Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team 6 versus Eurogamer

A post to the Steam Users' Forums by Team 6's Ronnie Nelis calls out Eurogamer for its scathing review of Flatout 3: Chaos & Destruction, which gave the racing sequel a miniscule 1/10 ranking. Nelis calls the reviewer a "liar," saying the review was copied (thanks Joao). A subsequent post expands:

If you don't believe the text, check the screens: They don't show any deformation for example, someting that is present for quite some weeks now. There's only one reason how this is all possible: He is playing a non-official, old version of the game. It's not what people see when they purchase the game, thus not representive.

Also worth noticing: our publisher has only sent out review copies to the press as from today.. (so how could he have 'received' it earlier?)

I don't mind people complaining, giving feedback, or just disliking the game in general. I have plenty of positive and happy fanmail to cheer me up again after reading this article, but what bothers me is that he is not telling the truth. Shouldn't a reporter be fair and tell the truth?

If you are interested in fair reviews, i currenly recommend the one on gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/flatout-3-ch...%3Bread-review

To make this comparision fair: This one is not positive neither, but the text is open-minded, fair and therefore better. The gamespot reporter also used an old version and not the official publisher-review copy which has been sent out only today BUT he did actually played and obviously enjoyed the game. Worth noticing: The two things he marks as "bad" are completely fixed nowadays. (too bad we can't get a re-review hehe)

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 7, 2012, 11:36 theyarecomingforyou

JaguarUSF wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 07:48:
Correct. But when you can't afford to buy your own copies of games (there's no way in hell I would buy FlatOut 3 just for a review), you are at the mercy of the publisher.
Yeah, I understand that for smaller sites like yours. The very idea that publishers are sending out a different copy to the one released is disgusting. It's different for sites like Eurogamer, that can easily cover the cost of buying the game at retail from advertising revenue. For them the longer they take to review the game the less interest there is in it, so they don't have to pander to publishers.

I'm perfectly happy for review sites to take longer to review a game than have them manipulated and restricted by publishers. If I'm really interested in a game I'll usually pre-order it - if I have any concerns I'll hold off for the reviews and I'm really not interested in the typical fluff pieces that sites like Gamespy and IGN are famous for.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 7, 2012, 08:41 ASeven

The sign of a shitty dev, they delete the threads where these statements on the article happened.

Good devs make good games, bad devs try to con people to buy their games.

48. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 7, 2012, 07:48 JaguarUSF

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 23:13:
Reviewers shouldn't be sent copies of the game a month after it is released.

Correct. But when you can't afford to buy your own copies of games (there's no way in hell I would buy FlatOut 3 just for a review), you are at the mercy of the publisher.

A similar thing happened with Sword of the Stars 2: a buggy mess that was released at launch, the review codes send out a couple of patches later. It still stunk, as does this.

47. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 7, 2012, 06:03 Fantaz

hehe hehe hehe...

i currenly recommmended u to read the re-reviewed 1

plz buy my game noe!

46. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 7, 2012, 03:10 EricFate

I don't care about the reviews by critics. What I find telling are the reviews and complants from people who actually bought the 'recent' version of the game.

I hope the folks on the Steam Forums are successful in getting their money refunded, as that seems to be the common theme.

45. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 7, 2012, 02:09 nin

JaguarUSF wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 20:21:
I'm also reviewing this game, and it is pretty bad. Just watch this video I made of the woeful AI. That's all you need to know.

Wow...so unintentionally comedic. I feel bad for the devs, even though I shouldn't.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 23:41 ASeven

I'm also reviewing this game, and it is pretty bad. Just watch this video I made of the woeful AI. That's all you need to know.

Blurtastic!

43. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 23:35 Jerykk

Not sure why Empire Interactive sold the IP to Strategy First. Did Flatout: Ultimate Carnage really sell that badly? Or was Empire just desperate for money?  

42. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 23:13 theyarecomingforyou

LMFAO!!

Seriously, that is beyond bad. And it's pathetic for the developer to moan about using a "non-official" version (you released it like that, fucktards) and then promote a review that does the exact same thing, only with a slightly higher score. It is not acceptable to release a game that costs money in order to milk sales over Christmas and then release a DIFFERENT version to reviewers later when you've patched up a few of the issues. Reviewers shouldn't be sent copies of the game a month after it is released.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

41. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 22:46 Prez

killer_roach wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 22:31:

Probably the AI destroying the entire field within the first three seconds... just might be a clue.

Well, duh. That's what I'm talking about. Looks all kinds of cool to me.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

40. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 22:31 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 21:55:
Bhruic wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 21:00:
I'm confused. We aren't supposed to listen to the one review because the reviewer supposedly didn't review a "final" copy. Therefore he is lying, and shouldn't be trusted. Instead, we should trust a different reviewer who... also didn't review a "final" copy? Simply because the second one happened to enjoy the game?

Someone obviously doesn't understand how the "review" process works (or is supposed to work when you don't pay off your reviewers).

Well to be fair he pointed to the Gamespot review, which isn't exactly glowing either.

And what was so bad about the video? Aside from the atrocious sound, it looked kinda cool. In a goofy, Flatout sort of way.

Probably the AI destroying the entire field within the first three seconds... just might be a clue.

39. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 21:55 Prez

Bhruic wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 21:00:
I'm confused. We aren't supposed to listen to the one review because the reviewer supposedly didn't review a "final" copy. Therefore he is lying, and shouldn't be trusted. Instead, we should trust a different reviewer who... also didn't review a "final" copy? Simply because the second one happened to enjoy the game?

Someone obviously doesn't understand how the "review" process works (or is supposed to work when you don't pay off your reviewers).

Well to be fair he pointed to the Gamespot review, which isn't exactly glowing either.

And what was so bad about the video? Aside from the atrocious sound, it looked kinda cool. In a goofy, Flatout sort of way.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2012, 22:00.

38. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 21:00 Bhruic

37. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 20:57 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 20:50:
I have Flatout Ultimate Carnage, and it's perhaps the most boring racing game I've ever played. The graphics are mediocre, there's no challenge, there's a good sense of speed, but no driving model to speak of. I've not played Flatout 3, but this developer doesn't have a good track record, IMO.

Why spend time playing that when I can have a blast playing Dirt 2 or Need for Speed Shift or even Burnout Paradise?

Different developer, different publisher. Team 6 is the developer now instead of Bugbear, and Strategy First is the publisher instead of Empire.

36. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 20:50 jdreyer

I have Flatout Ultimate Carnage, and it's perhaps the most boring racing game I've ever played. The graphics are mediocre, there's no challenge, there's a good sense of speed, but no driving model to speak of. I've not played Flatout 3, but this developer doesn't have a good track record, IMO.

Why spend time playing that when I can have a blast playing Dirt 2 or Need for Speed Shift or even Burnout Paradise?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

35. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 20:27 Sepharo

I dunno that looked pretty awesome Race

34. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 20:21 JaguarUSF

33. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 20:05 Elf Shot The Food

Both threads have been deleted.  

32. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 19:39 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 16:54:
nin wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 10:59:
Love a good smackdown! Who's got the popcorn?

I have a ton left over in about 6 different santa tins.....I am ready.

Oooh oooh ooh... are any of them that hatefully addictive caramel-covered popcorn? Send that stuff my way, biotch!

31. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 19:15 eRe4s3r

Also this would be the 1 game where a 1/10 is perfectly justified. Because it being Flatout 3 - it competes with Flatout 2  

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo