Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo

Steam now offers Q.U.B.E., along with a playable demo of this first-person puzzle game from Toxic Games. Q.U.B.E. is on sale during the next week for 15% off, and here's a description of what to expect:

Set in a mysterious and abstract sterile environment, Q.U.B.E. (Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion) is a first-person puzzle game that challenges players to navigate each level by manipulating coloured cubes that surround them. There's little to go on as the game begins - the player is dropped into an all-white room with few instructions, and simply has to figure their way out. The tone of game changes as the player finds small and big alterations to their environment, supported by an original score, inviting each player to let their imagination take over as to where they might be. Through experimentation and discovery, players will progress through an ever-evolving series of cube puzzles that will challenge them with logic, physics, platforming.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 8, 2012, 06:56 LordCrew

To modify your controls edit Steam\steamapps\common\qube demo\UDKGame\Config\UDKInput.ini

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="GBA_MoveForward")
Bindings=(Name="S",Command="GBA_Backward")
Bindings=(Name="A",Command="GBA_StrafeLeft")
Bindings=(Name="D",Command="GBA_StrafeRight")

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 8, 2012, 00:09 Jerykk

Really short demo. Has about 5 minutes of actual gameplay. The puzzles were really simplistic, which hopefully isn't indicative of the whole game. I think I'll wait for some reviews before picking up the full game.  

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 23:36 necrosis

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 02:29:
jimnms wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 00:10:
Looks interesting, but the lack of control customization means it's going on my wait list. I can't stand WASD, I've tried it, it's clumsy and I don't like it.

QFMFT

I don't understand WSAD. It is cramped. We aren't 6, we need more room.
Not all of us have sausage fingers.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 17:33 netnerd85

Jim wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 14:17:
Looks interesting, but the lack of control customization means it's going on my wait list. I can't stand WASD, I've tried it, it's clumsy and I don't like it.

I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. WASD-only controls is definitely a strike against me enjoying a game.
Being an Unreal Engine game you should be able to edit the controls yourself using the config files.

Can anyone confirm?

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 16:56 Mr. Tact

Different strokes for different folks. My preference is QWES.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 16:04 Razumen

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 13:39:

QFMFT

I use ESDF normally, but it's a nonfactor here. WASD and Spacebar for jump are the only keyboard controls.

I always try and use ZXC & ALT, it just seems more ergonomic to me, and I can use four fingers comfortably, rather than moving one finger back and forth between two buttons.

This setup always bewilders my friends to no end though.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 14:30 Quboid

The controls can't be reassigned, therefore it's clearly dumbed-down for consoles, even if there isn't a console version. It's a conspiracy.  

- Quboid

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 14:17 Jim

I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. WASD-only controls is definitely a strike against me enjoying a game.

Jim

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 14:12 Jim

This looks interesting. Too bad there isn't a Mac version, but PC only means it is not dumbed-down for consoles either.  
Jim

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 13:39 Zyrxil

QFMFT

I use ESDF normally, but it's a nonfactor here. WASD and Spacebar for jump are the only keyboard controls.

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 13:04 nin

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 12:37:
5 hours is based on someone else's gameplay time, not your own, 5 hours is not short for $12.74, you people are being extremely cheap. That's $2.50 per hour. Support the indie industry!

Other than the "extremely cheap" comment, I agree with the rest. $13 for 5 hours of entertainment sounds fine to me. I'll be grabbing it this weekend.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 12:37 netnerd85

5 hours is based on someone else's gameplay time, not your own, 5 hours is not short for $12.74, you people are being extremely cheap. That's $2.50 per hour. Support the indie industry!  

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 04:07 Esoteric

I tried the demo and liked it. But also heard it was kind of short (5 hours). I'd definitely pick it up on a sale price of $5.  

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 02:29 xXBatmanXx

QFMFT

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 00:10 jimnms

Steam Profile

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 6, 2012, 23:37 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:03:
Looks neat, my only concern is the length. I'm hearing 5 hours.
Which, compared to $60 for the latest MW game, is quite the deal...
edit:
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NUKGrm9e-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3LePIPjK1Q

Had I not blasted my Holiday stash on the sale, I might pick this up...kind of hard to justify...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 6, 2012, 23:35 ASeven

Consider this a puzzle game with first person perspective. No portals in this game, it's a clever puzzle game without any story but lacking in levels. Hopefully the modtools will be used by the community to make extra levels.  

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 6, 2012, 22:03 nin

Looks neat, my only concern is the length. I'm hearing 5 hours.

Which, compared to $60 for the latest MW game, is quite the deal...

edit:

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NUKGrm9e-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3LePIPjK1Q

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2012, 22:14.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 6, 2012, 21:53 xXBatmanXx

Portal 2.5. Even looks like it.  

1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 6, 2012, 21:16 Cutter

Shades of Portal.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo