Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III in February?

Joystiq has an image of a store display in a Rochester, Minnesota Best Buy that seems to show a February 1 launch date for Diablo III, Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel. They have some follow ups that don't completely confirm or deny this, and word that the end-cap was legit, but has since been removed. Meanwhile, the Best Buy Website now shows a February 1 release date for the game.

View
280 Replies. 14 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

180. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 22:03 Mr. Tact

Hmmm, are you saying we shouldn't have to defend it. Or that it's sad we are trying to? I would agree with the first, but not the second.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

179. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 22:01 Undocumented Alien

It is a pretty sad day in PC gaming when people need to defend their right to play a singleplayer game offline.

This.

178. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:57 Prez

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 21:17:
Diablo 3 isn't becoming a more online game though, it is comprised of the same gameplay elements and mechanics with an arbitrary online requirement. The Guild Wars thing is a red herring, it's not like Diablo and Guild Wars ownership was a 1:1 userbase and they were different games marketed at different segments. One thing becoming more restrictive with no real gameplay reason with a large potential for frustration isn't the same as another thing just existing.

As for grumbling, there seems to be plenty of that on all sides here. No one said you couldn't play the game the want you wanted to, they just want to do the same thing.

That's not even mentioning GW's instances with hundreds if not thousands of players all in the same "world"

Something Diablo doesn't even attempt to do. It's apples to oranges trying to call the two titles the same.

Yet another salient and reasonable point that will be ignored by people desperately clinging to the Guild Wars analogy for some inexplicable reason.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 22:03.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

177. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:52 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:32:
Was that with some sort of hack or did I miss that that was possible? I've been interested in some offline SC2 SP but I didn't think it was possible.
Well, if you are off-line (ie.. your ISP is down or you unplug your ethernet) SC2 will let you launch in offline mode. However, after 30 days you have to reconnect to battle.net. Other than actually being off-line, I don't know if it is possible to play off-line.

176. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:50 Prez

You're a cool guy Krovven, but you can't debate worth a damn. Infuriated and fanatical? Seriously? That's too stupid an assertion to dignify with a response. That I haven't given an answer that satisfies YOU doesn't mean I haven't answered your points satisfactorily, especially since I undoubtedly have. I don't t need your permission to be aggravated at Blizzard's actions in this matter, nor do I need your validation of whether or not I can still be a fan of Steam while refusing to accept Blizzard's excuses as to why they made Diablo a half-assed MMO.

I myself and others have listed a dozen or more points on which the GW/D3 analogy falls apart. Again, that you don't accept them is irrelevent. Points have been made, details have been given. To continue to ask for these things when they already have been provided doesn't make any sense. Accept them or don't, but move on. It's done.

If it makes you feel better, go right on pontificating how irrational and hysterical people who think for themselves and won't be bullied into giving Blizzard a pass for a bone-headed move simply because of who they are. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I won't lose any sleep.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 23:23.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

175. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:43 Mr. Tact

Red wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:40:
Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:25:
Agreed.
Clearly none of you works as a software developer.
Personally a developer? No. Work in a software company? Only for the last 15 years. You are spouting nonsense. You probably are a developer, based on the nonsense you spout. Actually, my guess would be you are third level management at least...

174. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:25 Dades

It is a pretty sad day in PC gaming when people need to defend their right to play a singleplayer game offline.  

173. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:17 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 21:14:
Diablo 3 isn't becoming a more online game though, it is comprised of the same gameplay elements and mechanics with an arbitrary online requirement. The Guild Wars thing is a red herring, it's not like Diablo and Guild Wars ownership was a 1:1 userbase and they were different games marketed at different segments. One thing becoming more restrictive with no real gameplay reason with a large potential for frustration isn't the same as another thing just existing.

As for grumbling, there seems to be plenty of that on all sides here. No one said you couldn't play the game the want you wanted to, they just want to do the same thing.

That's not even mentioning GW's instances with hundreds if not thousands of players all in the same "world"

Something Diablo doesn't even attempt to do. It's apples to oranges trying to call the two titles the same.

172. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 21:14 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

171. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 20:45 Krovven

Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:11:
So, to reiterate, unless I intricately explain my personal threshold in matters like these to your satisfaction, you default to thinking I'm a hypocrite. Nice.

Actually that's just usually how discussions work. One person says something and then states why that is. You only did the first part. I'm just trying to get your reason why. And in asking you to do that, I seem to have made you extremely pissy and you are now getting rude and defensive about it. I haven't called you a hypocrite, you did that yourself. I only said that your actions contradicted themselves.

I never particularly cared for Guild Wars, a game whose worst feature, incidentally, was the virtual requirement to play with other people.

The game was completable with the henchman. I'm sorry you found it too tough. That isnt the point here. Point here is the game at it's core is very similar to the game style established by Diablo, it even shares some developers. They share many similar features, some new features are showing up in Diablo 3, and some in GW2, some in Torchlight 2. But now here is the kicker...GW became a more solo friendly game as time went on. Diablo is becoming a more online game as time goes on. Things change.

To argue so fanatically over this to defend your point about being so infuriated by Diablo 3 being online only just baffles me. Particularly when you clearly don't have a problem being online to play your games.

I don't get it, and I clearly won't. I'll get the game and be happy. Many others will just grumble about it.

170. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 20:23 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:25:

On a side note, I played the entirety of SC2's awesome campaign OFFLINE.

That line cracked me up. Laugh

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

169. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 20:11 Undocumented Alien

Either way you still haven't explained how they are so vastly different that it's acceptable for GW and unacceptable for D3.

From Guild Wars Wiki: "Guild Wars is a CORPG, or Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game", "The game was designed from the ground up to be a competitive multi-player experience, focusing on high-level combat between two or more parties focusing more on player skill and innovative play rather than equipment"

D3 Wiki: "Diablo III is an upcoming dark fantasy/horror-themed action role-playing game in development by Blizzard, making it the third installment in the Diablo franchise. The game, which features elements of the hack and slash and dungeon crawl genres"

Seems pretty different to me.

168. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 20:01 Undocumented Alien

Clearly none of you works as a software developer. You can agree all you want, but the lot of you is wrong.

Besides the fact that I've been programming for over 15 years, it's completely IRRELEVANT because PLENTY of games have handled SP + MP for YEARS, including DIABLO. You are wrong based on existing FACTS.

On another note, Guild Wars and Diablo are about as close to the same game genre as two games can be. Both are third-person perspective action RPGs with customized heroes, AI helpers, random loot systems, and small-team online cooperate play with online avatar-only match-making rooms. That one of them allows for offline solo play hardly differentiates them on anything but a technical caveat (important to some people, but hardly relevant to the actual game).

Diablo isn't a 3rd person perspective game Mr. Awesome programmer. It's an ISOMETRIC 3/4 view game. 3rd person games are generally behind and over the shoulder of the avatar, but I'm sure you know that already. The difference between a SP mode and a MP mode is HUGE, I can't even comprehend how you think that the difference is "hardly relevant". It's the whole dam reason for this SP online debate....

NEXT!

167. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 19:37 Prez

Nope, not a hack. All that was needed was an offline profile - it was out-of-the box functionality. Which, incidentally, is among the top of the list of reasons why this always-online nonsense is considered such a regression on Blizzard's part by many reasonable people.

It's been a while since I played SC2, so I can't specifically direct you in exactly how to do it, but I remember it being fairly straightforward.

- Mahatma Gandhi

166. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 19:32 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:25:

Was that with some sort of hack or did I miss that that was possible? I've been interested in some offline SC2 SP but I didn't think it was possible.

165. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 19:25 Prez

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:14:

It's cool, I didn't say anyone has to hate Blizzard, but call it for what it is. They have unusually long dev cycles for titles that when you really break it down aren't that much better than competing titles in the same genre from other devs, pump out an expansion or 2 that's generally not alot of content for nearly the full price of a new title and have graphics that are generally 5 years outdated. Just so little Johnny can run it on his P4 single core well.

Sorry if that doesn't excite me or make me want to praise them as the greatest devs since sliced bread.

I agree to a point. Blizzard's epic development lengths are indeed ridiculously long given that the end product is not usually all that innovative. But no one, NO ONE, releases as polished a game with such amazing pacing and balance as Blizzard does. (Ignoring WoW here, which I loathe with every ounce of my being.) I personally was utterly astounded by the production values and all around immersion of Starcraft 2 even if there is truth in your assertion that it was little more than a refinement of the original game. One, I might add, that offered NO justification for the agonizing 10 frickin' year-long wait following Brood War. But hey, it's here now, and it totally rocked as far as I am concerned, so no point in dwelling.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 19:43.

- Mahatma Gandhi

164. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 19:14 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 18:44:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:15:
Thank you for making my point better than I did Darks,this is exactly pretty much what I was trying to get across. As to someone's comment about Blizzard is "small" isn't the D3 dev team like 100+ people at this point? Yep they're such a "small" indy studio.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, I just happen to disagree with it. I'm glad there are companies like Blizzard that take time to get their games polished to a spit shine. It's true that Blizzard tends to set their graphics level low so that it's playable on a wider variety of systems, they've been that way for 15 years (although SCII is currently a mainstay in graphics card testing). And it's true that their games are not the most innovative, but I appreciate a very well crafted RTS or action RPG in the same way I appreciate a good, well crafted action film. Neither is innovative, but they are a blast.

It takes 100 devs a couple of years to create an AAA title like Diablo III. That's not unusual. Of course they're not indie, but they don't have so many people as to release several games a year. Look at what Blizzard has released over the past decade. It hasn't been 1 game every 5 years, but seven games or expansion packs over the past 10 years. And all have been critically acclaimed.

Anyway, you and Darks are sending the best message you can: by not buying their games. I didn't buy SCII out of the gate, and neither will I get D3 that soon. But I'll get it eventually, unless it reviews absolutely terribly. I happen to like Blizzard games, you guys don't. To each his own.

It's cool, I didn't say anyone has to hate Blizzard, but call it for what it is. They have unusually long dev cycles for titles that when you really break it down aren't that much better than competing titles in the same genre from other devs, pump out an expansion or 2 that's generally not alot of content for nearly the full price of a new title and have graphics that are generally 5 years outdated. Just so little Johnny can run it on his P4 single core well.

Sorry if that doesn't excite me or make me want to praise them as the greatest devs since sliced bread.

163. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 19:11 Prez

Krovven wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 18:34:
Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:02:
yet there are differences too that people using the analogy to make their point conveniently ignore when making said point.

And you have yet to state them yourself other than saying that they exist. Which is why I did not comment any further to your response about that.

I pointed out the similarity of GW/D3. I pointed out that your stance is contrary to your action of owning over 1000 games on Steam, many of which require persistent online connection in order to play.

You still have not countered as to how that makes things different, only stated that it does.

I don't dictate to Blizzard how they make games. But if they can change the direction their game takes from previous iterations (offline SP in the first 2 games, always online DRM for the third), then I can change my buying decisions just as easily.

I don't disagree at all. I'm just having a hard time following your actual reasons for it, because currently I don't see any that don't contradict with your other habits.

So, to reiterate, unless I intricately explain my personal threshold in matters like these to your satisfaction, you default to thinking I'm a hypocrite. Nice.

At any time, I can play a Steam game not specifically designed for multiplayer offline not connected to the internet. It's that simple. Last Summer, I went on vacation to my in-laws' house in rural Pennsylvania for a month and they have no internet at all (the HORROR!), and yet I played Steam games the whole time. It is absolutely, utterly irrefutable that this is not going to be possible with Diablo 3's currently planned always-on DRM. That such a glaring difference is apparently eluding you is a bit surprising to be honest.

And yes, my response was indeed ignoring the tiresome and pointless Guild Wars analogy. Interesting that you quoted me while leaving the first, heinously stupid assertion of his post that I was actually responding to, off entirely, making it look like I was solely addressing the GW/D3 analogy. (I'll assume it was just a mistaken assumption on your part and not a deliberate mis-representation)

I never particularly cared for Guild Wars, a game whose worst feature, incidentally, was the virtual requirement to play with other people. Against my better judgement, I bought Guild Wars in the first month, thinking I could actually solo the campaign. While technically possible, the henchman (no heroes at release, remember - they came 18 months later in "Nightfall") were so abysmally useless that by mid campaign it was absolutely impossible for me to continue soloing the game. To say the Guild Wars was a "solo-friendly" game that required an online
connection, thus making it comparable to Diablo 3, is ludicrous at best, and disingenuous at worst. Heroes have made the game a little more solo-friendly now, but that was long after the initial game (which later became know as GW Prophecies) released as a decidely "non-soloable" game. I hastily shelved it soon after. The Guild Wars analogy simply does not fly.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 19:52.

- Mahatma Gandhi

162. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 19:10 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 18:39:
Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:57:
Red wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:40:
Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:25:
Agreed.
Guild Wars and Diablo are about as close to the same game genre as two games can be. Both are third-person perspective action RPGs with customized heroes, AI helpers, random loot systems, and small-team online cooperate play with online avatar-only match-making rooms. That one of them allows for offline solo play hardly differentiates them on anything but a technical caveat (important to some people, but hardly relevant to the actual game).

What a bunch of unmitigated bullshit. Seriously, that has to be one of the most ridiculously irrelevant, unbelievably pointless arguments I've seen made on an internet forum in a long time. This whole conversation has taken a turn for the stupid.

Disregarding the first part of his post...I agree with him on this part. You call it "unmitigated bullshit", or maybe you were referring to the first part of his post and completely disregarding the rest of it. Either way you still haven't explained how they are so vastly different that it's acceptable for GW and unacceptable for D3.

So the fact that GW is an instanced MMO with 1000's of users in the same areas is exactly the same as Diablo where you can create your own session and play alone or in the past play offline alone? Yep they're exactly the same!

161. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 18:44 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 17:15:
Thank you for making my point better than I did Darks,this is exactly pretty much what I was trying to get across. As to someone's comment about Blizzard is "small" isn't the D3 dev team like 100+ people at this point? Yep they're such a "small" indy studio.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, I just happen to disagree with it. I'm glad there are companies like Blizzard that take time to get their games polished to a spit shine. It's true that Blizzard tends to set their graphics level low so that it's playable on a wider variety of systems, they've been that way for 15 years (although SCII is currently a mainstay in graphics card testing). And it's true that their games are not the most innovative, but I appreciate a very well crafted RTS or action RPG in the same way I appreciate a good, well crafted action film. Neither is innovative, but they are a blast.

It takes 100 devs a couple of years to create an AAA title like Diablo III. That's not unusual. Of course they're not indie, but they don't have so many people as to release several games a year. Look at what Blizzard has released over the past decade. It hasn't been 1 game every 5 years, but seven games or expansion packs over the past 10 years. And all have been critically acclaimed.

Anyway, you and Darks are sending the best message you can: by not buying their games. I didn't buy SCII out of the gate, and neither will I get D3 that soon. But I'll get it eventually, unless it reviews absolutely terribly. I happen to like Blizzard games, you guys don't. To each his own.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

280 Replies. 14 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo