Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans

This update from BioWare's James Ohlen discusses bugs in Star Wars: The Old Republic, reassuring players of the MMORPG that they plan constant updates as well as fixes for emergencies with the game (thanks Massively). Word is:

Almost every week we will be releasing a new patch. These weekly patches are almost entirely focused on bug fixes, minor balance changes and fixing any exploits in the game. These issues are the highest priority items at the studio. They are reviewed by senior leadership on a daily basis. Bug fixes usually take longer than a week to get into the game because we need to fix the issue and then test the fix. Some bugs take longer than that because of the complexity of the issue.

There are issues that we will fix immediately. These are rare and not every issue can be fixed in this manner. We usually reserve these "emergency fixes" for bugs that are stopping players from playing the game or to exploits that could unbalance the entire game if not corrected.

Any game as big and as complex as The Old Republic will have bugs. Weíre working as hard as we can to find, fix, test and patch the game to eliminate as many of them as possible.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 15:07 Fibrocyte

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:56:
Haha sure that's so much better, as if everyone just got together and decided what to like and dislike. Oh and they just happen to dislike the things you like. Everyone on the entire website, they all do it just because....they like to. Yep that's totally rational and not at all weird or paranoid. Everyone hates everything ever because they're meany heads, not because they are humans with opinions that sometimes conflict with yours or something.

They're all out to get you, time to stock up on foodstuffs and used videogames

No ma'am, you're still missing the point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 14:56 Dades

Haha sure that's so much better, as if everyone just got together and decided what to like and dislike. Oh and they just happen to dislike the things you like. Everyone on the entire website, they all do it just because....they like to. Yep that's totally rational and not at all weird or paranoid. Everyone hates everything ever because they're meany heads, not because they are humans with opinions that sometimes conflict with yours or something.

They're all out to get you, time to stock up on foodstuffs and used videogames

29. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 14:51 Fibrocyte

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:48:
Anyone who blames disagreement about a videogame on an imaginary conspiracy of negative gamer groupthink is obviously a troll or an insecure moron who likely can't function in group settings

My comment is not specific to SWTOR. It is the same in almost every thread for every game.

Let me know if I need to help you comprehend anything else that is going on here. Allthumbsup

28. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 14:48 Dades

Anyone who blames disagreement about a videogame on an imaginary conspiracy of negative gamer groupthink is obviously a troll or an insecure moron who likely can't function in group settings  

27. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 14:43 Fibrocyte

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:41:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:34:
Whatever, jackass. You're well aware that bluesnews is SWARMING with people who constantly complain, complain, complain. I feel sorry for Blue because he seems like a nice guy who has somehow attracted a group of mostly negative gamers.

Whatever, dickhead. I'm well aware that you're an insecure little troll who doesn't understand that the universe doesn't revolve around his videogame opinions.

Are you just typing random words? I'm neither insecure nor trolling. Go beat up your dog or something you angry little man.

26. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 14:41 Dades

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 14:34:
Whatever, jackass. You're well aware that bluesnews is SWARMING with people who constantly complain, complain, complain. I feel sorry for Blue because he seems like a nice guy who has somehow attracted a group of mostly negative gamers.

Whatever, dickhead. I'm well aware that you're an insecure little troll who doesn't understand that the universe doesn't revolve around his videogame opinions and that other peoples are just as valid.

25. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 14:34 Fibrocyte

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 07:21:
I'm glad to hear they're fixing the bugs. There's plenty but the game is still a great MMO to play. Is it okay to post non-complaints on bluesnews?

In your case it seems to be only flowery fanboy defense for this game. Must offset all negative comments about game because I enjoy it!

24. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 13:00 Sempai

James Ohlen you're full of shit, like the rest of Bioware.

Love much of the game, but it's a buggy mess in it's current state.
We're still dealing with the very same issue's we reported to Bioware 3-4 months ago and 3 clients earlier in beta.

The UI needs to be addressed asap, no re-size or unlock options, which is truly concerning for a triple A mmo in 2012. They don't seem too pressed to update it either.
Instead Bioware seem to have 2-3 scrubs in the basement pounding away on "top priority" fixes like adding DARTH titles to Inq's names and adding baby names to the credits in the latest patch.

Besides their server team all of Bioware appear to be on vacation.

Game breaking class story bugs, a grouping bug that locks you out of flashpoints, raid frame health bars not updating(oops sorry tank..ur dead.)in groups/operations, no real LFG tool so general chat is spammed 24/7 with folks trying to put together groups. group members and guildies chat not functioning.

It's new so we wont speak of silly things like getting stuck in the ground, falling through the world, fps and memory leak issues, along with companions disappearing entirely.

Also, after getting Huttball in the PvP Q for the 1000th time, Huttball can go suck a dick.

Again, the game is fun, space combat is good fun, it has potential, but as stated Bioware was made aware of these issue's months ago and we still haven't seen much of anything being addressed yet.

I also won't get into the Ability Delay issue that will kill this game dead if not addressed.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=133110

Gotta love mmo's pushed out the door to make the Holidays.

23. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 10:52 WarpCrow

yuastnav wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 06:47:
WarpCrow wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 01:57:
[...] I'm playing the game and I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite having very low expectations thanks to EA's involvement. [...]

Uh, that is not correct. You are having fun because you had low expectations, not despite having low expectations.
You see - you had low expectations i.e. you did not expect very much from this game and the game offered more than you expected and that is why you are having fun.
If you had high expectations than the game would have under-delivered and you would not be having fun.

I understand what you're trying to say, but at the same time if you go into something expecting to hate it, you're more likely to focus on the negatives that confirm your pre-existing notions. Right now I'm just worried about what the cash shop will offer and somewhat pissed about the fact that I, as a fashion-conscious Sith Inquisitor, can't wear a facemask and a hood simultaneously.

22. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 09:52 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 03:58:
Let me guess, every function that leads to an exploit will be temporarily removed from the game, until they can fix it.

6-10 months down the road the huge marketing propaganda machine at EA will have everyone convinced that there were no such functions in the game in the first place anyway...pfffff

These aren't the functions you're looking for. They can go about their business. Move along.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 09:21 Trevellian

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 21:45:
Yeah but currently I have no guild or party chat. As in I can't see what I've typed, and can't see their chat either

1.0.2b Patch Notes 1/5/2012

General

Fixed an issue that could cause in-game chat channels to stop functioning for some players.

Hey... look at that... they didn't take months to fix it. God their patch support sucks.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

20. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 09:05 Verno

Teddy wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 07:39:
As opposed to the masses of "Must hate on this game I've never played" that fill the threads around here?

This is actually a common misconception. The majority of Blues posters are fairly balanced and this forum is pretty much like most others on the internet. There is a vocal minority who are loud and negative just like there is a vocal minority who are full of contentless positivity rooted in only their personal opinion. You take the good with the bad so to speak.

Anyway I didn't really care for my time in this game while in the beta but I do like reading about it. I'm not sure weekly patches are a great idea as I doubt they can legitimately run proper Q/A on those. There were many rough spots in the beta but the overall bugs weren't so much a problem as it was the infrastructure never holding up.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

19. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 08:33 InBlack

Yeah we all must be haters, because no MMO developer in history has ever promised weekly patches and hotfixes and failed to deliver them. Oh and that is especially true of EA. They are the best!  

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 08:27 El Pit

Huge bug fixes coming up:
1. Introduction of autobanning of players who find bugs
2. Huge NGE update later this year
3. Going pseudo f2p (but pay 2 win) in 2013

kthxbyebye

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 07:44 Dades

Teddy wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 07:39:
As opposed to the masses of "Must hate on this game I've never played" that fill the threads around here?

Everyone with a negative comment must be a hater who has never played the game obviously. I guess everyone with a positive comment is a fanboy or a paid PR rep too.

I see plenty of people who have praise and complaints about this game who have obviously played it and I like reading both the positive and negative comments. It gives me perspective on features and bugs when I'm considering whether to purchase a game or not.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 07:52.

16. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 07:39 Teddy

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 07:21:
I'm glad to hear they're fixing the bugs. There's plenty but the game is still a great MMO to play. Is it okay to post non-complaints on bluesnews?

In your case it seems to be only flowery fanboy defense for this game. Must offset all negative comments about game because I enjoy it!

15. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 07:21 Dades

14. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 07:09 Fibrocyte

yuastnav wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 06:47:
[...] I'm playing the game and I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite having very low expectations thanks to EA's involvement. [...]

Uh, that is not correct. You are having fun because you had low expectations, not despite having low expectations.
You see - you had low expectations i.e. you did not expect very much from this game and the game offered more than you expected and that is why you are having fun.
If you had high expectations than the game would have under-delivered and you would not be having fun.

What an asinine twist you put on his positive comment.

13. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 06:58 Acleacius

Sepharo wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 00:19:
He did say it was typical. It's the plain and clear explanation that's commendable. Hotfixes are rare, patches will be nearly weekly.
Fair enough.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 06:47 yuastnav

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo