Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: im so much better than you, its unbelievable Jan 7, 2012, 22:18 Dades

space captain wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 15:48:
aww shit, mad hax0rz up in this bitch

like totally dude, crash override.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 17:25 Prez

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 12:44:
Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 10:38:
Respect to you as well, but there is no way to do it wrong. A horrid UI and using a controller which makes the simplest of tasks a chore can make even a simple scheme unpleasant to use.

Nothing beats a true media center; this generation's consoles are way behind by my experience.

Except you weren't originally discussing the experience of "which is better". You described it as a near impossible chore, which it isn't.

Certainly, you may not prefer the UI and control mechanism (of which a controller is only one of several on the 360), but preference does not equate to difficulty.

The fact is that it's no harder than three button pushes and two movements on a 360 controller (ignoring the other two mainstream control options) to get a movie streaming over it. Hell, it's easier than finding and selecting a show on a cable box.

No, my point was and still is that I had a terrible experience trying to stream video on a console. I never said it didn't work. The silly metaphor I used was to illustrate how damn cumbersome the experience was. Surely you're not trying to tell me what kind of an experience I had? I was there; I think I would know better than you that using a console as a multimedia device was a rotten, unpleasant experience. I haven't even mentioned how bad the video was on my HDTV. The cheap little Roku box I connected to the same TV streamed video that looked far, far better.

I'm not really sure why we're even discussing this. When I stream movies and surf the net, I want more than an experience that just works. It ought not be frustrating and unpleasant. I can't put it any clearer really.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2012, 17:31.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 17:01 .Drifter

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 07:49:
Well to start with, having to hard wire a console limits where you can put it. So the ethernet port argument kind of dies right there.

Actually, it doesn't.
At most, it situational.
Personally, in the last 3 houses I've lived in over the last 13 years, there has been a TV connection in the same room as the internet connection. In each house, this was designated by the real-estate agent as the "computer/home office room."
Seeing as how I buy a game system to game on primarily, and the tv/computer/game system have always been in the same room within feet of each other, this has worked out great for me, and having a hard line has not been a problem. Seems to work better too for online play, compared to my wifi experiences over the years.
Using wifi, however, hasn't been as easy due in large part to the fact that this "computer/home office room" has almost always been either above the garage or off in some back corner of the house, which proves detrimental to the wifi signal, with it only reaching the living room with a merely adequate strength and any rooms at the opposite end with weak enough strength that the connection regularly drops.
The only solution then was to either find a central location in the house and:
1. Run the internet there, slap on a wireless router or modem, and have everything wireless
2. Set up a repeater
Currently, I'm using option 2 and it works just fine.

As for handhelds taking over, I doubt it based on 3ds and vita sales.
Unless you mean smartphones.
If so, I don't know about that. I have an android myself, and given the choice, hands down I go with computer or console, in that order.
Touch screen is nice and all, but I like to actually be able to see the games I'm playing without having to cover up part of the screen with my hands to play them.

23. im so much better than you, its unbelievable Jan 7, 2012, 15:48 space captain

aww shit, mad hax0rz up in this bitch  
Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 12:53 Dades

It's still easier on an actual media center but no one really expects most console owners to have the slightest inclination what that is. You're dealing with people who think of using the web as typing links into the google search box. If an xbox makes streaming movies easy for them then so be it, they can't miss what they haven't used.  

21. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 12:44 Burrito of Peace

Respect to you as well, but there is no way to do it wrong. A horrid UI and using a controller which makes the simplest of tasks a chore can make even a simple scheme unpleasant to use.

Nothing beats a true media center; this generation's consoles are way behind by my experience.

Except you weren't originally discussing the experience of "which is better". You described it as a near impossible chore, which it isn't.

Certainly, you may not prefer the UI and control mechanism (of which a controller is only one of several on the 360), but preference does not equate to difficulty.

The fact is that it's no harder than three button pushes and two movements on a 360 controller (ignoring the other two mainstream control options) to get a movie streaming over it. Hell, it's easier than finding and selecting a show on a cable box.

20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 11:09 Beamer

But way ahead for most users that have never experienced anything else and for whom these work great. If you're a true media junkie it doesn't work well. If you're someone that watches the occasional movie and doesn't have a great TV then it's fine.

As for the 2012 rumors, I'd be shocked. I expect big hints and even appearances at E3 but still plenty of questions until next E3. I could be wrong, I know they've gone from wanting 2014-2015 a few years ago to realizing that's dumb, but I don't expect 2012 (who knows, though, given that the WiiU comes then and that many still say the Xbox only beat the PS3 due to release date.) I know several people that bought Xboxes this Black Friday, though, who will be angry. And I bought a PS3, though I'll get my money's worth in that year.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 10:38 Prez

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 08:27 Burrito of Peace

Prez wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:53:
I tried streaming movies over my kids' console. It was atrocious. Trying to navigate the menus was sort of liketrying to thread a needle in the dark with frozen fingers.

Then, respectfully, you're doing it wrong. I use my mother as a baseline for how intuitive and/or easy technology is to use as she's the least technologically inclined person I know.

On the Xbox 360, from the sign in screen, she can navigate and start a movie streaming from the media server I setup in less than 10 seconds.

I can't speak for the PS3 as I don't, and won't, have one nor can I for the Wii as I don't have one either.

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 07:49 Ozmodan

Well to start with, having to hard wire a console limits where you can put it. So the ethernet port argument kind of dies right there.

The xbox and ps3 are both very dated hardware wise atm. I see big difference is graphics between the PC and them, while disk storage is a huge issue. Memory limitations put big restrictions on game developers too. All in all, whether they like it or not, it is time for a change. Microsoft needs to go blue-ray or something else as dvd storage is far too limiting.

I would not be surprised with a new xbox this year, but I highly doubt Sony can make that timeline.

Personally I see this as the last iteration of consoles. There will be much better handheld devices around to replace them in the future. Not even sure this next version of consoles will be that successful either.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 05:35 .Drifter

PHJF wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 02:22:
Yeah and every house is obviously built with ethernet jacks in the walls...

Never said they were.
Mine sure wasn't.
Instead, it has a coaxial cable bolt I hook my cable modem up to, which has the ethernet port on it.

Anyhow, what does that have to do with anything?
You'd said the PS3 was wifi g only, so I figured it might be possible that you had a newer console they had taken the ethernet port out of. Sony seems fond of removing things, either through newer versions or software updates, so removing it wouldn't surprise me.
In ether case, both my PS3 and Xbox 360 stream HD video just fine over my ethernet cable, so saying the PS3 isn't much of a media console isn't necessarily true in all situations.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 04:37 Prez

PHJF wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 23:47:
Considering PS3 only has wifi-g, streaming 720p over it is next to impossible. Not much of a media console.

And it was a huge PITA getting lossless formats to work on it (I settled on PS3 Media Server, a java-based platform with on-the-fly transcribing). They'll have to do a hell of a lot better if they want consoles to eclipse media centre PCs.

Absolutely. The consoles are simply not viable alternatives for web surfing or media streaming. I imagine the next generation will address this. Or at least they had better if they know what's good for them.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 02:22 PHJF

Yeah and every house is obviously built with ethernet jacks in the walls...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 01:48 Razumen

.net_Drifter wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 01:00:
Considering PS3 only has wifi-g, streaming 720p over it is next to impossible. Not much of a media console.

My PS3 has an ethernet port. Which model did you get?

The Herp Derp Model apparently.
All PS3 models have an Ethernet port.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 01:00 .Drifter

My PS3 has an ethernet port. Which model did you get?

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 00:43 crypto

wifi+game=lose
RJ45+game|stream=win

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 00:32 crypto

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 21:19:
Hopefully these will be the last consoles. Let's face it no one really wants or needs these one-trick ponies anymore. Not unless they add keyboard and mouse support - which is pretty much a requirement now with social media, texting, etc. - and in which case why not just use a PC where you can do all those things and more?
If they can keep out the cheaters I'll buy it... crack and jack my game?? screw you and the pc you rode in on!

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 6, 2012, 23:47 PHJF

And it was a huge PITA getting lossless formats to work on it (I settled on PS3 Media Server, a java-based platform with on-the-fly transcribing). They'll have to do a hell of a lot better if they want consoles to eclipse media centre PCs.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 6, 2012, 23:05 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:53:
eunichron wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:31:
Hopefully these will be the last consoles. Let's face it no one really wants or needs these one-trick ponies anymore. Not unless they add keyboard and mouse support - which is pretty much a requirement now with social media, texting, etc. - and in which case why not just use a PC where you can do all those things and more?

This doesn't make any sense, how are they "one-trick ponies"? Consoles do a hell of a lot more than just play games anymore, and as my friends get older and play games less and less, they have begun to use their consoles for more media streaming than gaming (Netflix, Hulu, home network streaming). I think this next generation will be moving away from social networking and more toward content streaming of games, movies, and music, and home media networking, which their current UIs handle just fine without a mouse/kb.

I tried streaming movies over my kids' console. It was atrocious. Trying to navigate the menus was sort of liketrying to thread a needle in the dark with frozen fingers.

And people look at me weird when I say I have a USB keyboard attached to my PS3... it's for precisely those reasons.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 6, 2012, 22:53 Prez

eunichron wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:31:

This doesn't make any sense, how are they "one-trick ponies"? Consoles do a hell of a lot more than just play games anymore, and as my friends get older and play games less and less, they have begun to use their consoles for more media streaming than gaming (Netflix, Hulu, home network streaming). I think this next generation will be moving away from social networking and more toward content streaming of games, movies, and music, and home media networking, which their current UIs handle just fine without a mouse/kb.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo