Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal?

Duck and Cover follows up on the recent indication that a settlement is at hand for the ongoing legal dispute over the rights to a Fallout MMORPG. They have the description of a sealed motion suggesting that Bethesda is seeking to dismiss their case "with prejudice," which would mean this issue could no longer be dragged through the courts. The motion is sealed, so this is still speculation at this point.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 6, 2012, 10:40 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:32:
Anyone a Bethsoft stock holder?
Unlikely, since its corporate parent is privately owned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 22:06 Dev

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:21:
Im still interested in that Bulgarian Fallout MMO. I mean it cant be any worse than World of Warcraft can it?

Go there, skin 15 geckos, go here kill this dude, go over there, bring this piece of shit back...etc. etc.
Fortunately for you, they made another post apoc MMO if you want to see how they'd do it. Its called Earthrise (and is in fact the only credit that Masthead has), and after trying subscription for a short time, they went F2P (presumably since no subscribers).

My guess is they were planning to just reskin a few things and re-use almost all of their assets from earthrise. Why else would have have agreed to redo fallout for nothing up front? (if you look at interplay's financials, they spent $1 million in 4 years on fallout development, pretty sure that means little to nothing up front for the bulgarian devs, probably a hefty chunk of the profits instead). If interplay settled, its probably because they knew $1 million in 4 years is no way in heck a full scale MMO development budget.

http://play-earthrise.com

The few reviews I can find give it around 40%-50%, so good luck!

9. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 21:40 Sepharo

On WoW launch I played for a few days straight. Beyond some queues and some starting lag it wasn't anything I recall being especially terrible. I think that Rift and SWTOR had especially smooth launches. Since everyone has been cranking out essentially the same game for the past decade they've gotten better at how they handle it I guess.  

8. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 16:12 WyldKat

So basically we're going to get a really shitty Fallout MMO because Interplay can't afford to make a real game. Got it.  

7. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 15:56 Krovven

WoW did not have a solid launch. There were massive lag problems, frequent server crashes and rollbacks, insanely long queue times on servers, etc etc. That's just off the top of my head from trying to play at launch 5+ years ago.

Personally I wouldn't use WoW as the measuring stick for "bad" when compared to the majority of MMO's out there. I also agree that the list given was a fairly accurate (although incomplete) of failed/bad MMO's.

6. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 15:35 wtf_man

creatorswhim wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:06:
Did you play any of these MMOs, or are you just good at reeling off lists of games considered declasse in the current market?

I beta'd a few and played/tried a few when they went Free2Play, or had free trials available... (And they were still garbage)

Almost every one of them had the same thing wrong... way to early too release, needed a lot more development time, although the small budget ones couldn't really help that. And because they flopped out the gate... even a year or two later after they went F2P, they unfortunately still hadn't got to a "launch worthy" product, in most people's opinion (which is why they continued to flop afterwards, or get shut down).

Anyway... the point is... InBlack stated about how something couldn't be any worse than WoW... and although I personally don't like WoW... it had a solid launch and has been a good MMO for most people. So, the games I pointed out are Definitely worse than WoW... whether you rely on the commercial success portion, or the just plain fact that these games were bad in most people's opinion.

So were talking about a company that has a small budget and (fairly accurate to say) a flopped post apocalyptic MMO already out there. I think it's fair to surmise that it will/would be worse than WoW.

/shrug

5. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 14:32 Cutter

Techie714 wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 11:17:
I dont quite understand what this means? Maybe I just need my coffee?

Bethsoft has paid off the Caens and in doing so the Caens waive any and all rights to any further litigation about the IP. Hope the judge doesn't seal it. I'd LOVE to know how much they paid. My guess would be somewhere in the 2-5 mil range. Anyone a Bethsoft stock holder?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 12:06 creatorswhim

wtf_man wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:24:
Im still interested in that Bulgarian Fallout MMO. I mean it cant be any worse than World of Warcraft can it?

It Can't???

Obviously you haven't played some of the flop MMO's that didn't even deserve a launch.
(Horizons, Alganon, Matrix Online, Darkfall, Vanguard, Dark and Light, Tabula Rasa... to name a few off the top of my head)

Did you play any of these MMOs, or are you just good at reeling off lists of games considered declasse in the current market?

3. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 11:17 Techie714

I dont quite understand what this means? Maybe I just need my coffee?  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 10:24 wtf_man

It Can't???

Obviously you haven't played some of the flop MMO's that didn't even deserve a launch.
(Horizons, Alganon, Matrix Online, Darkfall, Vanguard, Dark and Light, Tabula Rasa... to name a few off the top of my head)

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 10:30.

1. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 10:21 InBlack

Go there, skin 15 geckos, go here kill this dude, go over there, bring this piece of shit back...etc. etc.

I have a nifty blue line!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo