Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Flight for Free in Spring

The Microsoft Flight Website now offers more details on Microsoft Flight, Microsoft Games Studio's upcoming replacement for MS Flight Simulator. Word is the game, currently in beta, will be released for Windows PC this spring, and will be a free release, supported by sales of new aircraft, regions, and customization options: "In addition, players who sign in to their Games for Windows – LIVE account automatically receive additional free content, including the legendary Boeing Stearman plane, supplementary missions, and access to Achievements and an Online Pilot Profile. Those looking to deepen their experience can purchase and download additional content that adds new aircraft, regions and customization options. The frequently released new content for Microsoft Flight includes daily aerocache challenges and updates that make every flight unique and fun." Here's more:

Today, Microsoft Studios premiered Microsoft Flight, a PC game that lets players jump into the challenge, fun, and freedom of flight. Microsoft Flight will be available as a free download this spring, giving players the freedom to fly the skies over the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii, complete a variety of exciting missions, test their skills in flying challenges, or find hidden aerocaches on the island.

In Microsoft Flight, players view the world from above in a visually stunning and realistic representation of the earth, complete with region-specific weather patterns, foliage, terrain and landmarks. Players can choose to take the helm using highly rendered, accurate cockpits and authentic piloting procedures, or simply use their mouse and keyboard to control the plane in an exterior view. More experienced players can tailor the flight controls to match their skill level, making Microsoft Flight easy for beginners while still challenging for the most accomplished PC pilots.

“Many people dream of flying, but few have the chance to experience the fun of exploring the world from above. Microsoft Flight provides players the opportunity to explore that curiosity and interest,” said Joshua Howard, executive producer of Microsoft Flight. “Aviation can be incredibly technical, but we’ve taken great care to build an experience that makes taking to the skies thrilling and accessible for everyone.”

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 5, 2012, 03:49 Jerykk

The graphics don't look like they've been updated much since the last game came out 6 years ago.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 22:46 Quboid

I just got a beta invite! I applied when Blue posted a few weeks back. Yay  

- Quboid

26. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 21:32 Dev

Huzsar wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 13:32:
Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 10:13:
F2P is probably a good move for this franchise, so that it can get more of an audience. The audience for MS flight sim was never very large.

Actually I remember MS Flight Sim audience being quite large. I don't know if Microsoft ever announced how much of the Flight Sim X they sold but if I remember correctly they claimed the FS2000 version sold around 10 million.
Pretty sure thats not the case, if flight sim X only sold 1 million:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

A million isn't anything to sneeze at though.

25. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 19:25 Umbragen

Not even if they paid me.  

24. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 18:27 Shok

WyldKat wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:25:
MS Flightsim never really held my interest because well... you pretty much just fly around. I guess I'm more into combat flight sims. However that said, had they added a business tycoon model where you could own your own tourism business, cargo business, or w/e in a dynamic world I think it would have held my interest more.

This reminded me of Solo Flight for the Commodore 64 back in 1983! Not that it was dynamic or anything but Sid Meier's little gem of a flight sim where you made mail runs to easy places to land (Kansas) as well as hard places (Colorado). I seem to remember bonuses for delivering mail faster, etc. It was simple by today's standards but I loved the gameplay.

23. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 15:25 WyldKat

Sounds like they're trying to shut down the third-party scene that made lots of extremely high quality (paid mind you) content for their other sims.

MS Flightsim never really held my interest because well... you pretty much just fly around. I guess I'm more into combat flight sims. However that said, had they added a business tycoon model where you could own your own tourism business, cargo business, or w/e in a dynamic world I think it would have held my interest more.

22. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 15:21 Sir Graves

Have to wait and see, obviously, but I gotta say that it doesn't really look all that great to me in the latest teaser video on their site. The graphics almost look like an older, outdated version. I'm definitely expecting greater graphics fidelity in this next iteration, and will be sorely disappointed if it gets watered down due to the new F2P model. Still gonna stay hopeful despite being kind of worried about this latest announcement.  

21. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 15:20 Wildone

I was never convinced of FSX flight model, it feels too easy to handle, unless the real planes are that way lol  

20. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 15:06 StaTik

This sounds super on paper but this is MS. They will find a way to jack this up so much that no one will want to deal with the BS to play the sim. Wonder if there new "sim" will model a proper stall or spin this time out? Stall spin in FSX and you get an aircraft that bounces all over like a super ball in the space station.  

19. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 14:25 Bumpy

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 14:07:
There's a huge industry around providing add-ons for previous versions of Flight Sim but with MS going the free-2-play route I wonder if they'll allow anything except their "paid" content.

MS plans to stop 3rd party planes or mod texture packs how?
Going to force online at all times or encrypted 3D models an textures or something?

18. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 14:14 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 14:07:
There's a huge industry around providing add-ons for previous versions of Flight Sim but with MS going the free-2-play route I wonder if they'll allow anything except their "paid" content.

Microsoft has a strict no free content policy, it's one of things that devs continually grumble about when dealing with the entertainment division. There is no way they'll allow official modding in a F2P game, they will monetize the shit out of extra content.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 14:07 DangerDog

16. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 13:40 Quboid

I see nothing here to suggest it's anything other than another Flight Simulator sequel. FSX had support for the 360 controller and it was an authentic simulator, this just meant that if you used the 360 controller then you'd have to forgo realism options, along with your dignity. Is there any actual reason for the pessimism?

The F2P model is interesting. The number of FS2004 and FSX mods is staggering but I can't imagine MSF being as open as being able to download aircraft and topology undermines their business model. There's typically only 2 or 3 models of aircraft that I fly so this should save me some money, but the locked regions will suck. Still, Hawaii is my favourite place to fly so even just Big Island will be enough for me to try it out happily.

GFWL is a horrible thing. The reason I can tolerate Steam is that I can ignore it. It sits in my system tray and unless I want to look at it, it fucks off. GFWL seems to push overlays on me every time I load up a game and then crap out when trying to log in.

- Quboid

15. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 13:32 Huzsar

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 10:13:
F2P is probably a good move for this franchise, so that it can get more of an audience. The audience for MS flight sim was never very large.

Actually I remember MS Flight Sim audience being quite large. I don't know if Microsoft ever announced how much of the Flight Sim X they sold but if I remember correctly they claimed the FS2000 version sold around 10 million.

14. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 13:04 Techie714 ©

nin wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 11:53:
acquiring a joystick adapter ISA card and a CH joystick - that funky one with the two orange buttons.

edit: Fuck I miss F-19 Stealth Fighter.

Man I LOVED F-19 Stealth Fighter! I played that game like crazy! I even remember waking up early in the morning & just spending hours reading about all the bombs in the huge manual...lol.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 13:01 Dmitri_M

MS is going the way of Rise of Flight. A very good, polished sim that's often overlooked.  

12. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 12:20 Cutter

Ugh, why don't they have a complete retail option as well? Oh right, so that you end up paying 10 times as much for the same content. F2P doesn't work in that case. And yeah, is this going to be a real flight sim or just an arcade game? Nice jorb, MS!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 12:19 Wildone

A10 is insane! I love everything DCS does my only problem is these sims are still a little 'dry' and I guess I've changed over the years on how I feel about sims, I'll always love them. I still wish they can make the missions more dynamic and more lively, making you feel part of something?
When I played Arma2 (and I know its not much of a 'sim') and took the role of A10 pilot helping out live fellow squad mates on the ground, it was so DAMN EXCITING when they call for me to take out an APC or tank knowing they are under fire and need my help. Maybe because its a live multiplayer game? But its hard to get that feeling from a standalone sim. So I wish there's a way to bring those 2 factors together.

10. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 12:04 Shok

I bought A-10c over the break and it's insane how much is modeled in that sim. I have no chance of learning how to operate it with my ancient MS sidewinder joystick. I would love to buy the $400 thrustmaster warthog joystick/throttle but then I would need rudder pedals, another monitor, a new chair, etc. etc. etc.

Now I think I should have just reinstalled bf1942 and flown around some with my sidewinder in there

9. Re: MS Flight for Free in Spring Jan 4, 2012, 11:53 nin

acquiring a joystick adapter ISA card and a CH joystick - that funky one with the two orange buttons.

This one? I had one of those.

Remember having to center your joystick, and sometimes having to use the scroll wheels on each axis? And heaven forbid you bump one of those while you were playing, as you were fucked.

edit: Fuck I miss F-19 Stealth Fighter.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo