Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Catalyst Preview Driver

A new AMD Catalyst 12.1a preview driver is now available for ATI/AMD GPUs running Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, and Windows Vista 64-bit editions. Word is this contains everything from the previous preview build as well as support for an upcoming RAGE patch. This is not one of those WHQL-certified releases for those of you looking to live forever within the safety of your cocoon. No, these are as-is experimental drivers for you daring test pilots. So download at your own risk if you have the right stuff, and I'll meet you later for drinks at Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club. If you survive... otherwise we'll put your picture on the wall.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 23:36 Crustacean Soup

Looks like Skype is lagging in fullscreen mode now (perfectly fine in a window). I'm not positive it's the new driver, I'll have to play with it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 21:56 Crustacean Soup

From the previous notes

AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver includes user interface enhancements to simplify adjustment of video color and video quality control.

I hope that includes killing the "enhancements" more easily. From my testing the noise reduction and other effects look terrible, and if I recall the only way I was able to get rid of it was by installing ffdshow-tryouts (via CCCP); the Catalyst Control Panel options didn't work.

12. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 21:03 Bumpy

Finally the texture pack for RAGE might see the light of day.  

11. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 19:42 theyarecomingforyou

DedEye wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 19:26:
I'm using the 12.1s and the ability to make your own crossfire app profiles is a godsend!
Yeah, it's great. But it should have been added years ago when Crossfire first came out. And it's only so important now because they've completely dropped the ball with recent releases. I've never had so many problems with games - RAGE and Skyrim were horrific at launch, despite being high profile titles. Even now the profiles feature is a half-baked attempt to copy nVidia, yet nowhere near as refined or intuitive. And last time I checked it's still not possible to have cloned displays with Crossfire for gaming (works 2D but goes blank for 3D).

I really hope this is the start of a major focus on drivers but I really doubt it, especially given the huge staff cutbacks they've made.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 19:26 DedEye

I'm using the 12.1s and the ability to make your own crossfire app profiles is a godsend!  

9. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 19:23 Krovven

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 18:36:
though it was such an abortion of a game that I can't imagine anybody that bought it at release is still playing it - the co-op had so many issues with lag and missing textures I gave up.

I was going to reply to the same thing being said earlier, but many of us couldnt play the game when it first came out. And for many when the first patch and with each subsequent driver release it's been hit or miss whether people could play Rage or not at all.

I couldnt play for the first 2 weeks, while a friend with a newer AMD card could play. Then with the first patch or one of the driver releases he couldnt even launch the game anymore. Next release he could play again, then the release after he couldnt load the game again.

After I was able to play, we tried coop, but the game wouldnt let us connect to one another, yet we could connect in the car combat mode. We tried this a couple times with no success. Keeping in mind that we were able to connect right at launch, but I couldnt play because the graphics were so bugged out with messed up textures everywhere.

8. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 18:36 theyarecomingforyou

Fantaz wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:47:
I don't trust beta drivers... they screwed up my computer once beyond recovery, and it took forever to reinstall everything and could never really restore it back to the way I had it set up before.
I install most of the beta drivers that are released and haven't had any issues like that. The reality is that the beta drivers that AMD are releasing are usually the final drivers minus WHQL certification. Here it's just been updated to support the upcoming patch for RAGE, though it was such an abortion of a game that I can't imagine anybody that bought it at release is still playing it - the co-op had so many issues with lag and missing textures I gave up.

Oh, and Carmack is a cunt for teasing people with the high resolution texture pack and then turning around and saying "actually, the source textures were crap, was just joking you, lolz, thnx for the money".

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 16:42 Creston

Blue wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:25:
eunichron wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:09:
Queue "Danger Zone".

Lannnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

"Banque."
"Bonk? What is Bonk?!"

Creston

6. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 16:41 Creston

Upcoming RAGE patch? Is that the one where John Carmack kicks every PC gamer in the balls, then laughs because he stole their money?

Creston

5. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:47 Fantaz

I don't trust beta drivers... they screwed up my computer once beyond recovery, and it took forever to reinstall everything and could never really restore it back to the way I had it set up before.  

4. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:45 bhcompy

Evil Timmy wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:27:
It should be noted these are solely to provide bugfixes and improved performance for an upcoming Rage update, so unless you're for some reason still playing it, you can leave these alone. On the other hand, if you are still using 11.x Cats, the initial 12.1 Preview release had a number of performance tweaks, and they're as rock-solid as one could hope for.

Indeed, corrected BF3 BSOD issues I had since loading 11.x

3. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:27 Evil Timmy

It should be noted these are solely to provide bugfixes and improved performance for an upcoming Rage update, so unless you're for some reason still playing it, you can leave these alone. On the other hand, if you are still using 11.x Cats, the initial 12.1 Preview release had a number of performance tweaks, and they're as rock-solid as one could hope for.  

2. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:25  Blue 

eunichron wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:09:
Queue "Danger Zone".

Lannnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:09 eunichron

Queue "Danger Zone".  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.