Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III in February?

Joystiq has an image of a store display in a Rochester, Minnesota Best Buy that seems to show a February 1 launch date for Diablo III, Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel. They have some follow ups that don't completely confirm or deny this, and word that the end-cap was legit, but has since been removed. Meanwhile, the Best Buy Website now shows a February 1 release date for the game.

View
280 Replies. 14 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

40. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 18:53 Yakubs

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:43:
I don't understand your sarcasm, because that's exactly the point I'm making. When enabled - which it is by default - the upload speed kills my internet connection, making even browsing the web slow down. All because they want to save bandwidth costs to increase their profit margin. Sleazebags.

It's very distressing, isn't it. I hate how I voluntarily start a download and voluntarily leave an option on to participate in peer-to-peer and then it uses up my bandwidth! Those Blizzard guys really are such sleazebags.

Maybe if you came at it from the angle of Blizzard taking advantage of unsuspecting casuals, you'd have SOME kind of leg to stand on. But given the fact that you self-diagnosed the problem with your bandwidth and (for some bizarre reason) you list your computer specs in your signature, it's hard for me to feel sorry for you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 18:29 eunichron

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:55:
eunichron wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:19:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:48:
Dirwulf wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 15:47:
Krovven wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 14:56:
While I agree completely, I hate p2p downloaders, and that it's default is on, but they are hardly being "sneaky".

WoW and SC2 are the same way, which means 10's of millions of people are fully aware of how the Blizzard uses a p2p downloader that is defaulted to on. It's only sharing while you are downloading.
If they weren't being sneaky they would provide an option during the install to enable or disable it. Even when installers try to change your default search engine - which is a sleazy business tactic - they provide a tick-box in the installer, which most people simply overlook anyway. Blizzard doesn't ask for permission to use your bandwidth, it just does it by default. It would be like buying a car and then they put a billboard up on your lawn because somewhere in the smallprint it said so - heck, even in that situation you'd know it was happening; the Blizzard downloader hides that it's uploading.

They are exploiting YOUR resources for THEIR commercial gain.

Every Blizzard downloader has had the ability to disable peer to peer downloading in the options. Whoever said it still uses peer to peer even when you uncheck the box is smoking crack. And not every installer has a checkbox to not install a stealth bar of some type. Starcraft did not have an open beta, and it sold just fine with a constant connection. Blizzard is as far from Ubi as you can get. They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM. They are using it for many different reasons.

I guess you never disabled that check, else you would still be downloading WoW patches from 2007.

I disable it every time and still get 1MB/s+ downloads with no upload. At least for me their HTTP direct download is usually faster than their P2P download.

I actually believe that, if your MB/s would be Mb/s.

Actually I do mean MB/s. My download speeds from most download services (Steam, Origin, Blizzard downloader) is generally 1-1.5 MB/s. Maybe you should get a better ISP.

38. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 18:04 Ventura

Ordinarly I'd have bought two copies, but where I'm going I'm not going to be able to satisfy that online requirement. At least, not all of the time.

While I'd like to think that the lack of offline play will impact their sales, I don't think it will. Anyone who wants to play this and has reliable internet isn't going to give a shit.

37. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:58 Slashman

And this is yet another Blizzard game I'm going to pass on.

I didn't tolerate that online only crud from Ubisoft and I'm not starting now with Blizzard.

36. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:55 SM0k3

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 15:29:
SM0k3 wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 15:10:
Blizzard is trying to OWN YOU, for their own benefit--not yours. Are you really going to let that happen? Then don't play their products.

Hell if they release D3 next month they can own me for the rest of this year for all I care.

Thank you for making the world a worse place to be. You're a real human bring.

Drama queen much? it's not that serious, every time blizzard news pops up a few of you god damned picket sign guys spew the same ole rhetoric because you all are too lazy to check your options and disable certain 'features' or just want to stir up sh!t for the sake of doing so.

Give it a freaking rest, and put your energy elsewhere.

35. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:55 Muscular Beaver

eunichron wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:19:
While I agree completely, I hate p2p downloaders, and that it's default is on, but they are hardly being "sneaky".

WoW and SC2 are the same way, which means 10's of millions of people are fully aware of how the Blizzard uses a p2p downloader that is defaulted to on. It's only sharing while you are downloading.
If they weren't being sneaky they would provide an option during the install to enable or disable it. Even when installers try to change your default search engine - which is a sleazy business tactic - they provide a tick-box in the installer, which most people simply overlook anyway. Blizzard doesn't ask for permission to use your bandwidth, it just does it by default. It would be like buying a car and then they put a billboard up on your lawn because somewhere in the smallprint it said so - heck, even in that situation you'd know it was happening; the Blizzard downloader hides that it's uploading.

Every Blizzard downloader has had the ability to disable peer to peer downloading in the options. Whoever said it still uses peer to peer even when you uncheck the box is smoking crack. And not every installer has a checkbox to not install a stealth bar of some type. Starcraft did not have an open beta, and it sold just fine with a constant connection. Blizzard is as far from Ubi as you can get. They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM. They are using it for many different reasons.

I guess you never disabled that check, else you would still be downloading WoW patches from 2007.

I disable it every time and still get 1MB/s+ downloads with no upload. At least for me their HTTP direct download is usually faster than their P2P download.

I actually believe that, if your MB/s would be Mb/s.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

34. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:43 theyarecomingforyou

Yakubs wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:12:
How DARE they use your bandwidth in an internet-based installer!!!!!! It's just criminal, I tell you.
I don't understand your sarcasm, because that's exactly the point I'm making. When enabled - which it is by default - the upload speed kills my internet connection, making even browsing the web slow down. All because they want to save bandwidth costs to increase their profit margin. Sleazebags.

Every Blizzard downloader has had the ability to disable peer to peer downloading in the options. Whoever said it still uses peer to peer even when you uncheck the box is smoking crack. You can check the peer to peer info under the "Info" option. So far i have 0.00 KB on upload, and I'm using peer to peer. And not every installer has a checkbox to not install a stealth bar of some type. Starcraft did not have an open beta, and it sold just fine with a constant connection. Blizzard is as far from Ubi as you can get. They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM. They are using it for many different reasons.
I don't know who claimed that - I don't recall reading that anywhere - but it certainly wasn't me.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

33. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:27 D_K_night

so many haters.

The game's going to be a megahit, sorry you haters will stew here in the forums while the rest of us will be enjoying ourselves.

I've used Blizzard downloader for SC2, WoW, and I will be using it once again for D3. I like being able to download my game quickly at full speed(AND there's an option to slow it down, that you people refuse to acknowledge for the sake of hating).

32. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:19 eunichron

31. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:12 Yakubs

How DARE they use your bandwidth in an internet-based installer!!!!!! It's just criminal, I tell you.

30. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 16:48 Muscular Beaver

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

29. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 16:48 Dades

They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM

Yes they are otherwise it would be used for the multiplayer alone.

28. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 16:43 Dirwulf

Every Blizzard downloader has had the ability to disable peer to peer downloading in the options. Whoever said it still uses peer to peer even when you uncheck the box is smoking crack. You can check the peer to peer info under the "Info" option. So far i have 0.00 KB on upload, and I'm using peer to peer. And not every installer has a checkbox to not install a stealth bar of some type. Starcraft did not have an open beta, and it sold just fine with a constant connection. Blizzard is as far from Ubi as you can get. They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM. They are using it for many different reasons.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2012, 16:49.

27. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 16:42 Shok

Diablo 3 just legitimizes the Ubisoft form of DRM. I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard found a way to charge a monthly fee at some point too. Won't it be fun when you can't play your single player game because of "server maintenance" or some other bs?  

26. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 16:01 PHJF

Well part of that is the fact that the beta is locked into normal difficulty. Once the harder difficulties open up, it will get much more difficulty all around. I've maxed out all chars in the beta (and gotten all beta achivements), and after a certain point, its all way too easy for many classes. Some classes are still difficult, but I think thats because their better abilities unlock on levels above the cap in the beta (at least they'd better, else some classes are going to suck).

Except we don't know any of that because "the beta" is just a demo. Are they seriously going to release a game as massive as this without real, comprehensive, external beta testing? Has WoW gotten to Blizzards' heads?

WE'LL FIX IT IN POST

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 15:59 Nate

The February release date isn't true apparently.

Voodoo Extreme provided the info below.

Update #2: Diablo 3 Community Manager Micah "Bashiok" Whipple sent out a Tweet about the situation, stating "We can't really keep every individual retail shop from making up a date."

24. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 15:47 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 15:43 flechett3

To the people who got in the beta and played through it once or twice, I hate you. I tried my damndest to get into that beta, and would have played that game until it cried.

Also, I can't wait to make a 95% profit on items I find that I don't physically have to store, hold, or mail while playing a game I'm going to love. I will gladly take 4.50 for a Shako. Someone out there will be foolish enough to buy it.

22. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 15:37 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 14:18:
...I won't be buying it. I can only hope enough other people feel the same way to make Blizzard realize they're wrong on this just like RealID.
I'm not happy with the consistent connect requirement but I suspect there is little chance sales being low enough for Blizzard to think they made a mistake.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 15:29 Cutter

SM0k3 wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 15:10:
Blizzard is trying to OWN YOU, for their own benefit--not yours. Are you really going to let that happen? Then don't play their products.

Hell if they release D3 next month they can own me for the rest of this year for all I care.

Thank you for making the world a worse place to be. You're a real human bring.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

280 Replies. 14 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo