Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has a follow-up to the report that some users in BioWare's MMORPG were being sanctioned for visiting areas intended for higher level characters (thanks Joao via Rock, Paper, Shotgun). As it turns out, none of these users was banned, they simply received warnings:

First, action was taken against a number of accounts for what's commonly known as 'gold farming' - or in our case, credit farming. These accounts were found to be exploiting the game in a variety of ways to maximize their credits in order to sell them to other players. Our Terms of Service team took action against these accounts and removed them permanently from the game.

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

None of these accounts were banned for their actions and no accounts have been banned for travelling to Ilum while still relatively low level. By comparison, the number of accounts that were warned or temporarily suspended was considerably lower than the number of accounts banned for 'credit farming'.

It's important to remember that our Terms of Service team is extremely careful and thorough in their investigation of any potential exploit or unusual activity in-game. Working closely with the development team and using extensive metrics based on player activity, they are able to determine what is normal player activity, what is unusual and what is exploiting. Our goal is always to ensure a fair game experience for all players while also protecting the rights of individuals, and if people are disrupting the play experience for others action will be taken.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 11:24 ASeven

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:20:
shinchan0s wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:16:
The game failed. Bring on ME3.

Yeah, the future is so bright there.

Bioware's no longer the titans of gaming they once were. Right now they're more akin to whimpering mouses mice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 11:20 nin

shinchan0s wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:16:

Yeah, the future is so bright there.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 11:16 shinchan0s

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 11:09 El Pit

KotOR 3, please. Without waiting queues. Thanks in advance, Bioware.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 11:07 Acleacius

bioeaware definitely seems to be manipulating customers, by tying game design flaws with gold farming, in a coverup.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 10:52 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:46:
"Too much" being defined as "completely negating our poorly designed economic system".

I feel it's unethical to warn, suspend or ban players who are playing the game within the mechanics you designed instead of the way you intended. If your mechanics allow an action you did not intend, change the mechanics.

Agreed and well said. I don't really care how it harms the overall economy, it's a design issue you address in a like manner, you don't ban players for it.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 10:49 ASeven

So all those email pics roaming the net were actually real? Who would have thought...  

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 10:48 nin

I feel it's unethical to warn, suspend or ban players who are playing the game within the mechanics you designed instead of the way you intended.

I agree.

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 10:46 Burrito of Peace

"Too much" being defined as "completely negating our poorly designed economic system".

I feel it's unethical to warn, suspend or ban players who are playing the game within the mechanics you designed instead of the way you intended. If your mechanics allow an action you did not intend, change the mechanics.

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 10:30 nin

To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

So how much is too much?

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo