Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done"

A Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website is now online, marking this recent milestone for Blizzard's action/RPG. This offers an overview of the game, a Diablo timeline, an extended retrospective, developer interviews, and more. As noted on Blizzplanet, the interview with Jay Wilson offers an optimistic outlook on the state of Diablo III development: "We are almost done with Diablo III, and thatís a fitting celebration of the 15th year anniversary for Diablo. So, we are getting it to you as soon as we can."

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

45. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 20:14 shinchan0s

I honestly stopped waiting for D3 and took up the ukulele instead.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 19:04 Red

Ventura wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 18:04:
What, you think it's just people with fast, stable internet connections saying 'no' for the hell of it? Here's a thought, it could actually be because of an inability to meet the prerequisite.
Yes, that's what I'm wondering. A lot of the arguments seem to lean that way, too, with their conspiracy theories about selling personal data, tracking habits, and such. Or they're just trying to rally against DRM, which I am on board with as DRM does more harm than good, but I fully support a connectivity requirement for other features (auction house, game saves, multiplayer, achievements, etc). If it also provides DRM, fine, whatever, I was already hooked by the features. The DRM addition isn't hurting me.

I realize there are gamers for whom connectivity geninuely is an issue, but who are these people? Based on the features most modern games strive to support, the millions in MMOs, the audience the game industry is heavily focusing on, the existence of wifi in so many household devices, the success of streaming services like iTunes and Netflix, the success of things like XBOX Live, the stereotype that gamers wear headsets and yell at each other while playing, the proliferation of smartphones to nearly every modern human... clearly the vast majority are online. Or at least, all the money that companies want belongs to people who are online because they're not making much effort to get money from anyone else.

So I believe you exist, you gamers with internet issues. But you're being left behind. And no one would even notice if you didn't complain about it so much.

Fletch wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 18:39:
I'm not sure if Mr. Shill is really just a shill, or just one of thousands of asshat console-kiddies weened on XBL who have no clue what a computer game is, and just what direction these greedy corporate whores are trying to take PC gaming.
No, I'm an old-schooler. Grew up on ColecoVision and Atari, then NES and SNES. Started PC gaming from there on a 486 (Doom1+2, Duke3D, Moo2, Civ, etc etc). I never really got back into console gaming after SNES, although I have owned a PS2 and Wii (very little playing of either). Due to convenience and time limitations with a new baby, I admittedly do more iOS gaming now than PC gaming, but I still yearn for it and squeeze in sessions now and then. I have friends in the game industry and dabbled in the mod scene myself (Lord Red's PUD Page for War2, SWAT:Aftermath for War3, a PvP mod that was pretty popular for NWN).

I've also had stable broadband since 1996. Which is where I assume you must be stuck if you don't have solid internet.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 19:15.

43. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 18:48 killer_roach

Krovven wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 18:40:
Actually, the FACTS are that in the US 60%+ have broadband access. 37% of those that do not said "not interested", 26% said "too expensive" and 18% said "no computer". These numbers are 2 years old, the numbers with broadband will have only increased in that time.

By simple deduction, the majority of gamers do have broadband internet. Quite frankly, if you dont have internet access, you probably don't play many games, particularly modern ones and your lack of purchase won't be missed. The world has moved on, industries with it. We don't care if you can't play game "X" 25% of the year due to lack of stable internet.

Just to be the contrarian here, "broadband" doesn't necessarily imply "reliable". Hell, I had Charter for years... if I got two hours of uninterrupted uptime, it was a freaking miracle.

42. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 18:45 Fletch

Ventura wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 18:04:
What, you think it's just people with fast, stable internet connections saying 'no' for the hell of it?

I am.

Fuck Blizzard.

41. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 18:40 Krovven

Paketep wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:33:
Red wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:49:
But fortunately for my side of the argument, it is a fact that most gamers are online.

You seem to get your facts from the same place that Cevat Yerli, Mr. "our game would have sold 20 times more if not for piracy".

The only fact I'm seeing demonstrated here is that you are a troll AND an idiot (your words, by the way), and you're one of those gamers that as long as they have no problem with the requirements, they don't care if the rest of us can go to hell.

Blizzard already spoke about finishing D3 SOLO, i.e., as a single player game. Your arguments suck. You want to pay them more for an inferior product, whatever, but don't take the rest of us for idiots.

Oh, and if you live in central new york and have an affordable, reliable net connection, congratulations. The rest of us don't. And the rest of us is the majority of the world. And that's a fact.

Because I say so.

And because it is.

Look it up.

Actually, the FACTS are that in the US 60%+ have broadband access. 37% of those that do not said "not interested", 26% said "too expensive" and 18% said "no computer". These numbers are 2 years old, the numbers with broadband will have only increased in that time.

By simple deduction, the majority of gamers do have broadband internet. Quite frankly, if you dont have internet access, you probably don't play many games, particularly modern ones and your lack of purchase won't be missed. The world has moved on, industries with it. We don't care if you can't play game "X" 25% of the year due to lack of stable internet.

40. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 18:39 Fletch

Red wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 16:31:
...clipped everything...

IOW...

"If you don't play the games I play, the way I choose to play them, you're a troll or an idiot, or small minded."

I'm not sure if Mr. Shill is really just a shill, or just one of thousands of asshat console-kiddies weened on XBL who have no clue what a computer game is, and just what direction these greedy corporate whores are trying to take PC gaming. He has the tact and bearing of one who's personality was formed within the glow of a faceless internet bereft of the instantaneous karmic recompense that benefitted the rest of us who actually grew up in RL.

What I am sure of is that I won't be seeing any more of his stupid, incredibly ignorant comments.

39. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 18:30 Mr. Tact

Hudson wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:43:
I think half the people that cry about being online are using 56k modems still or live in poverty. Deal with it
I think people who make random assumptions are either fools or idiots. Deal with it.

(Sorry Blue, I couldn't resist)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 18:04 Ventura

I still don't get why there's such a vocal minority who can't stomach a connectivity requirement.

What, you think it's just people with fast, stable internet connections saying 'no' for the hell of it? Here's a thought, it could actually be because of an inability to meet the prerequisite.

We're moving in a couple of months, out of a rental property and into a place of our own, but it's in a suburb where the council opted to go straight to a fibre optic network, and that meant going with a third party provider. As such, the internet is expensive, and apparently, really rather unstable, and because it's with a third-party provider, none of the major carriers will touch it.

The most annoying thing about this debate has always been the closed-minded who are so used to stable internet that they can't imagine anyone not having it.

37. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:58 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:14:
The reason Blizzard has never set the bar on graphics is because they couldn't manage to have a reasonable development time table to save their lives.

No, the reason Blizzard has never set the bar high on graphics is so their games can be sold and played across a wide range of systems, both pc and mac. Thus ensuring maximum sales.

When Half-Life 2 came out, it looked absolutely gorgeous on high-end hardware... yet could run on very modest systems as well.

Diablo III will run on modest hardware... and look the same on a high-end rig as it does on the budget box.

And additionally, if Starcraft II is any indication, the high detail settings for D3 will look only marginally better than their low-end counterparts, but run significantly slower.

36. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:43 Angrius Maximis

I think half the people that cry about being online are using 56k modems still or live in poverty. Deal with it  

35. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:34 Paketep

Red wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:28:
[...]So now I can say that most gamers are online, and even those that aren't, in fact usually are?[...]

You can say whatever you want. It doesn't make it true.

34. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:33 Paketep

Red wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:49:
But fortunately for my side of the argument, it is a fact that most gamers are online.

You seem to get your facts from the same place that Cevat Yerli, Mr. "our game would have sold 20 times more if not for piracy".

The only fact I'm seeing demonstrated here is that you are a troll AND an idiot (your words, by the way), and you're one of those gamers that as long as they have no problem with the requirements, they don't care if the rest of us can go to hell.

Blizzard already spoke about finishing D3 SOLO, i.e., as a single player game. Your arguments suck. You want to pay them more for an inferior product, whatever, but don't take the rest of us for idiots.

Oh, and if you live in central new york and have an affordable, reliable net connection, congratulations. The rest of us don't. And the rest of us is the majority of the world. And that's a fact.

Because I say so.

And because it is.

Look it up.

33. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:28 Red

Bhruic wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:01:
I have decent internet for about 75% of the year. But for the other 25%, I have either dialup, or extremely poor wireless.
Pointing out that some gamers are not online clearly doesn't invalidate my claim that most gamers are online. So not only did you not contradict my claim, but you went ahead and volunteered that even you are in the majority pool most of the time. So now I can say that most gamers are online, and even those that aren't, in fact usually are? I'm sorry you must spend 3 months of the year with crappy internet. I'd be pissed too if that was the case. I'm glad I'm not a part of that tiny minority, and plenty of game companies have clearly written you off. They can sustain their business model selling entirely to online customers. Because that's like, nearly everyone. Or so I must assume. Their executive's fat wallets seem like good evidence. MMOs subscriber count looks like good evidence. XBOX Live popularity looks like good evidence. Smartphone sales are almost unbelievable (I know Blizzard doesn't make smartphone games, but lots of game companies do).

32. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:14 nin

The reason Blizzard has never set the bar on graphics is because they couldn't manage to have a reasonable development time table to save their lives.

No, the reason Blizzard has never set the bar high on graphics is so their games can be sold and played across a wide range of systems, both pc and mac. Thus ensuring maximum sales.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:05 RollinThundr

Red wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 11:33:
I do agree with you (Icewind) that it's moronic to blindly defend a game one hasn't played yet, but why is it moronic to look forward to the game? I'm a fan of the first two, and everything previewed so far about D3 makes it look like it will be a lot of fun to play through. Best game ever? Can't really say until I play it, but I won't be disappointed if it's not. I simply want a good time, worth what I pay for it, and it seems poised to deliver that.

Blizzard games have never, I repeat, never, set the bar for graphics. But for that trade-off, their games typically run well on older systems, allowing them to target a bigger audience. And relatively poorer graphics have never prevented their games from being fun.

Whether or not I can allocate attribute points isn't relevant. Supposedly, that's not the whole picture. I do care about whether or not I can truly make my hero feel unique, customized to my preferences. And I will be disappointed if I can't, but without playing the game, I have no reason to assume that that hangs entirely on the attribute point system.

As for requiring an online connection, the fact that you blast it pretty much tells me you're a troll or an idiot. That's got to be the most shallow excuse to belittle something I've ever heard. It's disgusting how small minded so many people are that they can't get over this. Almost every game I've played in the last 10+ years either requires a constant connection, or has an online/offline mode option where online is the only version I'd ever consider playing. Whether it's strictly for DRM purposes or because it enables the game creator to offer more features doesn't even matter. My computer is on the internet. Where's the issue? On a personal note, I'd much rather have a connection and benefit from the enhanced gameplay experience, progression backup, and cheat protection; offline mode offers absolutely no advantages except the temptation to ruin my own enjoyment.

Oh, and, way to blindly defend another unreleased game: Torchlight 2. Sure, it'll probably be cool. But you're the one who made the point that it's moronic to defend something blindly. Is the validity of your argument based on whether or not the person in question is you?

The reason Blizzard has never set the bar on graphics is because they couldn't manage to have a reasonable development time table to save their lives. The fact that they take 7-10 years PER game speaks volumes about the lack of proper management or leadership at Blizzard.

I could justify their long dev cycles if they actually innovated, unfortunately each of their titles is a rehashed sequel 99.9% of the time that brings nothing new to the table.

In the case of D3 they've gone one step further to not only dumb the game systems down but force always online DRM for single player, and show their greed with real money auctions as well.

Granted most do have high speed internet but being forced onto Battle.net to play single player is a hoop I won't be jumping through.

Fuck blizzard.

30. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 17:01 Bhruic

Sure, and it's a fact that not all gamers are online all the time.

I'm making my point from the stance that a connectivity requirement doesn't impact pretty much any gamer. Including you.

Right, and now with your stupid crystal ball approach, you've downgraded yourself from idiot to dumbass. Yeah, I have decent internet for about 75% of the year. But for the other 25%, I have either dialup, or extremely poor wireless. In neither situation can I play any game that requires a constant internet connection. So yes, this damn well does impact me.

29. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 16:52 DrEvil

Yakubs wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 16:32:
Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:25:
what are all these single-player games that require an internet connection to play.

I think it's fairly obvious that Diablo isn't a single player game.

But keep on fighting the good fight, Internet Activist.

I think it's fairly obvious that some people want to redefine the definition of a single-player game.

I personally feel that your attitude is detrimental to gaming.

28. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 16:32 Yakubs

what are all these single-player games that require an internet connection to play.

I think it's fairly obvious that Diablo isn't a single player game.

But keep on fighting the good fight, Internet Activist.

27. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 16:31 Red

This isn't the first time you've shilled for Blizzard and their new DRM. So, do you work for them or some viral marketing firm trying to sell people on this bullshit? You're obviously too smart, and write too well to be just another of the mindless consumer sheep who just bend over and take it, so yeah, I'm going to go with my first instinct which is shill.

So, Mr. Shill, tell us, what are all these games over the last decade which require and online connection? Excepting the obvious - which no one has a problem with - of MUDs/MMOs and co-op/multiplayer, as well as Ubisoft's failed stab at it, what are all these single-player games that require an internet connection to play.
I see where some confusion has arisen. You've decided to classify Diablo 3 as a single player game, and you also seem to assert that single player is synonymous with offline. Because we're talking about D3, you'd made the assumption that you and I are dicussing this same notion of single player, too. But I never said I was talking about single player games, nor do I even think of D3 as a single player game as I fully intend to co-op it like I did D2. In fact, I really don't even use that classification any more. I just think of them as games.

As far as I'm concerned, D2 required an online connection, at least in the sense that I never had any interest in offline mode. No ladder so less sense of accomplishment. No anonymous co-op. No item trading. No thrill from irreversible death. No thanks. Offline D2 was certainly the crippled version of the game, lacking features that I thought really added to the fun.

Guild Wars (no, it is NOT an MMO) I usually played by myself, but it still required connectivity. Which was awesome. I love being able to web-download the client app and continue my adventures with no worries about lost data. Even my keyboard controls were stored online. I liked occassionally helping people or getting help. Online trade is the only way to have an in-game economy.

Achievements. A little newer to the gaming scene if you're an old-timer, but they're getting more and more prominent in pretty much every kind of game. I like them; it's fun to compare with my friends. And it's not just me, or it wouldn't be catching on so well. Now I realize that achievements don't need constant connectivity, but neither should D3 if you're playing by yourself. Sure, Blizzard may have coded it that way, but that's just poor engineering. Even if you want to use connectivity as a form of DRM, there is no reason to require constant connectivity except for a suboptimal design.

Warcraft 3. Sure, it had an offline mode for the single player campaign, but I never finished it because of losing saves (computer upgrades or whatever). I spent far more time playing online anyway, sometimes melee, usually custom maps. Similar to D2, the online aspects of War3 were what were significantly appealing; they're what keep a game going strong in the community year after year and thus warranting it being patched and maintained. Offline mode is throwaway, forgettable. As a developer, I'd have little incentive to invest a lot of money in making something like that, in this day and age, anyway.

I don't know why I'm supposed to except the obvious MMOs and multiplayer games. Those are really the only games I play. Maybe I am in fact a minority in that regard, but last time I checked, MMOs had a pretty big following, and pretty much every FPS has multiplayer. Social gaming is taking off, and achievement systems have invaded most single player games. Because being online just isn't a problem, and connectivity adds features that people have come to expect.

Regardless of all of this, I still don't get why there's such a vocal minority who can't stomach a connectivity requirement. And to be sure, you're a minority. Your average teenagers, many of them gamers, don't even have a concept of not being on the internet. And your average techie has had broadband since the last millenium. Are you just annoyed that you can't play Diablo 3 on an airplane? Because I'm pretty sure its M rating would make that inappropriate either way.

Edit: Thought I would add that my perspectives come from being a game player and game developer (not for profit). I can see the business perspective too, but that's generally not where I argue from.

I don't care if a company knows how often I'm playing their game or what kind of things I'm doing in their game because I know that they will use that info to make their game more awesome and fun (because then I'm more likely to buy more of their stuff, and that's what they ultimately want).

I don't want them selling my contact info, but reputable companies usually disclaim whether or not they're doing that. And I typically register with a one-off email address anyway. What other personal info are they even collecting from me? My preference for smashing orcs over elves? How long I try to find the right angle to see up NPCs' skirts? They really only get my gaming habits, and that is used to make more games for me.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 16:44.

26. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 16:27 Mr. Tact

Krovven wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:08:
Unlike some folks here, I don't have a stick up my ass over online connectivity for games. Would be rather hypocritical of me (and anyone else that uses Steam) to draw a line in the sand with D3 over that issue. It wasn't a problem for me with SC2, it won't be for D3.
I play my Steam games in offline mode. And it was annoying in SC2, just like it will be annoying in D3.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo