Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Layoffs at id Software

A tweet noted on NeoGAF says that layoffs have hit id Software: "Some layoffs at idSoftware today, perhaps more to come later." Joystiq has a statement from id parent Zenimax Media saying they are "still recruiting and hiring qualified developers" for id Software, and that "development work on future id titles continues unabated," while offering this confirmation of cuts at the formerly indie developer:

As part of its standard business practice, id regularly evaluates staffing to ensure it has a workforce that meets the needs of the studio. As part of that process, some id employees were recently let go.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

68. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 16:08 Creston

D-Rock wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 13:31:
I can't think of another engine that has such a well rounded feature set (but feel free to debate -- perhaps I've missed an existing engine that is comparable?).

I like your post. Not really sure what particular "feature set" you're thinking about, but I think both the JC2 and Dunia engine kick Tech 5's ass. They run just as smoothly, and look a helluva lot better.

id Studio and the high res texture pack need to be released yesterday. I think more people will be impressed with id Tech 5 once that happens. I can't wait to start tinkering with it myself...

Yeah. Remember how you were going to be able to buy the game, pull down the console, type in idstudio, and voila? We haven't seen empty promises like those since Obama in '08.

/No Poflawa.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 15:54 avianflu

all great points/insights but like you say, we need to see a full-fledged game that is actually good that also uses those great megatextures. Otherwise yea disappointed with the Rage engine. I suspect Carmack is too.  

66. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 13:35 space captain

Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 12:33:
thats bullshit... sorry but you are not the spokesman for "The competitive multiplayer community"

At QuakeCon, Q3/QL have received the most attention for years.

yeh but thats entirely different from your previous statement

when Q2 came out, the "competitive multiplayer community" was just getting off the ground, and thats why id made Q3 to cater to their whims

and it was still all downhill from there, because id seemed to think they could do no wrong, that they were the ones setting the tone for fps in general... then half-life came along, then counter-strike, and then id was pretty much done

Go forth, and kill!

65. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 13:31 D-Rock

I remember Carmack going on stage with Jobs at a keynote speech several years ago and talking about how the RAGE engine was revolutionary.....

I'm assuming you're disagreeing with his statement?

The id Tech 5 engine is revolutionary, but the game used to 'demo' it is not. I think it's important to focus on the difference between the two.

id tech 5 is developer focused, with emphasis on simplification of cross-platform development (which we know is going to happen in this industry -- why not just make it easier and also take advantage of the strengths of each platform?). Megatexturing / virtual texturing is also a plus with cross-platform. That's some pretty cool technology and as far as I know there is not another engine that does this (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The engine handles multi-threaded processing quite well. It scales well.

It's designed with emphasis on consistent frames per second, which is something John C. has been aiming for for quite some time. In my experience playing the game it does this really well. I could care less about having the best / most detailed textures -- there's too much emphasis on that lately. There's something to be said for smooth and consistent game play and I don't think there's enough focus on that in other games.

RAGE showcases most of these strengths well. No, RAGE gameplay is not revolutionary, but the engine provides the tools to make a revolutionary game. I can't think of another engine that has such a well rounded feature set (but feel free to debate -- perhaps I've missed an existing engine that is comparable?).

Since when does id have a reputation for making good games with their engines anyway? It's usually another developer / modder that makes the engine truly shine. It's unfortunate that the engine will not be licensed, but it will continue to evolve and we'll probably see new features that make it even more impressive. I can't wait to see what the modding community does -- that's the main reason I bought the game in the first place.

id Studio and the high res texture pack need to be released yesterday. I think more people will be impressed with id Tech 5 once that happens. I can't wait to start tinkering with it myself...

64. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 12:33 Jerykk

thats bullshit... sorry but you are not the spokesman for "The competitive multiplayer community"

At QuakeCon, Q3/QL have received the most attention for years.

63. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 12:22 avianflu

I remember Carmack going on stage with Jobs at a keynote speech several years ago and talking about how the RAGE engine was revolutionary.....  

62. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 11:52 Beamer

Kajetan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 11:20:
Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 11:03:
It's not that they don't care, it's that they don't want to say anything that could possibly lead to a lawsuit.
How does "We are sorry, but we have to let go some folks. We thank them for their hard work and wish them all the best!" lead to a lawsuit?

This bullshit speak is targeted at the investors. Make them believe that everything is under control, that the company is on track and YES, WE ARE TOTALLY FINE!!!! DONT PULL YOUR INVESTMENT!!!!

This is true as well, but shareholders can also bring lawsuits, can they not? Also, many of the studios that Blue has covered here are not publicly traded companies. Their investors already know their books in and out. Lastly, investors really care more about what Pachter says than what these releases say.

But companies never get robotic when it's something that could blow up in their face. A simple slip like "they were such good employees and this hurts us" can lead to a lawsuit. Former employees sue. Shitty attorneys love getting them to do so.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 11:20 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 11:03:
It's not that they don't care, it's that they don't want to say anything that could possibly lead to a lawsuit.
How does "We are sorry, but we have to let go some folks. We thank them for their hard work and wish them all the best!" lead to a lawsuit?

This bullshit speak is targeted at the investors. Make them believe that everything is under control, that the company is on track and YES, WE ARE TOTALLY FINE!!!! DONT PULL YOUR INVESTMENT!!!!

60. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 11:03 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

59. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 10:55 Creston

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 23:20:
Why do these company layoff press releases have to come across so callous and impersonal? They sound like they are talking about emptying the cafeteria garbage bins. These are actual, real live people who are losing their jobs in a bad economy. Would it kill them to at least pretend they care?

bzzztt... does not... compute... feelings are irrelevant... join the collective... bbzzt.

/Publisher drone.

Yeah, they really don't give a shit. And they haven't for quite a long while. The fact that Gabe Newell cares so much about his employees is literally shocking in today's game industry.

Creston

58. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 10:50 Creston

And so it begins...

Bye id.

Creston

57. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 10:31 Verno

The invisible walls and very shallow elements are what killed Rage. You can't do a post apocalyptic game that takes so many liberties from Fallout but doesn't have even half as many features, not these days anyway. The FPS gameplay was solid and the AI was good but everything else felt very half assed, like they were just crossing off points on a list or something. Nothing original or inspired, just a very "ok everyone else has done this, lets do it too" feel that never goes further than that.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

56. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 10:31 space captain

Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 02:56:
The competitive multiplayer community generally agrees that Q2 was the worst Quake. P

Go forth, and kill!

55. Re: agreed.... Jan 11, 2012, 09:56 Kajetan

Shataan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 09:37:
What we got was a beautiful tech demo.
Which would be awesome in the days of Quake and Unreal, but nowadays texture sharpness and detail has evolved and increased tenfold. Rage looks sometimes like a fifteen year old game for the Diamond Monster 3D.

54. agreed.... Jan 11, 2012, 09:37 Shataan

"Time for them to retire "

A beautiful looking game, doesn`t make a for an awesome immersive sp game experience. Never have I played a game ie RAGE.... that felt so half baked. I figured since DOOM III delivered even with its tight closed enviros, RAGE would be a no brainer.

What we got was a beautiful tech demo. .... that felt very much like iD lost interest 3/4s the way thru. And even tho it had larger seeming enviros, it very much is still a corridor shooter.

RAGE was definately my last iD game. An expensive tech demo small on game, big on marketing bullshit.

53. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 09:32 Jackplug

Since Quake 3 its all gone down hill, games are just gfx and no gameplay.

I bought Rage and then sent it back cos it wouldnt work at all.

52. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 09:12 Lokust

I hope everyone who got let go lands on their feet  

51. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 07:35 Silicon Avatar

iD seems like it doesn't have any passion left.

I get the sense that Carmack is just at iD to finance his rocketry business/hobby these days. His divided attention is starting to show in the quality of his games. It's like the company doesn't have any leadership or inspiration left.

50. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 07:26 Paketep

Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 03:40:
Hidden & Dangerous is the only game until Rage that I felt came even close to creating such an immersive environment/atmosphere.

Did you ever play STALKER? I'd say that's the most atmospheric game I've played. A lot of it had to do with the dynamic lighting and ambient audio, as well as the dynamic and unpredictable encounters and the pseudo-open world. RAGE never really felt alive to me. It felt like a theme park.

Exactly. Stalker plus the Complete Mod is a fantastic game and looks incredible (lightning especially).

RAGE was a joke, and that's not even considering what an insult it was to the PC players that supported id for all those years. The best people at id left, and the only good ones remaining (Carmack and Willits) have lost their touch completely.

Time to retire for them and launch some rockets.

49. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 07:22 Kajetan

Pankin wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 07:12:
Do we know for certain that Rage tanked sales-wise?
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/25458/rage/

Ten weeks after release, 1.15 mio. 360, 0.8 mio. PS3, 0.2 mio PC (only retail, no Steam and other digital numbers), perhaps 3 Mio. units all together?

Not a failure, but nothing to write home about for a multiplattform release either. I guess Beth was expecting MUCH more.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo