Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year

A post to the SQUARE ENIX Members Website has word that Crystal Dynamics will unveil its upcoming new IP sometime this year. They say: "2012 will prove to be a very exciting year for Crystal Dynamics, more so than any in recent memory. Not only will our team be eating, sleeping, and breathing Tomb Raider, but we’ll also be hard at work preparing to reveal exciting new intellectual property to the world." Thanks VG247.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year Jan 4, 2012, 08:10 theyarecomingforyou

Sho wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 04:19:
Anyway, they can certainly still screw it up, but based on the four Lara games they did so far, which were all very fun and faithful to the franchise and its gameplay, I kind of trust CD to do right by me as a TR customer. Cautiously optimistic wait-and-see mode here.
Same. They have a proven track record, which is more than can be said for a lot of the industry. And they're making some pretty big changes - both to the gameplay and the engine - which was necessary, as otherwise it will just get stale. I don't like QTEs but the rest of the game is usually good enough for me to not worry about them.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year Jan 4, 2012, 04:19 Sho

The game is actually supposed to have a decent level of open world roaming, or at least a hub/mission structure and free roaming between hubs. I believe the QTE-heavy stuff in the demo is just because it's the first 20m of the game and they want a guided cinematic experience to establish the mood and serve as tutorial.

Anyway, they can certainly still screw it up, but based on the four Lara games they did so far, which were all very fun and faithful to the franchise and its gameplay, I kind of trust CD to do right by me as a TR customer. Cautiously optimistic wait-and-see mode here.

4. Re: Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year Jan 4, 2012, 02:52 Jerykk

I liked Tomb Raider, hated everything else made, until Legend/Underworld/Anniversary came out, those were actually playable, and more akin to what Uncharted is (Though Uncharted is vastly superior)

Totally disagreed. Tomb Raider and Uncharted are very different games. Tomb Raider is primarily about exploration, platforming and puzzle-solving. Uncharted is primarily a cover-based shooter. Yes, it has light platforming and puzzle-solving elements but those aren't really the focus. The TR games do both of those things far better.

As for the new TR game, I wasn't very impressed. It looked completely linear and completely scripted, with a heavy emphasis on QTEs and dumbed down puzzle and platforming elements. Also, Lara's incessant moaning and screaming quickly got annoying. I'm hoping that demo was not representative of the full game.

3. Re: Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year Jan 4, 2012, 01:55 Trevellian

Tehol wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 01:29:
aren't they making new tomb raider games?

Yes and their new Tomb Raider games were vastly better than the originals. I liked Tomb Raider, hated everything else made, until Legend/Underworld/Anniversary came out, those were actually playable, and more akin to what Uncharted is (Though Uncharted is vastly superior)

I'm anxiously awaiting their reboot of Tomb Raider as the videos they showed last year at E3 looked really good, and I liked their remodeled younger Lara.

Though I agree, revisiting the Legacy of Kain in anyway, Soul Reaver or otherwise, would be great.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

2. Re: Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year Jan 4, 2012, 01:29 Tehol

aren't they making new tomb raider games?

1. Re: Crystal Dynamics IP Reveal This Year Jan 3, 2012, 23:00 Cram

Kinda wish they'd revisit Soul Reaver somehow.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo