Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Will Wright's HiveMind

Will Wright announces HiveMind, an upcoming game project described like so: "a group of cross-platform, cross-media online applications, is designed to turn a gamer's everyday life into part of the interactive experience by building upon Alternate Reality Games (ARGs) and tapping into streams of personal information on phones, tablets, social networks and computers." Word is some of the underlying technology for this is already in place, but this does not yet have a release date. Here's a bit from the included Q&A:

Q: How would a game experience work?

A: "If we had that much situational awareness about you and at the same time we were building this very high-level map of the world, and I don't just mean where Starbuck's is, but all sorts of things like historical footnotes and people you might want to meet. I started thinking about games that we can build that would allow us to triangulate you in that space and build that deep situational awareness. There will be all types of games, but the key will be focusing the experiences, including multiplayer, within the real world and away from the fictional world that games currently invest in."

Q: What are the personal privacy challenges that exist with creating a game around players' personal data?

A: "That's something that obviously they would opt in for, so it's not like you'd be stealing the info. They would want to play the game. It's the same thing with the ARGs that are out there. We need to get the players on our side. Every time we gather some data about them, we need to reflect it back to an experience that got much better so they understand. Once we get them on board, hopefully they're very forthcoming and they get more involved in terms of how they're feeling and what they're doing. The system can actually be used by them and benefit them with the more accurate data it collects."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 4, 2012, 12:57 Lobster

Never knew Stupid Fun Club was an NSA front.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 20:44 TurdFergasun

in will's mind it sounds like....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098663/

but in reality it will be....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119174/

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2012, 02:19.

16. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 13:37 Cutter

Oh yeah, this sort of thing won't be a target for hackers. Oh no, not at all. And seeing as its EA you know they're going to be datamining the shit out of it and selling it to third-party marketers. Um, no thanks.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: What was that game? Jan 3, 2012, 12:33 Verno

Techie714 wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 12:26:
Do you guys remember that game just before 911 where you would sign up & it would call your phone, fax you clues, etc? They even had fake websites set up to go digging around in for clues. Then right after 911 they shut the whole thing down. This sounds a little like that.

Yeah you're talking about Majestic, it was a pretty cool concept that was a bit before its time. I don't get that read from this, Majestic turned out to be a pretty guided conspiracy game once you got over the the gimmicks.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

14. Re: What was that game? Jan 3, 2012, 12:26 Techie714

Do you guys remember that game just before 911 where you would sign up & it would call your phone, fax you clues, etc? They even had fake websites set up to go digging around in for clues. Then right after 911 they shut the whole thing down. This sounds a little like that.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 12:08 Prez

It's been a LOOONG time since I've been excited about a Will Wright game. SPORE was awful. Just awful (though it might have been okay were it marketed towards 6-year-olds). Like Peter Molyneux, Wright is a washed-up has-been who remains relevant solely for his legacy of long-past greatness in gaming history.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

12. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:56 CommunistHamster

Please will, go back to making games.  

11. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:47 Halo

I liked this game better when it was called FourSquare+Facebook...  

10. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:47 space captain

monetizing! monetizing! monetizing!  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:31 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:28:
I'm sure hes a great design mind and I will always appreciate his past contributions to the industry but this sounds really fucking stupid.

He should go back to what he does best and make SimCity 5, though with the trend of dumbifying games lately I fear SC5 would be more like a console game than a full-blown SC game...

8. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:30 osage no onna

News of the World: The Game?  

7. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:28 Verno

I'm sure hes a great design mind and I will always appreciate his past contributions to the industry but this sounds really fucking stupid.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

6. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:23 MrRadicalEd

You mean we can feed our spore pet from our iphones now?  

5. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:21 Optional nickname

Holy Crap Will, you should have stopped at Spore (I mean stopped before Spore)  

4. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 11:13 shinchan0s

Sounds like crap.  

3. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 10:54 ASeven

Will Wright has only made one truly awesome, memorable game and that is SimCity. Knowing we'll never have SimCity5 makes me a very sad citybuilder indeed.  

2. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 10:53 Acleacius

Yeah, they can't stop thinking about all the mindless people out there, whom have no idea what these companies are doing and profitability of their personal data.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: Will Wright's HiveMind Jan 3, 2012, 10:35 nin

tapping into streams of personal information on phones, tablets, social networks and computers

Marketings wet dream.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo