Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed

French site Gamekyo offers an image found somewhere on the internet showing the contents of a collector's edition for Aliens: Colonial Marines, revealing exclusive in-game content including new weapons and a new game mode this will include for Gearbox's upcoming Aliens shooter, along with a Colonial Marine statuette. Thanks VG247.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 19:22 PHJF

Prometheus gave the gift of fire to man. Mayhaps in this instance xenoforms are fire and once discovered by man they will spread and consume him (hence the movie tagline "They went looking for our beginning but what they found may be our end"). Fire is the ultimate destroyer.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 18:58 avianflu

V, c'mon we knew that. The question is why the ship is named after that particular demi-god and not say, Zeus. And further, Promotheus biggest role is that he gifted fire to humanity and was then brutally punished for it. Not all ancient versions of the Prometheus story have him as the creator of humanity. Fire in Ancient Greek is written like "technos" and yes that where we get the word technology from. A lot has been made of that over the centuries.

My point is that we will get some form of origin story out of the film and it will likely refer to the race from the derelict ship. Conjecture I know

venomhed wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:02:
Wrong about Prometheus:
http://www.theoi.com/Titan/TitanPrometheus.html

It is a Greek God, the creator of human kind.

46. Re: well..... Jan 9, 2012, 18:48 Dmitri_M

Ventura wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:25:
I absolutely loved the Jaguar AVP

I was hoping someone would have mentioned this in here, because as far as I'm concerned, the Atari Jaguar AvP game remains the best of them all.

A friend owned a Jaguar (what an investment!) and while I never got to play AvP on it I did love the look of the screenshots. Visually for the time it looked great. With all the retrogaming attempts of late one wonders why no one has bothered to release an FPS throw back with sprite enemies and guns. I love sprite guns. Rise of the Triad HD or something.

45. Re: well..... Jan 9, 2012, 18:19 Prez

**"Wow, 44 posts?" Prez wonders aloud as he goes to the beginning of the thread to see what conversation an insignificant news blurb such as this one could generate...**  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: well..... Jan 9, 2012, 18:09 theyarecomingforyou

Shataan wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 13:13:
I absolutely loved the Jaguar AVP, and the 1st AVP PC. Rebellion did an amazing job considering the PC hardware they had to work with at the time. Hated AVP 2 with a passion.
Indeed. I had incredible fun playing the original AVP, especially multiplayer. But I found AVP2 to be very clunky, with none of the atmosphere and feel that made the original game so compelling. The Lithtech engine was pretty poor - it just about worked for Shogo but that was about it - and the animations and movement were a noticeable step backwards. As for the recent AVP, technically it was quite a competent production but the atmosphere was lacking, the tension very contrived and the plot lacked significant hooks to draw you in. I certainly don't think it was worth at little as 68 on Metacritic, though I was disappointed by it overall.

Drezden wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 15:01:
The only thing that will save the Aliens franchise is the release of Ridley Scott's Prometheus. Bring it on Ridley.
If by "save" you mean "destroy", then yeah. While there are many less than subtle references to the Aliens universe, what with the project original being a prequel, it is a distinct IP. The first two films in the Alien franchise were exceptional but everything after that was pretty terrible, especially when they tried to turn it into a teen franchise (though in their own right they're not that bad). It's like Star Wars - although I have fond memories of it, so much damage has been done by terrible prequel-sequels that the magic is lost. I remember thinking how terrible they were, whereas Serenity came out of nowhere with a fraction of the budget and delivered better visuals, better acting, a better story and a classic film.

I'm not as negative about the games as most people here, as Gearbox was responsible for some great games like Borderlands and Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway. I have my concerns but given my low expectations for anything related to the Alien franchise it much just surprise me and be decent.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 18:02 |RaptoR|

Sempai wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 16:35:
Prometheus will kick much ass, i don't have a doubt in Scott whatsoever.

As for this game? I can only hope it's not a console ported piece of ass.
And going by Gearbox's reputation it will be a steaming pile of shit.

Gearbox made Borderlands
Borderlands was a Top 5 game of 2009 (and since, imo)

what makes you think gearbox is going to release a dud? Duke Forever?

Also, I saw this at PAX last year. Looked pretty good then, eager to see the progress it has made. They emphasized how they've hired a lot of the original designers from the second Aliens movie to consult on the game, and the feel of the game from PAX indicates that this was a wise decision.

42. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 17:31 FreezeStrike

Cornholio wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 15:18:
A billion?.... 1 in 7 people in the world(china 1.3b, India 1.2b, 4.5 for the rest of the world). Games that break a couple million are considered to be doing good. But a Billion? Some exaggeration there.

The biggest cost appears to be advertising these days and not the game production.

Think he meant sales $, not sales #. Some games, like CoD, can do a billion in sales. But that's not most games.

Most games are like Dead Island, which sell 1-3 million, and benefit heavily from multiplatforming. Games like that wouldn't be possible without targeting a very wide berth of potential customers. They sell heavily on consoles, with some nice backup sales on PC for a little porting effort.

For games like Skyrim, yea, less reason to have bad ports. But even those devs are often put under constraints (like a Christmas deadline) that makes gettting all the features in-time difficult.

41. Re: well..... Jan 9, 2012, 17:25 Ventura

I absolutely loved the Jaguar AVP

I was hoping someone would have mentioned this in here, because as far as I'm concerned, the Atari Jaguar AvP game remains the best of them all.

40. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 17:23 venomhed

Yes I agree, the similarities are there, but I just googled and read what Ridley Scott said in an interview last year. However, that interview was pulled! Strange eh?

Either way, it looks great and even looks more 2001 Space Odyssey (the trailer) than Alien. Lots of good content for a story there with the Space Jockey and all. A must see day one even if it sucks. I always have my fingers crossed when seeing these flicks hoping that one day the golden era of sci fi (80's - 90's) will return even for a little while.

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 17:17 Mad Max RW

After watching the trailer Prometheus is clearly part of the same universe. You have the "Weyland" company logo all over the vehicles and costumes. Alien had Weyland (actually spelled "Weylan" in the movie, but had "Weyland" in the script so explain that one), subsequently changed to Weyland-Yutani in Aliens and Alien 3 then bought by Walmart in Alien Resurrection (not kidding). So you kind of get an idea of the timeline. The Space Jockey ship is the same design as the derelict on LV-426. Is it the same ship and pilot? We won't know until the movie is out. Personally I hope not because it takes away from the mystery. But I have a strong suspicion it's supposed to be.  

38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 17:11 venomhed

Ya, sorry, my fault on that one.

Anyways, back to the game! Hahaha.

I think most of us here are more into the upcoming movie than this game, though to be honest I have to retract what I said earlier, doesn't look THAT bad but also doesn't look very original either (nor fun)

37. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 17:08 wallace321

This is now a Prometheus thread  

36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 17:02 venomhed

Wrong about Prometheus:
http://www.theoi.com/Titan/TitanPrometheus.html

It is a Greek God, the creator of human kind.

As my previous messages state, this seems more to be about a stand alone movie with a strange relationship to the Alien 1 and 2 movies but more to the creation of the human race by another race, The Makers.

Ridley Scott has confirmed: There will be NO APPEARANCES OF THE ORIGINAL ALIEN CREATURE.

Strange.... the Space Jockey appears to have been infected with one. This really is becoming a strange movie all around and how it will tie in is anyone's guess. BUT, he also stated

"The space jockey in Prometheus is not the space jockey found in Alien 1"

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:51 nin

avianflu wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 16:45:
The movie's title 'Prometheus' might refer to the race of giants on the dead ship, or possibly it could refer to an origin story about the "Alien" race or both, if you get my drift?

If we follow the idea of Alien 3 (I know, us purists say those last two didn't happen, but stick with me), where a dog produces a dog type alien, I wonder if the crew you see in the Prometheus trailer actually becomes (or hosts) the first batch of aliens. This would also explain the tag line "What they found could be our end".

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:48 Trevellian

The title "Prometheus" refers to the ship, and yes the movie is more about the Jockey's and The Makers than the aliens specifically. But that doesn't bother me, I've always been more into the mystery of the backstory that was untold in the original Alien, so this movie is for people like me.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:45 avianflu

The movie's title 'Prometheus' might refer to the race of giants on the dead ship, or possibly it could refer to an origin story about the "Alien" race or both, if you get my drift?  

32. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:41 Sempai

Krovven wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 16:35:
venomhed wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 15:43:
"Ridley Scott's Prometheus."

While I was very impressed with the stylistic trailer, what I am afraid of is that they are going to explain the mystery of the "Space Jockey" race rather than leaving it up to the imagination. I won't speculate, as the movie could be a great sci fi flick (chances are 1 in 1 billion).

It is supposed to be 30 years before the first Alien movie, doesn't seem like that long of time to explain the condition that they found the alien ship in. Also in the Prometheus trailer, the alien craft is upright where in Alien is is on it's (side) if it has one.

Still will go see it, really am praying that it will revive the Alien franchise and sci fi in general. Terminator Salvation wasn't too bad (better than Term 3), the last Predator was good (not as good as 1 or 2) The Thing sucked ass (except for the first 20 minutes and the last 5 minutes)

Sci Fi needs a boost, no more comic book character movies please!

Over analyzing to the point of taking the fun out of anything.

This is the type of person that will never have their expectations met.

Agreed 100%
And I thought Predators(Rodriguez)and Term Salv were absolute rubbish.

31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:35 Krovven

"Ridley Scott's Prometheus."

While I was very impressed with the stylistic trailer, what I am afraid of is that they are going to explain the mystery of the "Space Jockey" race rather than leaving it up to the imagination. I won't speculate, as the movie could be a great sci fi flick (chances are 1 in 1 billion).

It is supposed to be 30 years before the first Alien movie, doesn't seem like that long of time to explain the condition that they found the alien ship in. Also in the Prometheus trailer, the alien craft is upright where in Alien is is on it's (side) if it has one.

Still will go see it, really am praying that it will revive the Alien franchise and sci fi in general. Terminator Salvation wasn't too bad (better than Term 3), the last Predator was good (not as good as 1 or 2) The Thing sucked ass (except for the first 20 minutes and the last 5 minutes)

Over analyzing to the point of taking the fun out of anything.

This is the type of person that will never have their expectations met.

30. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:35 Sempai

Prometheus will kick much ass, i don't have a doubt in Scott whatsoever.

As for this game? I can only hope it's not a console ported piece of ass.
And going by Gearbox's reputation it will be a steaming pile of shit.

29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 16:34 DangerDog

As long as they keep making money, they'll keep making them (and rebooting them) *ugh* to Spiderman and Superman.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo