Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kinect for Windows Next Month

Microsoft announces that Kinect for Windows will be released on February 1, 2012, featuring new hardware and software for the motion-detection peripheral (thanks ZDNet). Here's word:

Today, we are announcing that the new Kinect for Windows hardware and accompanying software will be available on February 1st, 2012 in 12 countries (United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, United Kingdom), at a suggested retail price of US $249. Kinect for Windows hardware will be available, in limited quantities at first, through a variety of resellers and distributors. The price includes a one-year warranty, access to ongoing software updates for both speech and human tracking, and our continued investment in Kinect for Windows-based software advancements. Later this year, we will offer special academic pricing (planned at US $149) for Qualified Educational Users.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 11, 2012, 16:55 frag.machine

Thanks Verno and Beamer for the info. Well, that's a shame, but can't say it's a surprise. I remember Asus announcing a similar device some time ago. If they don't overpriced it may be an interesting alternative perhaps ?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 11, 2012, 14:19 Verno

frag.machine wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 13:49:
So, does the PC version has a different (as in more powerful) hardware than the Xbox version, allowing for things like higher resolutions, higher scan frequencies, finger detection, more simultaneous users, etc ? If positive, then it's totally worth the money.

No, it is the usual gouging that Microsoft does in the peripheral market. Look any of their other offerings and you'll see the same vastly inflated margins when you compare the MSRP to the cost of goods sold.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

23. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 11, 2012, 14:04 Beamer

frag.machine wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 13:49:
So, does the PC version has a different (as in more powerful) hardware than the Xbox version, allowing for things like higher resolutions, higher scan frequencies, finger detection, more simultaneous users, etc ? If positive, then it's totally worth the money.

No. It's the exact same thing.
The Kinect is sold for a loss on the 360, or at least at manufacturing cost and not R&D, with the assumption that game purchases will make it successful in the long run.

The PC version required additional R&D and future support and will appeal to a smaller market, so it costs more.

I haven't seen their business case, but $100 more seems excessive. That R&D isn't covered by games is fine, whatever, since this is low volume and the same hardware I'd guess it could have been considered gravy with regard to manufacturing capacity. The additional support needed? I don't know. $100 above still sounds excessive.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 11, 2012, 13:49 frag.machine

21. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 22:19 HorrorScope

SXO wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 11:03:
My prediction: People will continue to use the regular Kinect for the PC the way they have since it first came out, using "hacks." The official PC version will be shunned due to its price, and Microsoft will respond to the poor sales by claiming there is no market for it on PC and further ignore PC consumers in the future.

This. It's a trap and we don't care.

20. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 22:07 Dades

Did someone just defend Kinect games? I've truly heard everything.  

19. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 21:09 tuddies

sauron wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 19:38:
m0deth wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 15:36:

These days, I spend my evenings playing Zelda with my kids. And bowling. On the Wii.

OH YEA! How can you seriously compare the KINECT with the parkinson's simulator called the WII?

Crap graphics and gay games, plus having a lame controller is fun? NO.

There is so much more fun to be had with my kids with KINECT than on the WII - the only exception being Mario!

KINECT sports season two, adventures, puss and boots, adventure camp, carnival games, kinectamals, big league sports, virtual tennis 4, dance central 2, gunstringer, joyride, wipeout 2 and so many more KINECT titles that are truly FUN without having a lame controller!

18. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 20:57 tuddies

avianflu wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 13:11:
the significant hardware problem with kinect is the half second delay and one wonders if a faster CPU on a PC will help with that. Not sure.

Don't think so - this is the XBOX kinect with a short-focus lens and different connector. The real Kinect will be released with the new XBOX in a year or two.

17. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 19:38 sauron

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 15:22:
nin wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 10:22:
I love their excuse to justify the $250 price.

They're basically saying "Just buy an Xbox with Kinect!"

Creston

Or, just buy Kinect, and use the free software already developed by folks unwilling to wait for M$ to market/monetize the software for it.

Either way, it won't see above 5% adoption for PC gaming, and will most likely be a bigger threat to Wacom and other graphics input companies than anything/anyone else.

I fear though, that this is a strategy, to have it intentionally fail, so just before the Xbox 720 release they can yet again claim some easily refuttable bullshit about the PC as a platform.

After using the Win 8 dev preview for a week or so now...I can honestly say, nobody will give a shit about Kinect for a version of windows that will be more widely rejected than M$ Bob, ME, and Vista combined.

Or just buy a Wii, which has had motion detection from day 1. And Zelda.

These days, I spend my evenings playing Zelda with my kids. And bowling. On the Wii.

Kittens!

16. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 18:16 Halo

Creston

Or, just buy Kinect, and use the free software already developed by folks unwilling to wait for M$ to market/monetize the software for it.

Either way, it won't see above 5% adoption for PC gaming, and will most likely be a bigger threat to Wacom and other graphics input companies than anything/anyone else.

I fear though, that this is a strategy, to have it intentionally fail, so just before the Xbox 720 release they can yet again claim some easily refuttable bullshit about the PC as a platform.

After using the Win 8 dev preview for a week or so now...I can honestly say, nobody will give a shit about Kinect for a version of windows that will be more widely rejected than M$ Bob, ME, and Vista combined.

Nobody bought the Kinect for PC, that must mean the PC is a dying platform.

15. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 15:36 m0deth

Creston

14. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 15:23 Prez

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 14:05:
And I want to flail around like spaz when I have better control with a mouse and keyboard why?

Laugh2 EXACTLY my reaction.

I've always thought motion control was a cool tech without an actual real application. A solution to a problem no one was having. Yeah, Minority Report was cool and all, but not everyone is as cool as Tom Cruise - the rest of us would just look like spastic retards.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

13. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 15:22 Creston

Creston

12. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 14:53 Agent.X7

Yay! We can haz Kinnekt fo Windowz!

Seriously, what is my motivation for wanting this aside from the "cool" tech factor? For $100 more on PC, I get no native games or apps? Oh, right. I need to wait and spend another $250 on WIndows 8.

Pass.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 14:05 Cutter

And I want to flail around like spaz when I have better control with a mouse and keyboard why? Oh yeah, and pay an extra $100 for the "priviledge". And MS continues to wonder why its sliding into obscurity. It's a wonder those clowns aren't bankrupt yet.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 13:53 PHJF

But I totally saw a commercial where people were defusing bombs and performing surgery with Kinect.

$250 for a surgery-performing bomb disposal unit?! Shut up and take my money!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 13:11 avianflu

the significant hardware problem with kinect is the half second delay and one wonders if a faster CPU on a PC will help with that. Not sure.  

8. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 12:49 Verno

You get a warranty and updates though, totally worth it.

Gotta love marketing, buy this product and receive a warranty! Holy shit a warranty, how generous!

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

7. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 12:46 necrosis

So its $149.99 for 360 but $249.99 for PC.

I doubt the "PC version" will work with the 360.

SXO is telling the future of this product.

6. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 12:19 Krovven

at a suggested retail price of US $249.

Had zero interest anyways, but damn they are really going to try and gouge people that want this on PC. Seriously, $100 more than the same thing on 360?

I hope this fails massively.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo