Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The weather remained warm around here through the end of the year, but things got pretty cold as soon as the new year arrived. It's milder the last couple of days, but it was startlingly cold earlier this week, but I still knew something was wrong when I went downstairs a couple of mornings ago, and could practically see my breath. It turns out the back door had blown open during the night, as it hadn't been shut properly: It seems there is too much weather-stripping around it, which can make getting the latch to catch difficult. Counter-intuitively, this seems worse in the cold (isn't that supposed to make things shrink?), so I have a weekend project to try and address this, as I don't like to think about the cost of all the heat that wasted.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Super Mario Challenge.
Skullhunter: players pack. Thanks Daniel.
FIVE.
Links: 10 Old Toys That Made Sense In Their Era (And Nowhere Else).
Stories: Tolkien Rejected For Nobel Prize Because Of 'Poor Storytelling'.
X-37B spaceplane 'spying on China'.
Science: Thick Martian dust makes NASA pick sunnier locale for Mars rover.
Can dogs tell when we're talking to them?
Media: Fishing under ice. Thanks dakslf.
Super Seinfeld Bros. Thanks reddit.
Failed Proposal at a UCLA Game. Thanks Digg.

View
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 12:56 Will W

I'm just north of Blue, and that same night it was 9 degrees here. I can usually keep my house in mid to low 60's with just the woodstove in the basement, but it was so cold that night that my furnace was kicking on just to keep the house at 58. Hope we don't see too many more of those this winter.

I'd love another tax deduction for energy efficiency improvements. Help the environment, economy, and reduce the dependence on foreign oil. Seems like a win-win-win to me. But I suppose closing your door helps too.... :-P

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 6, 10:54 Re: Out of the Blue nin
  2. Jan 6, 11:50 Re: Out of the Blue Mr. Tact
>> 3. Jan 6, 12:56  Re: Out of the Blue Will W
  4. Jan 6, 13:17 Re: Out of the Blue Jim
  5. Jan 6, 14:16 Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  6. Jan 6, 19:45  Re: Out of the Blue Sepharo
  7. Jan 6, 23:50 Re: Out of the Blue xXBatmanXx
  8. Jan 6, 23:58  Re: Out of the Blue Sepharo

footer

.. .. ..