Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church

This press release (in Swedish) announces the Missionary Church of Kopimism is now officially recognized in Sweden, the first country to sanction the religion. Kopimism holds file-sharing as one of its central principles, and the announcement refers to the involvement of Gustav Nipe, who is also affiliated with Sweden's Pirate Party. Here's word from the translation: "Information is sacred to the missionary Kopimistsamfundet, and copy the sacrament. Information has value, both in itself and in its content, and this value increases by copying. Thus, copying the heart of everything in the community." Thanks Ant via Digg.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 6, 2012, 00:20 Dev

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 03:07:
Tons of people like the crap novels based on Dungeons and Dragons and World of Warcraft, too. But I guess in the land of the barely literate, people reading anything is good.
I don't like any of that crap, and I'm not exactly barely literate. Reading is my favorite pastime, and I often go through a novel a day.
For instance:
InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 03:38:
RObert A. Heinlein for the win! If you want controversial Sci-Fi ideas that dabble a bit in philosophy/religion/politics AND actually make some sense look no further.

Ron Hubbard really is a hack in comparison.
Been there, done that. Read most of his Heinlein's books.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 5, 2012, 08:26 InBlack

Im not sure I understand that last comment yuastnav. If you mean that he writes from a western society outlook, then yes that is true.

But some of his political creations are hardly democratic or even western in their function, and no Im obviously not talking about Starship Troopers.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 5, 2012, 06:36 yuastnav

What a shame that Heinlein only concerns himself with Western democracies.  

22. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 5, 2012, 03:38 InBlack

RObert A. Heinlein for the win! If you want controversial Sci-Fi ideas that dabble a bit in philosophy/religion/politics AND actually make some sense look no further.

Ron Hubbard really is a hack in comparison.

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 5, 2012, 03:07 Agent.X7

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 23:58:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 19:15:
You clearly haven't read any of Hubbard's science fiction (using the term VERY loosely) books...

Once a hack, always a hack.
Actually, I found Battlefield Earth to be a great sci-fi read. The movie was horrendous but the book was enjoyable. Not a word in the book about scientology.

Hard core scientologists can be scary, I suggest googling info on some of the whack stuff they do.

It's pretty good if you like Mary-Sue fantasies and atrocious writing. Tons of people like the crap novels based on Dungeons and Dragons and World of Warcraft, too. But I guess in the land of the barely literate, people reading anything is good.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 5, 2012, 00:10 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 23:58:
You clearly haven't read any of Hubbard's science fiction (using the term VERY loosely) books...

Actually, I found Battlefield Earth to be a great sci-fi read. The movie was horrendous but the book was enjoyable. Not a word in the book about scientology.

Hard core scientologists can be scary, I suggest googling info on some of the whack stuff they do.

It's Mitt Romney's favorite not-the-Bible book.

19. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 23:58 Dev

18. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 20:50 ASeven

The best part is that this "religion" was created as a way to shine light on how draconian and ridiculous copyright laws are becoming (SOPA/PIPA and the like).  

17. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 20:15 Prez

Freedom of religion should now shield these "worshippers" from legal action since it's their religion. No one wants to be accused of "religious persecution". BRILLIANT!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Sunday Times 5 October 1969 Jan 4, 2012, 20:02 space captain

In 1946 Aleister Crowley, the sorcerer and mystic whose dabblings in black magic earned him the title "The Wickedest Man in the World", found a new disciple and welcomed him to one of his occult communities in California. The extraordinary activities of this new and enthusiastic disciple are described in a vast collection of papers owned by a former admirer of Crowley which we have examined. The man in question is Lafayette Ron Hubbard , head of the now notorious Church of Scientology."

John Whiteside Parsons, a brilliant rocket fuel scientist, joined the American branch of Crowley's cult in 1939. He struck up earnest correspondence with "The Beast 666," as Crowley was known by his followers, and soon became his outstanding protege in the United States. By January, 1946, Parsons was impatient to break new frontiers in the occult world. He decided to take the spirit of Babalon, the "whore of Babylon," and invest it in a human being.

But to carry out this intricate mission Parsons needed a female sexual partner to create his child in the astral (spiritual) world. If this part of the fixture went successfully Parsons would be able to call down the spiritual baby and direct it to a human womb. When born, this child would incarnate the forces of Babalon. During his magical preparations for this incarnation Parsons found himself overwhelmed with assistance from a young novitiate named Ron Hubbard.

Parsons write to Crowley at the beginning of 1946. "He (Hubbard) is a gentleman, red hair, green eyes, honest and intelligent and we have become great friends. Although he has no formal training in magic he has an extraordinary amount of experience and understanding in the field. Ron appears to have some sort of highly developed astral vision. He describes his angel as a beautiful winged woman with red hair whom he calls the Empress and who has guided him through his life and saved him many times." He concluded almost ecstatically, "He is in complete accord with our own principles. I have found a staunch companion and comrade in Ron."

But within two months the bonds of friendship were under some strain: Ron claimed Parsons girlfriend, Betty. With admirable restraint Parsons wrote to Crowley, "She has transferred her sexual affection to Ron. I cared for her rather deeply but I have no desire to control her emotions."

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 19:39 Quboid

Quboid wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 16:38:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 16:06:
Quboid wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 14:02:
This is clearly made up bullshit, transparently invented for nothing more than political convenience and control.

Or as Blue succinctly put it, a "religion".

If a hack writer and petty criminal can come up with his own religion, why not file sharers? Perhaps Mr. Cruise will switch faiths?

I believe* Scientology, purely because there's no way a science fiction author would make up something that awful.

* I don't.

Not a word. Not even a single word.

Anyway, all hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his Noddley Appendage!

- Quboid

14. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 19:17 Acleacius

More info if your don't mind Rawstory.
Group claims piracy now a religion in Sweden

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 19:15 Stormsinger

This is clearly made up bullshit, transparently invented for nothing more than political convenience and control.

If a hack writer and petty criminal can come up with his own religion, why not file sharers? Perhaps Mr. Cruise will switch faiths?

I believe* Scientology, purely because there's no way a science fiction author would make up something that awful.

* I don't.

12. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 19:11 space captain

spelled it wrong you fucking dumbshit  
Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 19:10 Cyant

The continuum transfunctioner is a very mysterious and powerful device and it's mystery is exceeded only by it's power.

Zoltan!

10. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 18:54 Cutter

Worship whatever you please, for you all are doomed when mighty Cthulu makes his return this year! Cthulu loves you...on a bun...with catsup.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 16:56 ASeven

* I don't.

Hail Xenu!

8. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 16:38 Quboid

* I don't.

- Quboid

7. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 16:06 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 15:46 J

MrBone wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:31:
If these guys want someone to worship, let it be me. No one has espoused the dogma of their religion like myself.

So you aspire to be the God of Xerox? ... The Spam Lord? ... George Lucas?

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo