Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has details on a new patch for BioWare's new Force-powered MMORPG that's live on the PTR (thanks VG247). On a related note, The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums have more on plans to patch ability delays going forward (thanks Graham). Here's word from Technical Design Director Emmanuel Lusinchi:

During the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic, weve been paying a lot of attention to the games responsiveness. As pointed out by some people on the Forum, a very responsive experience is one of the factors that separate the best MMOs from the others. This is something we are fully aware of and take extremely seriously.

Several of the issues brought forth by the community have already been dealt with and you should see the fixes integrated in coming patches, including those coming this month. Every lead mentioned on the forum is being investigated and I cannot stress enough how useful your feedback is especially when coupled with the level of details found in some of the posts.

So Id really like to thank the community for this very constructive feedback.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 9, 2012, 08:39 RollinThundr

Tumbler wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:09:
I have been playing since early start and have many days of played time. I have not noticed any 'responsiveness' problem at all.

I deal with it constantly. The cover system is a big problem at the moment. It's worst in pvp when you have to go into cover before you can use a lot of your attacks. It must take 2-3 seconds for the game to respond to the shift F command, god help you is you use the "Take Cover" ability and the game needs to find a spot to roll to. And then cover behind terrain stops a lot of your attacks from working!

A lot of the sniper shots lag, ambush in particular charges for 2.5 seconds then sits there waiting to fire and goes off a full second later in most cases. In PvE the delay is manageable but it was a lot better in the opening days when they were keeping the server loads light. Now that they've scaled up the number of players online at the same time the game is not performing well.

Empire station is ridiculous now. 5 fps all the time. The game runs fantastic with lower numbers of players but once you get above 175 or so and there are large groups the game starts choking on everything it's trying to load. It's great in the middle of the night, very few people in any of the zones, empire station is maybe 50 people, so runs like glass.

I want them to give us smaller instances so it runs better. I'd be happy with an empty instance just for me if I chose that option.

Space combat has also started to stutter...not sure why, this appears to be a private instance for each player, I would hope the game would run much better during those...

All that said, I'm really enjoying the game. So far the updates and such have been enough to keep more a bit happier than frustrated but they seem to keep pushing me to that line then they fix something. I think the IA is getting an update on monday that includes something I hope will help with the cover system.

I'd like them to work on the GTN, searching for gear is tedious and often a waste of time.

I think it affects the gun classes far more than the lightsaber classes. I deal with it with my BH all the time. Powershot lags 9 out of 10 times, heck I have another skill that if I use it when a creature has low health and it dies before a certain amount of the animation fires off, my character just continues shooting at it, even if it's dead on the ground untill I use another skill to cancle it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 16:09 Tumbler

I have been playing since early start and have many days of played time. I have not noticed any 'responsiveness' problem at all.

I deal with it constantly. The cover system is a big problem at the moment. It's worst in pvp when you have to go into cover before you can use a lot of your attacks. It must take 2-3 seconds for the game to respond to the shift F command, god help you is you use the "Take Cover" ability and the game needs to find a spot to roll to. And then cover behind terrain stops a lot of your attacks from working!

A lot of the sniper shots lag, ambush in particular charges for 2.5 seconds then sits there waiting to fire and goes off a full second later in most cases. In PvE the delay is manageable but it was a lot better in the opening days when they were keeping the server loads light. Now that they've scaled up the number of players online at the same time the game is not performing well.

Empire station is ridiculous now. 5 fps all the time. The game runs fantastic with lower numbers of players but once you get above 175 or so and there are large groups the game starts choking on everything it's trying to load. It's great in the middle of the night, very few people in any of the zones, empire station is maybe 50 people, so runs like glass.

I want them to give us smaller instances so it runs better. I'd be happy with an empty instance just for me if I chose that option.

Space combat has also started to stutter...not sure why, this appears to be a private instance for each player, I would hope the game would run much better during those...

All that said, I'm really enjoying the game. So far the updates and such have been enough to keep more a bit happier than frustrated but they seem to keep pushing me to that line then they fix something. I think the IA is getting an update on monday that includes something I hope will help with the cover system.

I'd like them to work on the GTN, searching for gear is tedious and often a waste of time.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 15:38 Wallshadows

The way the damage is dealt threw me through a loop at first. It seems like on my Marauder, the damage was being done before the hits would actually land and I have about ~65ms of latency. It's especially noticeable on attacks such as Ravage.

Nothing game breaking, it just felt a little out of sync and awkward until I got used to it and have since rolled a Sniper which plays fairly well.

20. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 15:14 DarkCntry

Alamar wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 12:59:
nin wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 22:33:
mlw wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 17:08:

I've only noticed it when I cast Crushing Darkness immediately followed by Force Lighting. It's like there's an extra second or so of animation for CD after the cast, which in turn appears to clip the damaged of FL, since it's channeled.

Hope it's fixed soon...

In my case, force lightning often starts one handed, and goes to two (as a Sorc). The damage shows up right away though...

Either way, I see the claims that the damage is delayed, but can you really tell? Sometimes, the scrolling text is slow, but that doesn't mean the damage went out at the same time.

-Alamar

The only time I've had damage 'lost' is if I have the traited lighting that allows it to double-tick at half the channel speed.

19. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 12:59 Alamar

I've only noticed it when I cast Crushing Darkness immediately followed by Force Lighting. It's like there's an extra second or so of animation for CD after the cast, which in turn appears to clip the damaged of FL, since it's channeled.

Hope it's fixed soon...

In my case, force lightning often starts one handed, and goes to two (as a Sorc). The damage shows up right away though...

Either way, I see the claims that the damage is delayed, but can you really tell? Sometimes, the scrolling text is slow, but that doesn't mean the damage went out at the same time.

-Alamar

18. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 07:42 KilrathiAce

Of course they gonna support and respond quickly, this wow(starwars) is a goldmine for robbin kids of money subscription and license lol, plus addictive. In the end its just an mmo however.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

17. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 02:59 OldTimber

The game would be more responsive if it didn't run on such a crapfest of a engine. Already feeling my 80 spent on the box + upgrade is going to waste 3 weeks in. And yeah I beta'ed so should have seen it coming but hoped for more.  

16. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 01:48 Dades

Drezden wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 18:37:
Maybe you need your hand held, I don't.

Yeah what a baby, wanting a queuing system in an MMO with variable latency Rolleyes

15. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 00:16 jacobvandy

Drezden wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 18:37:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 18:22:
The queue window is supposed to HELP responsiveness, by enabling you to overcome lag or your own reflexes by initiating your next ability before the cooldown or channeling is done. It's very important if you want to maintain the highest possible DPS or HPS, because even a delay of half a second could mean you missed out on dishing 1000+ points.

How in the hell is that hand-holding? Do you think there's some kind of skill involved with tapping the hotkey repeatedly so that the ability fires as soon as the cooldown is done? (If you say you don't do that, having the queue window disabled, you're a liar.) Because eliminating that is all the feature is for. Maybe you don't remember KOTOR, where you could queue up as many abilities as you wanted, with the game paused... Obviously that wouldn't work in a multiplayer game, so this is a compromise of sorts.

14. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 23:05 DarkCntry

Hope it's fixed soon...

Another way to see it in action is to alternate between FL and Lightning Bolt...you'll see the channel and cast bars actually 'overlap'.

13. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 22:33 nin

Hope it's fixed soon...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 21:18 Ray Marden

I think it is a lot of little things, really.

I average a ping in the range of 25ms-30ms, but it is not uncommon to notice small items here and there - abilities that don't respond, characters ths show up in one location and then teleports to another, etc.

All that said, the game just launched and this is not a-typical for any MMOG. The only points where it really, really sucks is when you are trying to get some of the more difficlt datacrons. My wife and I had one today where we were both able to routinely get my Jedi Sentinal to make the required jumps (on both systems,) but her Jedi Sage took us a good half hour or so to complete (again, on both systems) because her toon seemed to have some type of issue with this specific jump.

Otherwise, some of the mechanics just need to be tweaked. My toon is built around a buffing mechanic that takes 4-5 mobs to build up the focus (combo points) for, but this is counter-intuitive to the rest of my burst damage moves and/or how quickly enemies die. Further, though I am not yet max level nor have I raid geared, I miss a lot. Given how my character is built around mechanics similar to energy and combo points, missing frequently can throw off my entire rotation. Just from a "WTF" perspective, some of my most devastating moves rarely - rarely - ever hit their targets.

But outside of datacrons, noticeable lag is not significant, at least not on my server. Note, though, that some of the server populations are out of whack - on nights where my server has no queue, I have see other east-coast servers with two-plus hour queues. I would imagine performance issues are more significant on those servers.
Now, to just tweak the UI a tad...
Edit: A lot of animations and smaller items are pushed to the local client, but the servers can lag now and then. When comparing our two screens, every now and then they will show completely different positions of various items.

Down to the last handful of quests on Nar Shadaa,
Ray

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2012, 23:07.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

11. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 20:36 Lorcin

Rossafur wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 18:34:
There's no way that would possibly happen, as every romance line is denoted with [flirt]. I have no problem with the game allowing any sort of romance option so long as it's always just an OPTION, ie: the way it already is -denoted with [flirt] in the dialogue choices.
I play the game for the great story-lines and story choices, without that it's just like any other mmo. If they are NEVER going to allow that companion as a same-sex romance option, then it would be easy to go back to playing my character. But if I keep playing, get to 50, and then they patch it in at some point down the line, then that whole storyline has been missed out on.

Thing is this is an MMO and you've already said your not a e-peener dps whore so I guess your playing for the social and storyline aspects - NOT the hardcore endgame PvE raids (when they come).

They know damn well people who aren't that interested in endgame will play more than one storyline, as a minimum most Lore players will play at least one storyline on Empire and Republic - and if they can get you to play it through twice more in 6 months time with the offer of same sex relationships then they'll damn well implement them.

I can't think of another MMO where you actual have a social rank depening on how often you team with other people. They've spotted a new demographic and are going after it.

10. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 20:03 Rossafur

Lorcin wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 19:30:
I bloody hope they don't retroactively make some of my companions gay and my previously innocent compliments mean I'm suddenly in a relationship with them - btw before you condemn me as being homophobic imagine if the changes suddenly mean your in a straight relationship.

Furthermore if having ANY kind of relationship with a VIRTUAL character means that much to you that you'd stop playing the game, I strongly suggest you put the mouse down and go to the nearest gay/straight/transgender/hermaphrodite bar.

There's no way that would possibly happen, as every romance line is denoted with [flirt]. I have no problem with the game allowing any sort of romance option so long as it's always just an OPTION, ie: the way it already is -denoted with [flirt] in the dialogue choices.
I play the game for the great story-lines and story choices, without that it's just like any other mmo. If they are NEVER going to allow that companion as a same-sex romance option, then it would be easy to go back to playing my character. But if I keep playing, get to 50, and then they patch it in at some point down the line, then that whole storyline has been missed out on.

9. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 19:57 Lorcin

Sidenote - can we forget patches, upgrades, balancing and even new content. Can you just give the Russian players their own servers please ?  

8. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 19:30 Lorcin

Support for why I play this (and most other MMO's) like an SP game. Power-gaming DPS stat e-peen flexers drive me nuts.

Anyway, I just got Jaesa Willsaam as a companion for my Sith Marauder only to find out they didn't implement same-sex relations for her or *any* of the companions. Supposedly will be a "post-launch" addition, but who knows when that will be (if ever) or if it will even be retro-active for existing companions or only new ones. And yes, I'm pathetic enough that this could be a deal-breaker on continuing to play that character until it's implemented (if it's going to be implemented). I would have suffered through staring at a male character as my avatar if I knew this was the case. Curse them and curse me for not researching that it had been switched from a launch to a post-launch feature ahead of time!

I bloody hope they don't retroactively make some of my companions gay and my previously innocent compliments mean I'm suddenly in a relationship with them - btw before you condemn me as being homophobic imagine if the changes suddenly mean your in a straight relationship.

Furthermore if having ANY kind of relationship with a VIRTUAL character means that much to you that you'd stop playing the game, I strongly suggest you put the mouse down and go to the nearest gay/straight/transgender/hermaphrodite bar.

7. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 19:04 briktal

The main problem is that unlike most MMOs, ability usage depends on the animations. If you swing your sword at someone, they don't take damage until the sword hits them, if you shoot at someone, they don't take damage until you set your gun, fire and have the blaster bolt hit them. It is more of an issue in PvP. I have a couple channeled abilities, and my character doesn't even start shooting until a second into them. That's extra time for the enemy to move away or get a heal or interrupt you before you get your shot in.  

6. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 18:37 Trevellian

The queue window is supposed to HELP responsiveness, by enabling you to overcome lag or your own reflexes by initiating your next ability before the cooldown or channeling is done. It's very important if you want to maintain the highest possible DPS or HPS, because even a delay of half a second could mean you missed out on dishing 1000+ points.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

5. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 18:34 Rossafur

Support for why I play this (and most other MMO's) like an SP game. Power-gaming DPS stat e-peen flexers drive me nuts.

Anyway, I just got Jaesa Willsaam as a companion for my Sith Marauder only to find out they didn't implement same-sex relations for her or *any* of the companions. Supposedly will be a "post-launch" addition, but who knows when that will be (if ever) or if it will even be retro-active for existing companions or only new ones. And yes, I'm pathetic enough that this could be a deal-breaker on continuing to play that character until it's implemented (if it's going to be implemented). I would have suffered through staring at a male character as my avatar if I knew this was the case. Curse them and curse me for not researching that it had been switched from a launch to a post-launch feature ahead of time!

4. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 18:22 jacobvandy

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo