Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed

GameInformer unveils XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the cover story of the next issue of their print magazine, revealing Firaxis is at work on a true continuation of the beloved strategy series, as opposed to the X-COM-based first-person shooter that's also now in the works (thanks briktal). They say the game is due for Windows PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, this fall, and while they are withholding "gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more," from the magazine, they do offer a bit on the game:

Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"Its been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. Were huge fans of the original game and its a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 14:04 Dmitri_M

Whoa. Where do I preorder. Firaxis? Turn-based? X-com!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 13:57 LgFriess

The fact that I can still play this game today and really enjoy it shows how great it was. For me anyway. I can't wait for this one to hit! Hopefully I'll be finished with Skyrim and the upcoming DLCs before the release. Too little time for all this gaming goodness.  

23. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 13:45 Krovven

And on that note... XCOM series for $5 on Steam today.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

22. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 13:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Excellent, hopefully this turns out great, and is released in my lifetime!

Also, this is the first I ever heard of Xenonauts, going to play the January build right now.

Download Here from xenonauts.com

*EDIT* Wow... this game is in rough, rough shape. For some mind boggling reason the free download version is at least a year old... apparently pre-orders get a more playable version.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 14:05.

21. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 13:33 Mikus_Aurelius

Xcom remade by a AAA studio full of programmers who probably played the original to death in the 90s? Take my money, please.  

20. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 13:22 Leper

Wow. The first time I saw XCOM in action was in a video play-through just yesterday. That's pretty embarrassing, but it did piss me off that that they were making an FPS and not a true sequel. And now, within 24 hours, my anger has turned to hope.  

19. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 13:03 Pyloff

Finally. Hopefully it goes well and maybe they come up with some new turn based IP's for PC.  

18. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:52 Numinar

Happy happy joy joy!

This could turn out horribly but those quotes will allow me to burn down the house that Sid built if they fuck with me so I imagine that it's legit. Xcom is back bitches! And with less compromises than I could ever have imagined!

17. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:50 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Hmmm I wonder if this is at the heart of why the FPS Xcom is set in the 50's. Maybe they are setting that up as the 'prequel' which ties directly into the new Turn Based game they just announced.

That might be interesting.

16. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:47 Matshock

X-COM was pretty simple/tactical- not tons of menus to race through at a break-neck pace. It should be fine even with a little consolitis.

PS I'd say "ooooo....destructible environments" but X-COM already had destructible environments

The one thing X-COM needs is environmentals- fog, smoke, debris, etc. and integrate them into the gameplay.

And they need to keep the suspense/tension of the original and I'll be happy.

15. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:37 Sempai

There is a God.  

14. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:37 Verno

I hope it's good, Firaxis + turn based is usually a solid combination. I enjoyed my time in Civ 5 even if it was fleeting and had poor AI. The more rigid conditions in the XCOM series could allow them to have better AI this time around.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

13. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:35 Wash Washburne

PropheT wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:13:
Minuit wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:06:
Okay, it's a console game. I'm a little less excited now, but there's still hope.

The original was on the Playstation.

"Was" and *Made for* those are 2 different things.
Was made for PC than ported to all the consoles around the world

12. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:24 Jerykk

Except that was a port. This new game will likely be designed for consoles and ported to PC. Strategy games designed for consoles tend to be extremely dumbed down.

11. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:13 PropheT

Minuit wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:06:
Okay, it's a console game. I'm a little less excited now, but there's still hope.

10. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:07 Yifes

"XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat"

Fuck yes.

9. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:06 Minuit

"XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes out for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC this fall"

8. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 11:55 Wash Washburne

I just peed myself a little! I use to have dreams of me hunting little grays in the corn fields and than I would wake up screaming Hidden Movement!

Lets just hope that it will be true to the original X-COM: Enemy Unknown otherwise the pile of wannabe X-COM failures will grow larger.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 12:40.

7. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 11:54 Ray Ban

Christmas came early this year  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

6. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 11:54 Shok

Best gaming news I've heard so far this year.  

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo