Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 6, 2012, 07:04 Bhruic

Only things I buy at BB/FS are stuff that I need to be able to examine physically before buying. Keyboards and mice, for example, as I'm pretty picky about keyboard layout and mouse feel. Otherwise, they're never really competitive price-wise, and I'm not a fan of their pseudo-stalking version of "can I help you today?"  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 17:54 Prez

Well their musical instrument section is usually pretty decent. Ordering guitars, amps, or effects over the Internet is pretty dicey when you can't sample the instrument ahead of time, so its nice to have a nearby store where you can actually put your hands on the stuff. The sales staff is of course clueless but no worse than at Guitar Center.

That's about the only good I can say about Best Buy.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 15:51 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:59:
The last purchase I made from one of these stores was several years ago when I bought my first LCD TV. It was my fault not doing the research on the HDMI cables but I bought one of their 100 dollar cables only to find out how cheap they are online at places like - yep, you guessed it - Amazon. I took it back but they wouldn't return it. Asked for a manager. No store manager. Asked for the regional manager's number. They're not permitted to give it. WTF? Called corporate and got the same run around. That was the last thing I ever bought from those jackasses, or any of these big-box retailers for that matter. They deserve to die ASAP.

They wouldn't take back the freakin' cable? Wow. I see their point with DVDs and games (even if I disagree with it), but a cable? That makes no sense at all. I bought a $30 micro USB car phone charger at BB a few months ago, but took it back and ordered one from Amazon for $8 (thought I needed it right away, but decided to wait for the shipment). I was able to return without issue.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 15:45 jdreyer

The one thing I have traditionally bought at BB was cameras. First, the woman who worked there was a total camera freak, owned a dozen personally and knew everything about them (I haven't seen her there for a year at least though). Secondly, you often need one quickly to capture an important event when yours dies suddenly. Thirdly, BB offered a reasonable 4 year extended warranty. The zoom on my Canon died earlier this year and the fix was free. However, they ruined the autofocus in the process which took two more times sending it back, which was frustrating.

I agree about cables. I'm often in need of some kind of cable. If BB offered them for even $10 or $15 instead of $30 or $50, I'd be in the store a lot more often. Instead I refuse to get them there on principle and order from Amazon for $5-10 and throw in a bluray to get free shipping. So, way to blow a cheap opportunity to increase store traffic.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 14:59 Cutter

Graham wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 13:07:
Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:26:

Had it been Best Buy I would have been boned. And had it been working and unopened I would have faced a 10% restocking fee.

Can't speak for the US, but this is factually incorrect in Canada. There are no restocking fees in the Great White North™.

That doesn't mean the service is any better, mind you–at either brand (Future Shop or Best Buy). I used to work for the FS brand and even I stalked out of the story in a furious rage because of their inability to grasp basic customer service principles. Oddly enough, Best Buy was able to meet my needs in an ironic twist of fate.

BBB owns FS here so there's really no difference, just the illusion of competition. Regardless, the article is spot on. I go to Amazon and search for something? Bang there it is! I search BB/FS and I get 1000 other returns that aren't the thing I want. The store staff are useless as tits on a bull and really don't care about anything - and I can't blame anyone working minimum wage for that. The store layouts are always convoluted and the stores themselves always play too loud, really shitty music and have horrendous lighting to boot. And they're dinosaurs at being competitive. You still see them with games that are F2P and they're charging full, new retail price - oh yeah and you have the added bonus of paying tax on this stuff that you don't online. God forbid if you ever need to return something. 1 person handling a massive line while most employees just walk around looking bored.

The last purchase I made from one of these stores was several years ago when I bought my first LCD TV. It was my fault not doing the research on the HDMI cables but I bought one of their 100 dollar cables only to find out how cheap they are online at places like - yep, you guessed it - Amazon. I took it back but they wouldn't return it. Asked for a manager. No store manager. Asked for the regional manager's number. They're not permitted to give it. WTF? Called corporate and got the same run around. That was the last thing I ever bought from those jackasses, or any of these big-box retailers for that matter. They deserve to die ASAP.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 13:12 Beamer

Graham wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 13:07:

Had it been Best Buy I would have been boned. And had it been working and unopened I would have faced a 10% restocking fee.

Can't speak for the US, but this is factually incorrect in Canada. There are no restocking fees in the Great White North™.

That doesn't mean the service is any better, mind you–at either brand (Future Shop or Best Buy). I used to work for the FS brand and even I stalked out of the story in a furious rage because of their inability to grasp basic customer service principles. Oddly enough, Best Buy was able to meet my needs in an ironic twist of fate.

You're right, they got rid of it a year ago.
Too little, too late.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 13:07 Graham

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 11:35 Verno

5 years ago Best Buy used to have nerdy but knowledgeable staff with eye candy on the registers. Now it's clueless eye candy everywhere and the store is frequently in complete disarray. Staff is poorly trained on everything except upselling customers on high profit items and lying. They've gotten into some shady areas of business too - their price matching policy is a sham, they continually change the model numbers on items to avoid having to do it. They also got into the lovely world of cell phone contracts and all of the lies from sales associates that come with it. Technology stuff is mostly relegated to the back of the store, cell phone and Apple accessories take up the majority of the space at many of the locations now.

My local Best Buy used to have a dark room you could request floor models to be shown in. That got turned into a stock room a few years ago. Now all of the televisions have their brightness turned up to 100 and the sales staff largely don't even give a shit anyway because their profits on most TVs are really low compared to dumb cables and cellphones. The audio section has also dwindled, most reputable brands have been replaced by store branded merchandise and overpriced crap like Bose.

Anyways it's a real shame because I used to like browsing Best Buy quite a bit.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 11:43.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 11:35 Shok

I get most of my computer hardware from newegg. Although Best Buy is one of the few places that still has boxed PC games in at least half of one aisle. Not that I ever buy them there unless it's something new and on sale for a decent price.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 11:25 avianflu

And if you go to a BB in NYC, it mostly 20-something staff with an impressively inappropriate nasty-mouth gangsta attitude. Almost humorous what they get away with in front of customers. Ah NYC.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 11:16 nin

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:58:
I kind of feel sorry for the thousands of employees of Best Buy. Or for that matter any retail shop if Beamer gets his way.

I do too.

And then I think of all the clueless people there that can't find shit.

And how they never stock what I'm after.

And how their shitty web site says a local store has something in stock, and then you drive over there, deal with the clueless people, and discover they in fact don't have it in stock (nor did they ever).

And the stupid shit they want to sell me, like replacement plans and magazine subscriptions. And how I always told them I didn't want their stupid fucking magazines yet one time they showed up in the mailbox anyway, and I had to call them up and bitch at them.

And how they sell $2000 HDMI cables.

Those fuckers cannot go away soon enough. Fuck every one of them.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 11:05 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:58:
I kind of feel sorry for the thousands of employees of Best Buy. Or for that matter any retail shop if Beamer gets his way.

Not sure what you mean. Plenty of retail locations don't actively try to screw over their consumers. Best Buy does.

Also, Best Buy employees tend to be worse than even GameStop ones. How many have you dealt with that seemed qualified?

-------------

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 10:58 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 10:26 Beamer

Yeah, this article has been making the rounds. The discussion of customer service is great. My Kindle broke over the holidays - crushed in a suitcase. I went to amazon.com, loaded up a chat, and within 5 minutes had a new one shipped to me. No phone, no time out of my life. It was sent 2nd day but came overnight. I haven't opened it yet (got it last night), and think it's a "special offers" one whereas the original wasn't, but still, they replaced a Kindle that I broke for free.

Why does anyone go to Best Buy? What do they offer, other than being able to hold something before buying it? That's fantastic for items like clothing and furniture but mostly unnecessary for anything else. Yeah, maybe you want to see a TV or hear speakers before buying, but you can't hear crap in a Best Buy and the TVs are hit with artificial lighting, artificial settings and have been on for longer than you'd ever use it.
The only thing Best Buy offers better than online is impulse purchasing, but does anyone really want that? Is your life that much worse because you didn't have the chance to see that the Brady Bunch Season 5 DVD set was 50% off right next to the register?

-------------

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2012, 10:12 nin

Die BB, DIE!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >