Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

After suffering for a while with flaky behavior from my computer I assumed was a driver issue or some other bug, I came to the realization today that my mouse was in the process of dying. I sheepishly admit that this should have been the first conclusion I drew when I started experiencing oddities when dragging and dropping items and highlighting text, as I should have immediately focused on the element in the equation with moving parts. That, of course, was the desk rodent, but it was only when it started registering single-clicks as double-clicks did it sink in (ah, you thought I was going to say click, didn't you?) that it was the mouse itself acting up. I dug up a semi-generic mouse to use as a stop-gap before I find a long-term replacement, at least something that fits my hand better.

Mousey Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Nitro Ski.
Keg Delivery.
Links: Ye Olde Mario World. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Science: NASA on 2012: It's really NOT the end of the world as we know it.
Begone, Foul Beast!
Media: Skyrim - Bear.
John Barrowman Sings Spider-Man of the Day.
Bulldog Found A Stick.
The Funnies: Transformer Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Skyrim - Bear Jan 5, 2012, 10:06 ^Drag0n^

I never laughed so hard since Chevy Chace killed the invisible swordsman.

Top shelf humor. Loved it.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2012, 08:37 Ant

nin wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 11:46:
Remove the little plastic cover from the bottom of the mouse, take out the ball and clean those rollers. Gunk gets built up on them over time and can affect the tracking ability of the mouse.

Yeah Blue, clean your balls a little. Geeze.

People still use balls in mice?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 20:12 Sepharo

I've mentioned it a few times over the years but I have a stockpile of Logitech MX310s. Love the symmetrical shape and relative simplicity and have never had any performance/accuracy issues. I also never install any mouse software, just use whatever plugnplay stuff Windows does.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 18:22 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 17:53:
The one Razer mouse I owned broke after less than a year. I think I'll stick with Logitech (G15 is 5+ years old, G5 is going on three or four).

Razer Diamondback. Have 3. One for each puter. Love em.

Simple, not a lot of buttons, light, very responsive.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 17:53 PHJF

The one Razer mouse I owned broke after less than a year. I think I'll stick with Logitech (G15 is 5+ years old, G5 is going on three or four).  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 17:39 jdreyer

The top buttons on my Logitech IR mouse I used for work finally died last month. I couldn't click and drag any longer either. But not bad for 7 years of almost daily use. The rubber coating had completely disintegrated and worn away. It looked terrible, but worked fine and I definitely got my money's worth.

My 4 year old Pentax Optio waterproof camera is still going strong after 10,000 photos, including many shots in salt water. For all the times we complain about technology, there are too few times where we sit back and appreciate it when it goes above and beyond the call of duty.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 15:59 Verno

Razer makes a lot of useless, poor quality shit but they DO make fantastic mice. They have something for everyone and you can disable the dumb LED lights they throw on to appeal to the bros. Their software leaves something to be desired but then again so does Logitech, steelseries, etc.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 15:27 Hoop

Shineyguy wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:08:

Bah, you don't want light, you want something with heft!

It's light but still nicely weighted for balance.
They have many flavours now since I got this.

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 15:08 Shineyguy

Hoop wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 15:03:
Love my DeathAdder it's so light, razer gamimg gear ftw.
http://goo.gl/RlkW

Bah, you don't want light, you want something with heft!

I had a G700, and now have a R.A.T.7. I like the R.A.T.7 a lot better, as I can tailor it to fit my large hand with long fingers. The G700 was comfortable, but the reach for some of those 4 thumb buttons was awkward and painful.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 15:03 Hoop

Love my DeathAdder it's so light, razer gaming gear ftw.
http://goo.gl/RlkW

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2012, 15:25.

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 14:40  Blue 

kanniballl wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 14:24:
Honestly, going from mouse-balls to optical-mice was probably the greatest quality-of-life upgrade to my PCs, after going from command-line to GUI interfaces.

I hated constantly cleaning that flippin' thing out.

I dunno, it wasn't so hard to do, and I sort of enjoyed the ritual aspect of keeping my equipment in tip-top shape for gaming.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 14:24 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 12:29:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 11:33:
Remove the little plastic cover from the bottom of the mouse, take out the ball and clean those rollers. Gunk gets built up on them over time and can affect the tracking ability of the mouse.

Haha, indeed, life was so simple once.

Honestly, going from mouse-balls to optical-mice was probably the greatest quality-of-life upgrade to my PCs, after going from command-line to GUI interfaces.

I hated constantly cleaning that flippin' thing out.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 12:29  Blue 

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 11:33:

Haha, indeed, life was so simple once.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 12:16 Cutter

Skyrim - Bear = effing LOL!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 11:57 Mr. Tact

I use a Microsoft Wireless mouse I fell in love with. A while ago I realized they weren't making it anymore, so I went out and bought several of them. This was despite the fact the first one I bought was still in use after 4 or more years of use. So, I'm set on PC mice for a couple of decades now.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 11:46 nin

Yeah Blue, clean your balls a little. Geeze.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 11:33 DangerDog

After years and years of using the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1, with it's symmetrical design and large side buttons I finally made the switch to a "laser" mouse with the Stealseries Sensei. It has a very similar shape and four side buttons instead of two.

Previous attempts have always had me plugging in my Intillimouse after a short while due to having what I consider poor design decisions or horrible driver support (or both). The side buttons on the Sensei aren't huge but after using it awhile I haven't had any miss-clicks while gaming. I could never adapt to Logitech and their tiny, tiny thumb buttons.

I gave the razer lachesis 5600dpi a try and had a horrible experience with drivers crashing and the mouse going completely dead on me, requiring the mouse to be unplugged from the USB port and plugged back in again - seems to be a known issue with no solution from razer. Even though it had a symmetrical design the side buttons were only useable with the thumb, reaching the "pinkie" side buttons was an act of futility because of how the mouse is designed. There's also a sharp edge of the plastic where the top of the mouse meets up with the bottom cutting into your "pinkie" finger when you try to click the side buttons. Thankfully purchased it from Amazon so I was able to take advantage of their no questions asked return policy.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 10:40 Enahs

Do not get a new mouse Blue! Let me come over, drill some holes in your head and hook up some wires! I got this awesome idea on how to control a computer with mental power only! I tried it with a rabbit already, but he died. I think it was just from lack of brain power though! I suspect you should have marginally more brain power then a rabbit and will be just fine!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo