Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Play 16-Bit Carts on Your PC?

Retrode is accepting preorders for a USB adaptor to allow vintage 16-bit Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Nintendo SNES/SFC games on a PC. The hardware includes ports for controllers from each system, and optimistically promises "Driverless operation on any USB host, under any OS, using any emulator." MCV notes that the legality of such a device is not entirely clear, though the fact that this still requires an emulator may work in its favor (I am not a lawyer).

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Play 16-Bit Carts on Your PC? Jan 4, 2012, 18:07 CommunistHamster

Neat idea. ROMs are so available and easy though, it's not really useful for anyone but purists and museum-keepers.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Play 16-Bit Carts on Your PC? Jan 4, 2012, 11:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, this thing is fucking awesome. Definitely buying one, and definitely now in the market for a NES version.

Aka what kind of ROM purist makes a SNES USB plug in device first !?!

3. Re: Play 16-Bit Carts on Your PC? Jan 4, 2012, 10:22 Dev

More info on this store site for pre-order, including video of the operation:
http://stoneagegamer.com/retrode.aspx

Looks like its $85. A bit steep, but if someone has a decent collection of played carts (not a collection of boxes in shrink to just look at) and controllers they want to use, then I'm sure it will be worth it.

2. Re: Play 16-Bit Carts on Your PC? Jan 4, 2012, 10:20 nin

Reminds me of a device I saw years ago that was a cassette adapter that mounted on one of the front panels of your PC.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Play 16-Bit Carts on Your PC? Jan 4, 2012, 10:16 Dev

In the past, I've purchased a USB to SNES controller adapter so I could play SNES games on an emulator with the original controller from my SNES. Things like that use the HID driver built into windows so they don't need a installable driver. So the controller part would easily work like that. The question is, how would the other part? The easiest way I can think of off hand would be to have some sorta video output to plug into a monitor.

Alternatively, maybe they will make it like a disk drive so emulator can read the cart directly (although I don't know how many emulators can even do this, so that would kinda make the promise of "any OS any emulator" kinda not the case).

Edit:
After I RTFA, looks like the drive theory is the correct one.

Play! Load ROM into the emulator, configure the controllers, and you’ll be playing in no time.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo