Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III in February?

Joystiq has an image of a store display in a Rochester, Minnesota Best Buy that seems to show a February 1 launch date for Diablo III, Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel. They have some follow ups that don't completely confirm or deny this, and word that the end-cap was legit, but has since been removed. Meanwhile, the Best Buy Website now shows a February 1 release date for the game.

View
280 Replies. 14 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

120. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 14:09 Krovven

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 13:15:
Except in the case of Diablo 3 there is zero reason to force a player to be online, the first 2 didn't require it, why should the third?

Oh wait easy answer, to try to force people to use their real money transaction rape house.

Right, cus that's why...funny how I've probably put 20+ hours into the beta and have yet to even look at the Auction House. You don't have to use it buying or selling. Has fuck all to do with being a persistent online connection.

I get that people don't like forced online requirement even if playing solo. I even get why, primarily because many look at it as solely a form of DRM. With it being primarily a mutliplayer game, being able to take a solo toon into multiplayer and the fact that fixes and changes can be made on Battle.net end without a patch are two very good reasons why I'm ok with online play even if I play solo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

119. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 14:08 Hammer

Back on topic - not that it's worth anything, but Amazon Canada is showing a March 31st date...

http://www.amazon.ca/ACTIVISION-Diablo-III-3/dp/B00178630A

118. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:58 Krovven

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 11:26:
Diablo - First and second release(s) needed ZERO internet connection for BOTH SP AND MP.

Different expectations for different games.

Boom. People are up in arms over their own "expectations". Reality is...things change.

117. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:54 Krovven

Ventura wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 05:44:
You're joking, right? Take your computer offline and see how many of your Steam games you can play while it's in offline mode. I just fired up Torchlight, MW3 and Dungeon Defenders with my network cable pulled from the back.

Wrong question to ask. Now ask, how often do I have to go offline to play games on Steam? Basically never, less than 1% of the time. Now ask me how many games I play online...most of them. Now, why would I care if Diablo 3 is online only? I don't, because it's probably never going to effect me beyond how any other online game being offline has in the past.

While that may be a problem for you, it's not for me. And I don't think it will be for Prez or many others complaining about a persistent connection that online effects single-player. Particularly when the reality is that Diablo 3 is primarily a multiplayer/coop game.

Guild Wars requires a persistent connection and is as much an MMO as Diablo3, yet people don't whine about it here and never did when the game was coming out.

116. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:31 Mr. Tact

I don't see how.. only play games I've bought. Don't do on-line music at all. I suppose it's possible I've watched a youtube video with copyrighted material that got posted without permission. But I certainly didn't download any, besides outside of watching some LP series, I don't watch many youtube videos.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

115. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:29 Overon

I don't think Best Buy knows what Blizzard doesn't. Or maybe Blizzard isn't saying. But retailer ships dates have been wrong so often that there is no reason to believe that this ship date is correct.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 13:47.

114. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:27 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 13:19:
Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 12:14:
Unless you're going to be the one who insists that he has never pirated a single song, game, movie or etc in which case we'll all have a collective laugh at your expense.
I am and I haven't. Laugh away, causes me no concern.

I'm sorry but it's absurd, you have committed some form of "piracy" in your lifetime even if it was unknowingly. The way our copyright system and IP law is structured you would practically need to live in a bubble to avoid it. Regardless, piracy is a scapegoat in this scenario and a meaningless one in the case of Blizzard who enjoys massive success for their titles already, they have no real need of any advanced copy protection - their name is their anti-piracy shield.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

113. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:19 Mr. Tact

Unless you're going to be the one who insists that he has never pirated a single song, game, movie or etc in which case we'll all have a collective laugh at your expense.
I am and I haven't. Laugh away, causes me no concern.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

112. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:16 Undocumented Alien

As for users without connections, they're not really legitimate consumers of this particular application since it will say in its requirements that an online connection mandatory. You don't buy games for which you don't meet the requirements and then complain about it.

They were legit customers for Diablo and Diablo 2. It's disgraceful that Blizz will not let them participate with D3 in regards to the SP campaign. Still looking for a legitimate reason for this like others here.

What were these SP games that you could not play without an internet connection?

111. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:15 RollinThundr

Red wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 12:53:
we're talking about functionality that will affect legitimate consumers
Being logged in online isn't new technology in the software world. I have lots of games that don't work if I'm not online, and it's quite rare for my experience to be hindered by their servers being unexpectedly busted. If Blizzard can't handle technology as simple as this, it really will be pathetic. And legitmate consumers should rightfully be mad. But I'm hopeful that they have at least a basic grasp of how to make a connected service application.

As for users without connections, they're not really legitimate consumers of this particular application since it will say in its requirements that an online connection mandatory. You don't buy games for which you don't meet the requirements and then complain about it. Of course you can certainly complain from the "but i wanted to be a legit consumer" point of view.

Except in the case of Diablo 3 there is zero reason to force a player to be online, the first 2 didn't require it, why should the third?

Oh wait easy answer, to try to force people to use their real money transaction rape house.

I mean it's not like this will stop the out of control duping the first 2 titles had. I'm sure people will be running around with Rings of Zodiac and SOJ's day 1 as trade currency.

Forcing a mp component down people's throats when both prior titles had single player just fine, is flat out retarded.

110. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 13:12 Verno

Being logged in online isn't new technology in the software world.

There's a difference between persistence and activation, the latter most people have become accustomed to. Most people have no problem with multiplayer technology and the potential pitfalls, it's that aspect of it affecting the traditional singleplayer campaign that they have an issue with which is totally understandable.

The people without internet connections aren't really the ones concerned, it's the people who are aware of the many factors that can interrupt the proposed experience. Having played years of online games (and having spent some time in this specific one) I don't have confidence in any company to provide a flawless online experience to be married to singleplayer functionality.

Is it a deal breaker? Probably not, it will depend on the individual. I just don't think for $60 and with Blizzard's traditionally high sales that this was even remotely necessary.

109. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 12:53 Red

we're talking about functionality that will affect legitimate consumers
Being logged in online isn't new technology in the software world. I have lots of games that don't work if I'm not online, and it's quite rare for my experience to be hindered by their servers being unexpectedly busted. If Blizzard can't handle technology as simple as this, it really will be pathetic. And legitmate consumers should rightfully be mad. But I'm hopeful that they have at least a basic grasp of how to make a connected service application.

As for users without connections, they're not really legitimate consumers of this particular application since it will say in its requirements that an online connection mandatory. You don't buy games for which you don't meet the requirements and then complain about it. Of course you can certainly complain from the "but i wanted to be a legit consumer" point of view.

108. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 12:37 Prez

AnointedSword wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 12:02:
I tend to believe that 90% of Blue posters are warez machines...Just saying...DRM that!

Obvious troll attempt. No reply required. Oh wait... Damn!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

107. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 12:14 Verno

AnointedSword wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 12:02:
I tend to believe that 90% of Blue posters are warez machines...Just saying...DRM that!

Pretty much every internet user is a warez machine, yourself included. Unless you're going to be the one who insists that he has never pirated a single song, game, movie or etc in which case we'll all have a collective laugh at your expense.

Warez is just an amusing scapegoat in this scenario anyway, we're talking about functionality that will affect legitimate consumers, not warez users.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 12:42.

106. No subject Jan 9, 2012, 12:02 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

105. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 11:57 Prez

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a reasonable design explanation that the campaign requires a persistent internet connection. That's really the basis for peoples frustrating here, most people reasonably expect internet checks these days but it's the persistent aspect that is bothering people.

I suspect no one can give one because there is no valid reasoning behind the move...

Of course there is no valid reasoning behind the move, your suspicions are correct. The Guild Wars analogy is dead out of the gate but inexplicably people still use it to attempt to invalidate reasonable frustrations at a disastrously stupid move by an otherwise fantastic development studio.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

104. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 11:51 Undocumented Alien

It is bad DRM if it is added to a sequel but not an issue if it is a new IP?

It's bad DRM, period. If Ubisoft was doing this 90%+ of the posters here would be crucifying them for it. But since it's Blizzard and Diablo 3 for some reason it's OK. Definitely takes ANY credibility away from anyone who complains about Ubisoft online DRM etc in the future.

If you read what people are saying, having MP be online only is NOT a problem, but SP?

If Blizz succeeds with this crap model we will see EVERY game needing an ALWAYS on connection for SP games. Not good IMHO.

103. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 11:39 Verno

briktal wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 11:33:
Well I was counting "not buying the game specifically because of this requirement" as "being upset".

Why does Guild Wars require you to be online for campaign play? They could've made the whole game for a single player + henchmen, with optional online multiplayer. Is it only a blatant attempt at control and anti-piracy when it's a sequel to a game that didn't have it? It is bad DRM if it is added to a sequel but not an issue if it is a new IP?

Apples and oranges stuff that's already been answered IMO, one is a quasi-MMO with ambitions at being a full one, the other was a game with distinctly separate functionality. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a reasonable design explanation that the campaign requires a persistent internet connection. That's really the basis for peoples frustrating here, most people reasonably expect internet checks these days but it's the persistent aspect that is bothering people.

I suspect no one can give one because there is no valid reasoning behind the move, it's strictly protection of their property or whatever you want to label it.

That's not an inherently evil thing or something, it just has obvious downsides and potential sources of frustration that some people here seem to want to handwave away. Having experienced some of those first hand I don't really see how voicing them makes people unreasonable haters or whatever.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2012, 11:44.

102. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 11:33 briktal

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 08:29:
briktal wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 08:02:
When Guild Wars was new, were people upset it required you to be online?

I don't really see how they are directly comparable. In fact I've asked in several different topics and never heard a single answer other than DRM as to why the online requirement is there for campaign play. Let's be honest, we all know there is no design reasoning behind it, it's a blatant attempt at control and anti-piracy. Even Starcraft 2 did not require a persistent connection.

I don't even see many people "whining" here, just voicing valid concerns and many of us were in beta so we know what to expect. Discussing things != being a hater.

Well I was counting "not buying the game specifically because of this requirement" as "being upset".

Why does Guild Wars require you to be online for campaign play? They could've made the whole game for a single player + henchmen, with optional online multiplayer. Is it only a blatant attempt at control and anti-piracy when it's a sequel to a game that didn't have it? It is bad DRM if it is added to a sequel but not an issue if it is a new IP?

101. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 11:26 Undocumented Alien

When Guild Wars was new, were people upset it required you to be online?

Guild Wars - First release, online connection needed from day 1.

Diablo - First and second release(s) needed ZERO internet connection for BOTH SP AND MP.

Different expectations for different games. Most of us Diablo fans just want a sequel to play like we had with Diablo and Diablo 2.

I personally travel A LOT for business so this always on IS a deal breaker for me.

Hopefully someday down the road they will allow the SP portion of D3 to have an OFFLINE mode. I personally don't care about trading items from a SP portion of a game, pretty stupid constraint.

If they want to control MP, I have NO issue with having to be online for THAT.

280 Replies. 14 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo