Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Childs Play Raises $3.5M

The Child's Play Website recaps the "incredible year" for the charity:

Since the founding of Child’s Play in 2003, each year has exceeded our expectations in a big way. Thanks to the support of the community, we’ve grown from sending a truck full of toys to Seattle Children’s Hospital to benefiting a network of over 80 hospitals worldwide. 2011 brought some incredible milestones, including breaking the $10 million mark in lifetime contributions, founding our Annual Child’s Play Golf Tournament, rolling out a full website overhaul and seeing the community activism explode via hundreds of events put on by the community. The generosity of gamers has yet again been overwhelming, and our total for 2011 is a number we both amazed and humbled by:

$3,512,345.

Let that sink in for a second. Over three and a half million dollars going to hospitals worldwide to ease the suffering of kids when they need it most. All because you, as a community, came together to make a difference. And what a difference it is.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 5, 2012, 20:07 Dev

WarpCrow wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 02:10:
I think along the same lines, somewhat. I don't like band-aid charities.
Fortunately there are plenty of good charities out there that do all sorts of work, including helping starving in other countries. So far at least, I live in a free country and people are free to pick and donate to whoever they wish (including no one at all if they choose).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 5, 2012, 02:22 PHJF

Just find it absurd to see that much money go to luxury items, while people still starve on this planet. Absurd indeed.

Not Ammmeerrriiiccaaannnsss.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 5, 2012, 02:10 WarpCrow

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 01:16:
Yeah... maybe i just got too cynical lately. If i had 50$ to donate i'd not donate it to childs-play, but rather the UN wfp. Preventing children from dying from starvation ranks higher on my moral-to-do list than buying sick children video games and wow subscriptions.

Just find it absurd to see that much money go to luxury items, while people still starve on this planet. Absurd indeed.

I think along the same lines, somewhat. I don't like band-aid charities. It's great for sick and dying kids to have a little happiness added to their days, but I'd rather more resources go towards looking for cures and treatments for the diseases they suffer from. Better for future children not to needlessly suffer than for the ones suffering now to have a few more toys.

10. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 5, 2012, 01:16 eRe4s3r

Yeah... maybe i just got too cynical lately. If i had 50$ to donate i'd not donate it to childs-play, but rather the UN wfp. Preventing children from dying from starvation ranks higher on my moral-to-do list than buying sick children video games and wow subscriptions.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 01:22.

9. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 5, 2012, 00:02 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 21:04:
If only they had more locations outside the US than inside. Because if theres one nation that needs charity, its the US.. meh.

It started off in Seattle, their hometown, and then expanded each year. It's amazing that they have any let alone the many international hospitals.

8. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 23:37 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 22:55:
I don't believe in most charities as the organizations use far too much of those donations for "operational expenses" and/or what the charity is shooting for is impractical - even if it is well-intentioned.
I agree, which is why its a good idea to check out charity navigator, which covers things like the % used for overhead:
http://www.charitynavigator.org
Examples:
Red cross takes about 11 cents to raise a dollar.
Michael J Fox's Parkinson's only takes about 7 cents to raise a dollar

Child's play is about 84% efficient:
http://www.sos.wa.gov/charities/search_detail.aspx?charity_id=22315

Here's the 10 worst offenders (some spend 90 cents to raise a dollar)
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten.detail&listid=10

Since non-profits have public finances and often get audited, its possible to check this stuff out, and charity navigator makes it very easy.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2012, 23:50.

7. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 22:55 Cutter

I don't believe in most charities as the organizations use far too much of those donations for "operational expenses" and/or what the charity is shooting for is impractical - even if it is well-intentioned. I'd also like to see the shift to stocks for charities. It makes much more economic sense. Anyway, the charities for sick kids always get to me though. Gotta' make things as easy and good for those wee'uns as humanly possible.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 22:46 PHJF

I would never have discovered the awesomeness of Illusion of Gaia were it not for a month-long stint in a hospital bed and a TV/SNES pushcart.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 22:02 Creston

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 21:39:
If only they had more locations outside the US than inside. Because if theres one nation that needs charity, its the US.. meh.
No one is stopping you from making your own non-profit and doing that kinda thing primarily outside the country.

No, it's far easier to bitch at other charities for not being available where you want them to be.

Kudos to Gabe and Tycho and everyone who donated.

Creston

4. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 21:49 PropheT

Kids get sick here, too. Really not sure what you're aiming at with that statement.

3. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 21:39 Dev

No one is stopping you from making your own non-profit and doing that kinda thing primarily outside the country.

2. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 21:04 eRe4s3r

1. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 4, 2012, 20:51 Sepharo

Child's Play and PAX are the most awesome manifestations of the gamer community and culture. I wish PA and Khoo would start an award show with separate industry and fan awards. I think with PAX Dev and the Child's Play charity dinner auction they've already got some of the necessary experience.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo