Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Soars

Over the holidays Valve's Steam service hit a new milestone of five million concurrent users, reports GamesRadar, noting that even after the post-holiday falloff, Steam is still peaking at 4.7 million concurrent users every day.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Steam Soars Jan 5, 2012, 10:51 Ant

Verno wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 09:19:
That free time never really materializes is the problem
Yeah, that is always a problem for me. I miss my old days! Can you believe I did not play a single computer game during my eleven Christmas 2011 break?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steam Soars Jan 5, 2012, 09:19 Verno

That free time never really materializes is the problem  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

30. Re: Steam Soars Jan 5, 2012, 08:50 Ant

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 19:48:
I am only buying PC games, I actually don't have any time to play them.
I ended up buying a bunch of games I really didn't need during the Steam sale then I said okay that is it for a while. Then today GreenManGaming put Warhammer Space Marine on sale for $12 !!!

NoooooOOOOOooooooooo !!!!!! Please hide my credit card !!!!
Why not just buy them later when you have free time? They will be cheap or almost free by then.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: Steam Soars Jan 5, 2012, 00:45 Bucky

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 20:16:
PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 19:53:
Where have you heard that GW2 is coming soon?

They started closed beta a few weeks back so sometime in the next 3-6 months is a good bet.

So I only have 3-6 months left to live, then.

Guild Wars is the only game that ever held me for years, and GW2 looks so much better...

28. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 20:16 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 19:53:

They started closed beta a few weeks back so sometime in the next 3-6 months is a good bet.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 19:53 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 19:48 SpectralMeat

I am only buying PC games, I actually don't have any time to play them.
I ended up buying a bunch of games I really didn't need during the Steam sale then I said okay that is it for a while. Then today GreenManGaming put Warhammer Space Marine on sale for $12 !!!

NoooooOOOOOooooooooo !!!!!! Please hide my credit card !!!!

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 19:37 KezClone

Prez wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 19:20:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 17:12:
GOD, I have such a Steam hangover. My wife is gonna kill me when she sees how many games I bought. Argue

On the other hand, I can probably go a whole year without buying a new game...

I said the same thing. Then on January 2nd they announce King Arthur 2 is coming soon.

NOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!! Crying

Same for me, except it's Guild Wars 2.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!

24. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 19:20 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 17:12:
GOD, I have such a Steam hangover. My wife is gonna kill me when she sees how many games I bought. Argue

I said the same thing. Then on January 2nd they announce King Arthur 2 is coming soon.

NOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!! Crying

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 18:55 Cutter

Watch Skyrim Bear in the OOTB if you haven't already. I laughed my ass off!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 18:37 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 14:29:
Fair points. The actual dungeon diving in Skyrim is certainly worlds better but the quality of the themed quests in Oblivion was excellent. Shivering Isles had some really cool stuff as well. Most of peoples complaints about Oblivion are spot on and Skyrim is a massive improvement in most areas. I just think that they got rushed on quest design and it shows, they're inconsistent and many were over far too quickly.

Yeah. Skyrim's Thieves Guild quest line is pretty good, but the other three are just short and kinda shitty. Nothing compared to the awesomeness of those selfsame quest lines in Oblivion.

Still... 220 hours into Skyrim, and not bored yet.

Creston

21. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 18:35 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 12:06:
J wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 12:03:
So what does Daggerfall fail to hold a candle to? The suspense is killing me here!

The Ultimas and their boot disc fiasco? I remember many an origin game requiring you to stand on your head to fee up enough memory to run.

No, because U7 came with that EMM thingamajig which actually made your PC realize "Hey, I got more than 640K of memory to work with!"

That Gold Box D&D game set on Athas (Dark Sun) was the worst. It required like 608K of free memory. It was ridiculous.

Creston

20. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 17:36 Halo

Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 16:24:
J wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:36:
So what does Daggerfall fail to hold a candle to? The suspense is killing me here!

Pong

Pong doesn't hold a candle to running around the woods with sticks whilst making gunfire sounds.

Yea those buggy guns never fired a damned thing.

suky grphx, stupid AI, and the physics were awful I mean the fall damage could kill your character in a second.

19. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 17:12 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 16:24 Krovven

J wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:49:

Pong

Pong doesn't hold a candle to running around the woods with sticks whilst making gunfire sounds.

Yea those buggy guns never fired a damned thing.

17. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 15:49 J

Pong

16. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 15:36 xXBatmanXx

Pong

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

15. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 14:29 Verno

Fion wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 13:48:
Skyrim may be considered a little dumbed down from Oblivion, but most of those things that gave Oblivion a hint of complexity where really idiotic ideas in the first place. The chat 'wheel' to improve standing? Who's idiotic idea was that?

So yea, Skyrim may have been dumbed down a bit, but it is still 10x the game Oblivion was. As much time as I spent in that game I spent every second going 'WHY IS THIS GAME SO FUCKIN GENERIC?!?!'. Mods helped but nothing could take away the fact that 95% of that game was the same content over and over again set in the most boring fantasy world I've ever seen.

Fair points. The actual dungeon diving in Skyrim is certainly worlds better but the quality of the themed quests in Oblivion was excellent. Shivering Isles had some really cool stuff as well. Most of peoples complaints about Oblivion are spot on and Skyrim is a massive improvement in most areas. I just think that they got rushed on quest design and it shows, they're inconsistent and many were over far too quickly.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

14. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 14:22 LittleMe

Fion wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 13:48:
Skyrim may be considered a little dumbed down from Oblivion, but most of those things that gave Oblivion a hint of complexity where really idiotic ideas in the first place. The chat 'wheel' to improve standing? Who's idiotic idea was that?

So yea, Skyrim may have been dumbed down a bit, but it is still 10x the game Oblivion was. As much time as I spent in that game I spent every second going 'WHY IS THIS GAME SO FUCKIN GENERIC?!?!'. Mods helped but nothing could take away the fact that 95% of that game was the same content over and over again set in the most boring fantasy world I've ever seen.

Agreed. Skyrim is great. My biggest complaint with Skyrim is that the quests should be more about obtaining skills and tieing that into the story. As it is, the game just hands skills to us freely from constellations and that doesn't give me much of a sense of accomplishment.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

13. Re: Steam Soars Jan 4, 2012, 13:48 Fion

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo