Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Re:H.P.'s TouchPad, Some Say, Was Built on Flawed Software Jan 3, 2012, 23:21 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 21:53:
I am typing this in a touchpad. Its garbage. Not worth $99 for this terrible is and its lack of responsiveness. Hate it. Only good for watching movies on planes.

Did you follow any tutorials on "tweaking" it for performance, like turning off logging?

The next performance improvement you need to do is KILL LOGGING!

HP decided to have your touchpad log and report a -lot- of unnecessary things, so many that it actually has a physical effect on your touchpad's speed and functionality. Since you probably don't want HP listening in to everything your doing even if it wasn't a performance boost, lets go ahead and turn this logging off.

Go into your settings tab, tap on device info. On the top left there is a device info tab. Tap that and hit custom application. In the box that pops up, type:

##logs#

Now you'll be able to properly turn logging off (turn it to minimal). It will warn you that this is irreversible and say something about not wanting to open the pod bay doors, just tell it to do what you say or you'll rip it's battery out and lets move on! Thanks to Bevcraw for cluing me into this easy method.

That one tweak made it a lot more responsive for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Re:H.P.'s TouchPad, Some Say, Was Built on Flawed Software Jan 3, 2012, 21:53 Beamer

I am typing this in a touchpad. Its garbage. Not worth $99 for this terrible is and its lack of responsiveness. Hate it. Only good for watching movies on planes.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Re:H.P.'s TouchPad, Some Say, Was Built on Flawed Software Jan 3, 2012, 19:54 DangerDog

killer_roach wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 18:07:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 15:27:
H.P. could have grabbed a large chunk of the market with the Touchpad without killing it, of course nobody would buy the thing at $400 but it's a solid piece of hardware and software that could have been a contender at $200-$250.

What surprised me the most about the thing is how open it is, plugging it in and having it come up as a USB drive to drag and drop content to it was a surprise, I was expecting a locked down device requiring some DRM riddled spyware to even copy a .txt file to the thing.

Being able to unlock dev mode on the thing by just entering in a code and the community providing patches via preware just makes it even better.

H.P. was up against a marketing nightmare to grab peoples attention long enough to get anyone to notice the device, the first I heard of it was when the firesale hit.

Beyond just the allegedly flawed software, the hardware was also inferior to its peers as well, with some very unusual (and seemingly nonsensical) hardware design choices (such as its single-channel memory controller that resulted in slow performance relative to the iPad or the Galaxy Tab, even if the TouchPad was hacked to run Android). It seemed like a prototype that HP decided to ship commercially rather than a polished product.

Still, you can run more than one app at a time on WebOS and I don't have any issues with performance, it plays 720p HD video which is just fine for a 1024x768 9.7" display. I'm not into gaming on the tablet form factor, I did load up N64 emulator with Mario and it ran just fine.

Web browsing with "Advanced Browser" is plenty fast and I'd never bother with a tablet that didn't support flash, ie Apple iPads.

I can overlook most of its shortcomings such as lack of HDMI out or SD card expansion given that I only paid $100 for the thing.

4. Re: Re:H.P.'s TouchPad, Some Say, Was Built on Flawed Software Jan 3, 2012, 18:07 killer_roach

DangerDog wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 15:27:
H.P. could have grabbed a large chunk of the market with the Touchpad without killing it, of course nobody would buy the thing at $400 but it's a solid piece of hardware and software that could have been a contender at $200-$250.

What surprised me the most about the thing is how open it is, plugging it in and having it come up as a USB drive to drag and drop content to it was a surprise, I was expecting a locked down device requiring some DRM riddled spyware to even copy a .txt file to the thing.

Being able to unlock dev mode on the thing by just entering in a code and the community providing patches via preware just makes it even better.

H.P. was up against a marketing nightmare to grab peoples attention long enough to get anyone to notice the device, the first I heard of it was when the firesale hit.

Beyond just the allegedly flawed software, the hardware was also inferior to its peers as well, with some very unusual (and seemingly nonsensical) hardware design choices (such as its single-channel memory controller that resulted in slow performance relative to the iPad or the Galaxy Tab, even if the TouchPad was hacked to run Android). It seemed like a prototype that HP decided to ship commercially rather than a polished product.

3. Re:H.P.'s TouchPad, Some Say, Was Built on Flawed Software Jan 3, 2012, 15:27 DangerDog

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 3, 2012, 12:27 Techie714

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:31:
Rumor: The Wii U Might Become A Fully Functional E-Reader.

I get the distinct feeling nintendo is going to be in for a bumpy ride next generation.

Agree!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 3, 2012, 10:31 nin

Rumor: The Wii U Might Become A Fully Functional E-Reader.

I get the distinct feeling nintendo is going to be in for a bumpy ride next generation.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo