Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done"

A Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website is now online, marking this recent milestone for Blizzard's action/RPG. This offers an overview of the game, a Diablo timeline, an extended retrospective, developer interviews, and more. As noted on Blizzplanet, the interview with Jay Wilson offers an optimistic outlook on the state of Diablo III development: "We are almost done with Diablo III, and thatís a fitting celebration of the 15th year anniversary for Diablo. So, we are getting it to you as soon as we can."

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

25. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 15:25 Cutter

Red wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 11:33:
As for requiring an online connection, the fact that you blast it pretty much tells me you're a troll or an idiot. That's got to be the most shallow excuse to belittle something I've ever heard. It's disgusting how small minded so many people are that they can't get over this. Almost every game I've played in the last 10+ years either requires a constant connection, or has an online/offline mode option where online is the only version I'd ever consider playing. Whether it's strictly for DRM purposes or because it enables the game creator to offer more features doesn't even matter. My computer is on the internet. Where's the issue? On a personal note, I'd much rather have a connection and benefit from the enhanced gameplay experience, progression backup, and cheat protection; offline mode offers absolutely no advantages except the temptation to ruin my own enjoyment.

This isn't the first time you've shilled for Blizzard and their new DRM. So, do you work for them or some viral marketing firm trying to sell people on this bullshit? You're obviously too smart, and write too well to be just another of the mindless consumer sheep who just bend over and take it, so yeah, I'm going to go with my first instinct which is shill.

So, Mr. Shill, tell us, what are all these games over the last decade which require and online connection? Excepting the obvious - which no one has a problem with - of MUDs/MMOs and co-op/multiplayer, as well as Ubisoft's failed stab at it, what are all these single-player games that require an internet connection to play. See, in the last decade of my 25 plus years of gaming not a single one comes to mind. Isn't that odd? Further, how does requiring a single-player to be online offer more features? Seems to me if they have to be online and can't be that they're actually getting less. It's what we used to call "crippleware".

So please explain - in exacting detail - how this "enhances" your gameplay. And what do you need cheat-protection from as a single-player playing a single-player game? Yourself? "What do you need protection from, Tommy? Zee germans?" How does being offline ruin your enjoyment? You don't not like having your habits tracked and sold to third party marketing vendors? You're unhappy when corporations who have no business in your personal life aren't spying on you and trying to figure better ways to prise you from your money, all while giving you less value for your dollar? Well, whatever floars your boat, Mr. Shill. See, for the rest of us, we don't need, and we especially do not want any of that crap, so you may as well go pound sand because you're not selling that corporate-whore BS line here. Kthnx.

P.S. This is the first Blizzard game I won't be purchasing. And given their current attitude I doubt I'll be buying anything else from them in future as well. At this point it's pretty much safe to say that my relationship with Actiblizz is over. If they ev er decide to pull their head of their ass, stop being greedy, respecting their customers and making games for gamers I'll happily reconsider my position at that point in time.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 14:59 Creston

Fion wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 13:44:

As to 'online only', that's been biting blizzard in the ass in beta and caused a great deal of ire amongst testers.

Blizzard's response:

*shrug*

Creston

23. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 14:51 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:45:
InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:19:
Yeah because graphics are the only important thing about any video game. A video game must have the best graphics EAVAR when it comes out. Look at Crysis, that was the best game ever made in the history of the universe when it came out....

It was. It was pirated 200 million times which cost Crytek 9.8 trillion dollars in lost revenues.

Creston

Delicious Cevat tears.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 14:49 Red

Bhruic wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:44:
The idiot here is you for assuming that everyone has the same gaming issues that you have. Constant online not a problem for you? Congrats. That doesn't mean it's not a problem for other people. Small-minded dolts like you are always a large part of the problem... "It doesn't affect me personally, so it can't possibly be an issue for anyone else".
On the one hand, I agree with your general observation. But fortunately for my side of the argument, it is a fact that most gamers are online. So I'm not making my point from the stance that a connectivity requirement doesn't impact me personally, I'm making my point from the stance that a connectivity requirement doesn't impact pretty much any gamer. Including you. Welcome to the modern world where even "poor" people have the internet in their pockets.

Verno wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:20:
...one thing I will note that is that the DRM eventually did prove to be a real issue. In the early beta phases the demand was light and the servers were mostly fine aside from the usual beta downtime. As demand increased I noticed all sorts of oddities in losing time, lag between animations and events, etc.
That's a valid concern, but not really DRM's fault. Capacity planning is an issue all online games must handle, regardless of why the game requires connectivity. In this day and age, there really is no excuse for a company not to handle this properly, at least for the real release. Hopefully they just had limited capacity for the beta.

21. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 14:45 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:19:
Yeah because graphics are the only important thing about any video game. A video game must have the best graphics EAVAR when it comes out. Look at Crysis, that was the best game ever made in the history of the universe when it came out....

It was. It was pirated 200 million times which cost Crytek 9.8 trillion dollars in lost revenues.

Creston

20. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 13:44 Fion

Being in beta (as short as it might be) I can say the game really 'feels' like Diablo. The base mechanics are very solid, the classes are all fun and feel different (and have different power curves). The graphics are.. well they are kinda shit. When you've been making a game for a decade and your engine is based on 2006 tech, that's to be expected.

Good thing is, Diablo has 'never' been about the graphics. The gore sure, the horrific creatures, the sweet class abilities, but never about the graphics themselves.

The mechanics are incredibly dumbed down but there is actually still a fair deal of complexity involved in the characters, this will be especially true at higher difficulties where you cant blow through Hell with a poorly set up character. Skill choice matters, as do runes and passives. You cant allocate your attributes and that f'ing blows, but IMHO it's better than a skill tree while retaining the customization of your character compared to others of your class. There will certainly be 'defacto Hell builds' but choices of passive skills and runes will really separate the 'good players' from the 'bad'.

As to 'online only', that's been biting blizzard in the ass in beta and caused a great deal of ire amongst testers.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 13:50.

19. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 12:44 Bhruic

As for requiring an online connection, the fact that you blast it pretty much tells me you're a troll or an idiot

The idiot here is you for assuming that everyone has the same gaming issues that you have. Constant online not a problem for you? Congrats. That doesn't mean it's not a problem for other people. Small-minded dolts like you are always a large part of the problem... "It doesn't affect me personally, so it can't possibly be an issue for anyone else".

18. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 12:44 Respen

Icewind wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:56:
Hudson wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:26:
Wildone wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:13:
I cant WAIT to see the graphics on this, after 9 years it must be the most effin amazing thing ever to behold by human eyes, just like Duke Nukem Forever! WOWWWWWW I bow before the gods of Blizzard!

Wow you really are a moron. Grats

no, the morons are the Diablo fans who are actually looking forward to this game and blindly defending it.

You like the backwards step in graphics? (It looks barely as good as Torchlight) You enjoy not being able to allocate attribute points? You enjoy the dumbed down skill system? You enjoy the enforced online connectivity when playing in single player? You enjoy forced DRM? You enjoy the fact that Blizzard now has a track record, thanks to SC2, of banning people for cheating in singleplayer and will probably do that in D3 as well?

There are few Diablo fans who love those first two games more than I do, but I wouldn't play D3 if you gave it to me *for free*. There are far better alternatives out there. Like Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2 and if you don't mind the aged graphics, Depths of Peril. Buying Diablo 3 is basically telling Blizzard and the whole gaming development community that you are fine with being treated like trash. If you are cool with that, great. Contribute to the downward spiral.

I won't be. I'll be waiting for Torchlight 2.

No more attribute points? That means that I can play competitively without having to follow one or two cookie cutter builds skipping all of the fun abilities?

I HATED the switch to skill trees in D2 (and every MMO these days for that matter). You just sold another copy of D3 with your post. I'm actually excited now!

17. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 12:20 Verno

I spent a decent amount of time in the D3 beta and while I enjoyed it, I definitely had some concerns. The Diablo formula is still intact but the new skill system was pretty jarring at low levels. It was hard to get an idea of itemization since the beta didn't include something like 90% of the items and suffixes that will be available. I really disliked not being able to allocate attribute points, some people say they are meaningless but D2 had a ton of very specialized builds that depended on them.

It really does have a bit of a WoW feel to it, particularly when in the overworld but luckily the dungeon running felt like old school Diablo to me. I'm cautiously optimistic based on my time but one thing I will note that is that the DRM eventually did prove to be a real issue. In the early beta phases the demand was light and the servers were mostly fine aside from the usual beta downtime. As demand increased I noticed all sorts of oddities in losing time, lag between animations and events, etc. I can't imagine what launch day is going to be like for people trying to do the SP in D3.

There was no promised multiplayer for Torchlight

I do recall them making some claim about them making the MMO being free for Torchlight 1 consumers but I don't remember the specifics nor care to get into a 20 post argument about it. I think most reasonable people can see that they're a small studio and that's not a financial reality anymore as their goals and products changed.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

16. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 12:08 Krovven

wolve wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 11:20:
You like the backwards step in graphics? (It looks barely as good as Torchlight)
Too bad Torchlight barely plays as good as Diablo 1 (so much for that promised multiplayer).

There was no promised multiplayer for Torchlight. They said they were working on a Torchlight MMO, which was put on the backburner to make Torchlight 2, which does have multiplayer.

I'll buy Diablo 3 and enjoy it. It is lacking in some areas, but still fun (having played the beta). Unlike some folks here, I don't have a stick up my ass over online connectivity for games. Would be rather hypocritical of me (and anyone else that uses Steam) to draw a line in the sand with D3 over that issue. It wasn't a problem for me with SC2, it won't be for D3.

15. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done" Jan 5, 2012, 11:57 space captain

i almost care  
Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 11:53 Yakubs

but I wouldn't play D3 if you gave it to me *for free*.

I won't be as diplomatic as Red. Icewind, you have some growing up to do.

13. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 11:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile... I am greatly looking forward to all of these Diablo alternatives/clones what have you, but unfortunately all three of them look to be even MORE delayed than Diablo 3.

All pro/con X game thoughts aside, one would think that it wouldn't be THAT hard to make a top down 'action-RPG' that's mostly focused on loot.

For the record, I am most likely going to give in and buy Diablo 3, the beta IS fun, even without runes. I played Diablo 2 online 99% of the time when it was new, on ladder only. The online aspect is annoying but I will stomach it. Real Money Auction House I will avoid like the plague, and I can't see myself using the Gold Auction House at all either.

The only thing that will result in me boycotting Diablo 3 at this stage is either an increase in the RealID/Facebook bullshit tie-ins, or finding out that the game is going to be released as cripple-ware, aka you need to buy X functionality for 10 bucks or whatever after the initial box price. Which, given Activision-Blizzard's greed, is entirely possible, unfortunately.

For those with a Diablo/Diablo clone fix in need of satiating, I recommend Diablo 2 with mods. Median 2012 + PlugY, or PerfectDrop + PlugY, offline single player or open bnet.

12. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 11:33 Red

I do agree with you (Icewind) that it's moronic to blindly defend a game one hasn't played yet, but why is it moronic to look forward to the game? I'm a fan of the first two, and everything previewed so far about D3 makes it look like it will be a lot of fun to play through. Best game ever? Can't really say until I play it, but I won't be disappointed if it's not. I simply want a good time, worth what I pay for it, and it seems poised to deliver that.

Blizzard games have never, I repeat, never, set the bar for graphics. But for that trade-off, their games typically run well on older systems, allowing them to target a bigger audience. And relatively poorer graphics have never prevented their games from being fun.

Whether or not I can allocate attribute points isn't relevant. Supposedly, that's not the whole picture. I do care about whether or not I can truly make my hero feel unique, customized to my preferences. And I will be disappointed if I can't, but without playing the game, I have no reason to assume that that hangs entirely on the attribute point system.

As for requiring an online connection, the fact that you blast it pretty much tells me you're a troll or an idiot. That's got to be the most shallow excuse to belittle something I've ever heard. It's disgusting how small minded so many people are that they can't get over this. Almost every game I've played in the last 10+ years either requires a constant connection, or has an online/offline mode option where online is the only version I'd ever consider playing. Whether it's strictly for DRM purposes or because it enables the game creator to offer more features doesn't even matter. My computer is on the internet. Where's the issue? On a personal note, I'd much rather have a connection and benefit from the enhanced gameplay experience, progression backup, and cheat protection; offline mode offers absolutely no advantages except the temptation to ruin my own enjoyment.

Oh, and, way to blindly defend another unreleased game: Torchlight 2. Sure, it'll probably be cool. But you're the one who made the point that it's moronic to defend something blindly. Is the validity of your argument based on whether or not the person in question is you?

11. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done" Jan 5, 2012, 11:21 crypto

"Almost care"  

10. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 11:20 wolve

You like the backwards step in graphics? (It looks barely as good as Torchlight)
Too bad Torchlight barely plays as good as Diablo 1 (so much for that promised multiplayer).

9. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 11:18 Wildone

No no nooooo Blizzard has poured SO MUCH time & money into this amazing software, its the be all end all of EVERYTHING! In time for the 2012 apocalypse, OMG they are SO smartt they timed it PERFECTLY. D3 will be released Dec 21 2012!!!!!!  

8. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 10:56 Icewind

Hudson wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:26:
Wildone wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:13:
I cant WAIT to see the graphics on this, after 9 years it must be the most effin amazing thing ever to behold by human eyes, just like Duke Nukem Forever! WOWWWWWW I bow before the gods of Blizzard!

Wow you really are a moron. Grats

no, the morons are the Diablo fans who are actually looking forward to this game and blindly defending it.

You like the backwards step in graphics? (It looks barely as good as Torchlight) You enjoy not being able to allocate attribute points? You enjoy the dumbed down skill system? You enjoy the enforced online connectivity when playing in single player? You enjoy forced DRM? You enjoy the fact that Blizzard now has a track record, thanks to SC2, of banning people for cheating in singleplayer and will probably do that in D3 as well?

There are few Diablo fans who love those first two games more than I do, but I wouldn't play D3 if you gave it to me *for free*. There are far better alternatives out there. Like Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2 and if you don't mind the aged graphics, Depths of Peril. Buying Diablo 3 is basically telling Blizzard and the whole gaming development community that you are fine with being treated like trash. If you are cool with that, great. Contribute to the downward spiral.

I won't be. I'll be waiting for Torchlight 2.

7. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 10:51 Wildone

YES. After 8+ years they spent on it, it has to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A nd no doubt the AI will be ALIVE, AS IN A LIVE!  

6. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 10:44 InBlack

"We are almost done with Diablo III"

(translation)

"We will ship the game as soon as this shit with South Korea is sorted out. Scouts honor!"

I have a nifty blue line!

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo