Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: etc., etc. Mar 21, 2012, 13:49 Jdrez

Christ I'm still playing Skyrim. Never thought I'd wish a release cycle would slow down.

Doubt I'd like dark souls any way. Sounds like one of those twitch-reliant console games with that God of War style game play.

I'm too old and slow for that nonsense.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: etc., etc. Jan 8, 2012, 06:53 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 02:32:
Except Dark Souls' combat is itself satisfying and rewarding whereas the only satisfaction in Gothic is from not dying. Gothic has always been entirely too clunky, a problem never remedied by its sequels.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I found Gothic's combat to be very satisfying. Successfully timing your dodges, blocks and attacks was engaging and required a lot of practice and observation. Mastering these skills and defeating enemies that could kill you in 1-3 hits was truly gratifying.

15. Re: etc., etc. Jan 8, 2012, 02:32 PHJF

Except Dark Souls' combat is itself satisfying and rewarding whereas the only satisfaction in Gothic is from not dying. Gothic has always been entirely too clunky, a problem never remedied by its sequels.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2012, 23:26 Jerykk

Uh Gothic is nothing like Dark Souls.

"Nothing like?" I wouldn't go that far. Gothic is definitely a more traditional RPG while Dark Souls is pretty much a straightforward dungeon crawler. However, they're both known for having very punishing combat and, consequently, a greater sense of satisfaction when you succeed. Hence the valid comparison.

13. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2012, 16:14 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 23:30:
I've never played anything that was as simultaneously frustrating and rewarding as Dark Souls.

Have you ever played Gothic? You spend a good portion of the game getting destroyed by molerats, wolves, giant wasps and tiny goblins. Hell, at the start of the game, most enemies can kill you in one swift combo.

Uh Gothic is nothing like Dark Souls.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2012, 14:02 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 02:08:
Both publish for the PC, but their habit of publishing for the PC exhibits no rhyme or reason.

It's pretty random. Namco published Witcher 2 in Europe and they published a Warhammer RTS a few years ago. Konami has released half-assed ports of some of the MGS and Silent Hill games, though they aren't even bothering with ports with anymore. Both Namco and Konami have gone in the opposite direction of Capcom, which has embraced the PC market in recent years. It's a shame because there are some Namco and Konami games I'd like to play, such as Dark Souls.

Konami also released Saw for PC, as well as a couple of their downloadable games... also, years back, Namco published Hellgate London as well as Mage Knight Apocalypse for PC.

11. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2012, 11:19 ForgedReality

Okay that video was a fucking lie. Where the hell was Shadowmere the whole time?  

10. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2012, 02:08 Jerykk

Both publish for the PC, but their habit of publishing for the PC exhibits no rhyme or reason.

It's pretty random. Namco published Witcher 2 in Europe and they published a Warhammer RTS a few years ago. Konami has released half-assed ports of some of the MGS and Silent Hill games, though they aren't even bothering with ports with anymore. Both Namco and Konami have gone in the opposite direction of Capcom, which has embraced the PC market in recent years. It's a shame because there are some Namco and Konami games I'd like to play, such as Dark Souls.

9. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2012, 00:41 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:56:
Namco? Porting a console game to PC? Good luck with that. Namco and Konami are probably the only remaining publishers to show almost no support for the PC.

8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 23:30 Jerykk

I've never played anything that was as simultaneously frustrating and rewarding as Dark Souls.

Have you ever played Gothic? You spend a good portion of the game getting destroyed by molerats, wolves, giant wasps and tiny goblins. Hell, at the start of the game, most enemies can kill you in one swift combo.

7. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 22:56 Jerykk

Namco? Porting a console game to PC? Good luck with that. Namco and Konami are probably the only remaining publishers to show almost no support for the PC.  

6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 21:53 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 21:35:
It wasn't even done properly on the PS3 in the first place. There were SERIOUS frame rate problems.

Blighttown has framerate issues on the 360, too.

I still love the game, I'd actually double dip on it if they brought it to PC... don't see them doing it, though.

5. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 21:35 PHJF

It wasn't even done properly on the PS3 in the first place. There were SERIOUS frame rate problems.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 21:26 Cutter

It's a seriously brutal game. I've never played anything that was as simultaneously frustrating and rewarding as Dark Souls. Nothing like rounding a corner and coming across some badass mob and you're running away screaming like a little girl!

And yes, good port of good game = guarenteed sales.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 21:15 Kitkoan

Lorcin wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 20:28:
No point in that petition - most of the pc gamers would just slag off the port and the graphics.

Seriously doubt that unless its a crap port.

Remember, Breath of Death VII and Cthulth Saves the World was sold for more money on PC then it was on XBox 360, and yet in 6 days it made more on PC then on a year on XBox. No one complained about the graphics on it either. It was a solid port

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 20:41 Dades

Lorcin wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 20:28:
No point in that petition - most of the pc gamers would just slag off the port and the graphics.

If it sucked then why not? It's a game you pay for, they're not doing charity work.

1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 20:28 Lorcin

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo