Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done"

A Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website is now online, marking this recent milestone for Blizzard's action/RPG. This offers an overview of the game, a Diablo timeline, an extended retrospective, developer interviews, and more. As noted on Blizzplanet, the interview with Jay Wilson offers an optimistic outlook on the state of Diablo III development: "We are almost done with Diablo III, and thatís a fitting celebration of the 15th year anniversary for Diablo. So, we are getting it to you as soon as we can."

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 14, 2012, 17:48 Wildone

IS IT OUT YET?!! OK Q2 THEN MAYBE!

AHAHA HA HAH A H HH HH H HHHHH H AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAA HAHAHAH HH HHH HA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 10, 2012, 09:02  Peeling 

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 00:10:
nin wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 23:04:

If that were the case nin their high settings wouldn't look like ass as well.

That would be your opinion, and not based in fact.

It's fact imo, SC2 looked like a shiny SC1 with obviously better textures. D3 looks to be about the same. I'm sorry but graphically Blizzard titles just aren't impressive and never have been.

Personally I find SC2's graphics to be extremely impressive. Point me towards a game with as many individually animating, skinned, particle-spewing entities on screen at once - if you can

63. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 10, 2012, 08:55  Peeling 

GrenadesNHam wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:34:
The current design involves minimal client side calculations. From my knowledge, Blizzard servers control much of what happens to prevent exploiting and cheats and protection of the economy (which I hope this time is meaningful and intact, (less of the rune/soj market bs.)

Things like monster spawn and movement, loot drops, toon position checking, and more are communicated to you from the serv, not done by your machine.

This is false.

The Blizzard servers duplicate what your machine does. Your machine then sends what it thinks has happened to the server, and if they agree, you're allowed to keep playing. If they disagree it's because you've hacked the game somehow, so they disconnect you. Trading between players is always done using the server's version of events, so even if you hack the game to play offline, you cannot sell anything you collect because the server won't agree that you have it.

Blizzard implemented it this way because it's completely lag-free. Your computer isn't waiting for anything from the server.

62. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 9, 2012, 19:34 GrenadesNHam

It seems many who want the offline single player fail to understand how Blizzard is designing DIII. They do not just have to pop in an offline mode, it would require considerable additional development time.

The current design involves minimal client side calculations. From my knowledge, Blizzard servers control much of what happens to prevent exploiting and cheats and protection of the economy (which I hope this time is meaningful and intact, (less of the rune/soj market bs.)

Things like monster spawn and movement, loot drops, toon position checking, and more are communicated to you from the serv, not done by your machine. You'd need essentially a built in mini - server just for your client. This is what they do not want you to have. That is how cheats, exploits, and emulated servers are more easily made. (which to already exist in primitive forms.)

Whether you agree with it or not, at least recognize that it is a purposeful and pretty early on design choice that would not be easy to change now. Diablo III IS an online MP game. For myself, I don't mind so long as the economy and gameplay are as good as they look to be.

61. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done" Jan 6, 2012, 12:53 Verno

It's a Blizzard game, their games practically run on toasters (ok well, maybe not Starcraft 2). The graphics in D3 are fine and while they won't hold up well in ten years very few games do.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

60. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 12:37 Krovven

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 10:02:
nin wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 07:52:

It's fact imo

Aaaand we're done here. Thanks for playing.

Man you guys can't take a joke. In all seriousness though, yeah Blizzard's graphics are a joke.

We both know it wasnt a joke, particularly when you are still saying the same damn thing and still stating your opinion as a fact.

I've always liked Blizzards graphics style, particularly because their graphic styles hold up over time (Diablo 2 excluded). Diablo3 doesn't look bad, in-fact it looks really good. I do find the human models to be rather bland. If you are judging solely on screenshots, inaccurate representation, as the game looks great in motion. And I've actually played the beta, can you say the same?

59. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 10:05 nin

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 10:02:

It's fact imo

Man you guys can't take a joke. In all seriousness though, yeah Blizzard's graphics are a joke.

I will openly admit it's hard to read people sometimes with just text.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 10:02 RollinThundr

It's fact imo

57. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 09:34 Verno

Actually, the FACTS are that in the US 60%+ have broadband access. 37% of those that do not said "not interested", 26% said "too expensive" and 18% said "no computer". These numbers are 2 years old, the numbers with broadband will have only increased in that time.

Doesn't really say much though is the problem. The quality of the connection the person has is a lot more telling, particularly when you're trying to evaluate potential interruption in things that requiring ongoing sessions instead of just intermittent usage.

Many people are left with a single oversold internet provider, the majority might have a second choice and rural areas are frequently left with satellite/wireless providers. It'd be great if we all had Verizon FTTH and didn't need to worry about minor problems messing with a game we're playing but that's a fantasy. The reality is that there have been more than enough problems and examples related to ongoing DRM to make a case that it should be avoided for non-multiplayer games.

I have a pretty stable connection and I believe that Blizzard designs quality products but this worries me a bit. I also wonder how the future bolds for the non-MMO side of the Warcraft franchise going forward. I don't really believe every game needs to have an online component check regardless of broadband penetration. There's no real design purpose for it, the anti-piracy implications are small judging by how quickly SC2 was pirated and I have yet to hear anyone make a convincing argument. "U ALL GOTS INTERNET, DEAL WITH IT" doesn't really tell me why it should be there other than to inconvenience me.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2012, 09:47.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

56. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 07:52 nin

It's fact imo

55. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 05:58 Ventura

So I believe you exist, you gamers with internet issues. But you're being left behind. And no one would even notice if you didn't complain about it so much.

To be honest, I don't know if most of those that have a problem with it here do so because they'd have trouble meeting the prerequisite, or if they just don't like it on principle even though it wouldn't technically be a problem.

Either way, that's their choice, but because I'm gonna be going somewhere where I'm going to have to suffer unreliable internet, at least for the time being, it's something I'm pretty much forced into passing on.

54. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 01:56 Fletch

Krovven wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 01:13:
It's fact imo

/facepalm

LOL

53. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 01:13 Krovven

It's fact imo

/facepalm

52. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 00:10 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 23:04:

It's fact imo, SC2 looked like a shiny SC1 with obviously better textures. D3 looks to be about the same. I'm sorry but graphically Blizzard titles just aren't impressive and never have been.

51. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 23:32 Dades

Actually, the FACTS are that in the US 60%+ have broadband access. 37% of those that do not said "not interested", 26% said "too expensive" and 18% said "no computer". These numbers are 2 years old, the numbers with broadband will have only increased in that time.

By simple deduction, the majority of gamers do have broadband internet. Quite frankly, if you dont have internet access, you probably don't play many games, particularly modern ones and your lack of purchase won't be missed. The world has moved on, industries with it. We don't care if you can't play game "X" 25% of the year due to lack of stable internet.

That ignores several factors like reliability, travel and so on but let's put it aside. None of that is a good reason for requiring internet access for games with components obviously intended for offline play. My internet connection shouldn't be their anti-piracy tool. I don't mind them putting in a check to make sure I've paid for my copy, I mind my experience being interrupted because of it. I have no problem with gated multiplayer, that just makes sense. Gated singleplayer is fucking dumb.

50. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 23:04 nin

49. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 22:44 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:14:
The reason Blizzard has never set the bar on graphics is because they couldn't manage to have a reasonable development time table to save their lives.

No, the reason Blizzard has never set the bar high on graphics is so their games can be sold and played across a wide range of systems, both pc and mac. Thus ensuring maximum sales.

If that were the case nin their high settings wouldn't look like ass as well. Let's face it when the tech powering your titles is 6-7 years or more outdated because your dev cycles are ridiculously long for zero reason, it's less a matter of making sure you can run on lower end systems and more a matter of their teams are badly managed wrt having reasonable dev cycles compared to the entire rest of the game industry.

Plenty of devs that make PC titles make their games scaleable with settings to turn down the eye candy if need be, Blizzard titles look like shit regardless.

Edit: for example if Bethesda can put out a game like Skyrim in 5 years with a huge open world, surely Blizzard can put out a static loot driven action RPG in the same time or less. They've certainly had no problem pumping out WoW expansions.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 22:54.

48. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 20:58 Undocumented Alien

I think it's fairly obvious that Diablo isn't a single player game

That's weird, I pretty much remember there being a Single Player and Multiplayer menu selection IN THE GAME. So, it's more then "fairly obvious" that Diablo is a Single Player game as well as a multiplayer game.

47. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 20:54 Undocumented Alien

No one needs - and most of us don't want - online connection/drm for single-player games.

That's the KEY word(s), SINGLE PLAYER. Having to have an ALWAYS on, online connection, to play a SINGLE PLAYER game is asinine.

No one that I can see is complaining about having to play online in regards to multi-player and Blizz wanting to control that more tightly for duping and the auction house stuff.

But dam... DETACH the single player part so we can play on the road, on a plane, etc.

Craziness.

46. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done" Jan 5, 2012, 20:27 Cutter

No one needs - and most of us don't want - online connection/drm for single-player games. Period. You're ok with it? Super. We're not. Blizzard doesn't get out money. End of discussion.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo