Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The weather remained warm around here through the end of the year, but things got pretty cold as soon as the new year arrived. It's milder the last couple of days, but it was startlingly cold earlier this week, but I still knew something was wrong when I went downstairs a couple of mornings ago, and could practically see my breath. It turns out the back door had blown open during the night, as it hadn't been shut properly: It seems there is too much weather-stripping around it, which can make getting the latch to catch difficult. Counter-intuitively, this seems worse in the cold (isn't that supposed to make things shrink?), so I have a weekend project to try and address this, as I don't like to think about the cost of all the heat that wasted.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Super Mario Challenge.
Skullhunter: players pack. Thanks Daniel.
FIVE.
Links: 10 Old Toys That Made Sense In Their Era (And Nowhere Else).
Stories: Tolkien Rejected For Nobel Prize Because Of 'Poor Storytelling'.
X-37B spaceplane 'spying on China'.
Science: Thick Martian dust makes NASA pick sunnier locale for Mars rover.
Can dogs tell when we're talking to them?
Media: Fishing under ice. Thanks dakslf.
Super Seinfeld Bros. Thanks reddit.
Failed Proposal at a UCLA Game. Thanks Digg.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 23:58 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 23:50:
50 here in MPLS. Was nasty at the park. As I like to call it, "poop soup". Spent 2 hours washing and drying the dogs, then another hour cleaning the bathroom and still washing loads and loads of towels....

Parent's have two boxers and "poop soup" is an accurate description of their yard after the snow finally melts away in spring.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 23:50 xXBatmanXx

50 here in MPLS. Was nasty at the park. As I like to call it, "poop soup". Spent 2 hours washing and drying the dogs, then another hour cleaning the bathroom and still washing loads and loads of towels....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 19:45 Sepharo

It hit 52 today here in the Detroit area. Didn't wear a jacket to work today so that my lateness would be less evident than usual.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 14:16 Cutter

Much like The Smiths are temperatures here have been oscillating wildly between cold as hell and above seasonal. Some snow, still mostly rain. I'll be surprised if we don't get it harder than a cheerleader on prom night very soon.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 13:17 Jim

No snow on the ground here, which is fine by me. I think it went down to 12 degrees or so here on the night Blue is talking about. No snow means we can still get to the observatory, but the funny thing is now the older guys are talking about "how cold is too cold" for us to be open. Turns out they can't take temp+wind chill less than 20F. It is going to be in the 40s-low 50s here over the weekend, so it looks we're good for at least one more week.  
Jim

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 12:56 Will W

I'm just north of Blue, and that same night it was 9 degrees here. I can usually keep my house in mid to low 60's with just the woodstove in the basement, but it was so cold that night that my furnace was kicking on just to keep the house at 58. Hope we don't see too many more of those this winter.

I'd love another tax deduction for energy efficiency improvements. Help the environment, economy, and reduce the dependence on foreign oil. Seems like a win-win-win to me. But I suppose closing your door helps too.... :-P

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 11:50 Mr. Tact

Yeah, 50s here nin -- quite a change from a year ago. I suspect the last two weeks of January will do their job and remind me/us it is in fact winter.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 10:54 nin

Its been in the 60s here, which is January is fucking odd. We're SO going to get popped with a snowstorm when we least expect it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo