Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit?

Duck and Cover reports a settlement in the ongoing legal dispute between Bethesda Softworks and Interplay over Interplay's rights to make a Fallout MMORPG after selling the rights to the RPG series to Bethesda. This comes by way of an observer at the court proceedings, and while they have no word on the actual outcome, they say details on the settlement are expected at some point this month.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 20:19 Lorcin

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 20:03:

Agree.

And when Bethesda makes games bigger than some states in the Union, well, who really shives a goat about it being MMO?

Seriously, WoW aside, MMO's have about the lifetime of a swamp gnat.

^D^

I care! There isn't a proper post apocalyptic mmo out there worth playing. There's been attempts Neocron was good in it's day but didn't age well, Anarchy Online was always a reskinned Everquest clone and the sci-fi elements always felt tagged on - especially once the Shadowlands expansion came out, after that we're talking Fallen Earth, Global Agenda, Hellgate London etc etc

I would love a truly gritty AAA production post-apocalyptic MMO - hell I live in England. It would be nice if the online world made this place look nice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 20:03 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:58:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:52:
It's the only way out. I'm betting they got less than half the original asking price of 50 million, probably 15 to 20 million.
50 million is an insane price for an MMO IP (unless it's WoW). Interplay (aka Caen) was greedy.

Agree.

And when Bethesda makes games bigger than some states in the Union, well, who really shives a goat about it being MMO?

Seriously, WoW aside, MMO's have about the lifetime of a swamp gnat.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

10. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 19:59 ^Drag0n^

I'd go with option (2) for $10,000, Alex.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 17:51 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 17:31:
I just want to see details of the settlement, cause I'm not really sure who to root for in this grudge match.

As best as I can tell, there's two likely possibilities:

1) Zenimax gives Interplay a chunk of cash in exchange for the Fallout MMO rights and backs off of their suits regarding how Interplay was selling legacy Fallout titles.

2) Zenimax gives the Caen brothers a larger chunk of cash and simply take Interplay out from under them.

8. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 17:31 The Half Elf

I just want to see details of the settlement, cause I'm not really sure who to root for in this grudge match.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 13:32 Cutter

I'd imagine it'll be substantially less seeing as the Caens know they'll lose in the end anyway.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 12:55 Acleacius

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:58:
It's the only way out. I'm betting they got less than half the original asking price of 50 million, probably 15 to 20 million.
50 million is an insane price for an MMO IP (unless it's WoW). Interplay (aka Caen) was greedy.
Yes, wasn't my number.
I could easily remember wrong as it's been at least 6 years. Iirc that's what Interplay originally asked for Fallout license, of course then Bethesda balked. Interplay eventually stripped out the mmog rights and finally settled for 6 million or so.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 11:58 Dev

4. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 11:55 Golwar

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:27:
Let's just flush interplay down the toilet and be done with it...it's not like they're really going to do anything.

Wait, didn't you feel entertained by all those stories around Interplay within the last years? Come on, that got to be worth something!

3. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 10:52 Acleacius

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 10:27 wtf_man

Yeah... probably Bethesda paid Interplay off just to get rid of the "Abomination MMO" that they were sub-contracting out.

Heck.. they're swimming in funds from Skyrim, so it was probably a lot easier to just settle.

1. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 10:27 nin

Let's just flush interplay down the toilet and be done with it...it's not like they're really going to do anything.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo