Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thanks Ant for sending along a link to a Reverse Color Blindness Test, perhaps recalling my previous mentions of being color blind myself. I found a couple of tidbits in this article particularly illuminating: I have always have excellent night vision and an immunity to camouflage, and never before realized that these are likely positive side effects of my condition: "Color vision deficient people have a tendency to better night vision and, in some situations, they can perceive variations in luminosity that color-sighted people could not. It might also be worth mentioning how U.S. Army discovered that color blind people could spot “camouflage” colors that fooled those with normal color vision!" Go figure!

R.I.P.: Sword Master Bob Anderson Dies. Thanks Matthias.

Colorful Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Neo Circuit.
Isoball X - Level Pack 01.
Links: Midseason 2011-2012 TV Schedule.
13 Simpsons Jokes That Actually Came True.
Stories: After missing for seven years, tsunami victim finds way home. Thanks reddit.
Man charged with making a fake $1 million bill and trying to spend it. Thanks Neatorama.
Scotch In A Can: Whisky Maker Scottish Spirits Adds Aluminum Siding To Liquor.
Science: Apes 'gamble like humans by calculating odds'. Thanks Neatorama.
4 Amazing Powers of Chili Peppers.
Why tornadoes and hailstorms are more common during the workweek.
Pictures of the Year. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: NYE Party FAILS.
Steven Tyler, Alice Cooper, Weird Al - Come Together. Thanks nin.
Lego Contraption WIN.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 15:52 Dev

Blue wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 08:50:
Dev wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 00:23:
There's at least 3 main types of color blindness and they all have varying degrees.
Wiki has a nice summary, plus on the right near the top there's several pics of what the color spectrum looks like to various color blind types.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Yes, I'm aware of this, and the test on that page seems to confirm I have "deuteranopia." But those images of how I am "supposed" to see things don't seem right. The rainbow picture on top looks right to me, I just don't know how being color blind impacts my perception of those "after" pictures. Maybe I'll ask Schrödinger's cat what he thinks. If I could only coax him out of that damned box.
Not a surprise that Blue is unique

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 08:50  Blue 

Dev wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 00:23:
There's at least 3 main types of color blindness and they all have varying degrees.
Wiki has a nice summary, plus on the right near the top there's several pics of what the color spectrum looks like to various color blind types.

Yes, I'm aware of this, and the test on that page seems to confirm I have "deuteranopia." But those images of how I am "supposed" to see things don't seem right. The rainbow picture on top looks right to me, I just don't know how being color blind impacts my perception of those "after" pictures. Maybe I'll ask Schrödinger's cat what he thinks. If I could only coax him out of that damned box.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 00:23 Dev

Blue wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 12:48:
PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 02:52:
According to the pictures on the page you linked, what you perceive as red is what a normal viewer perceives as a shade of green (olive, to be precise)... muddy, brownish green.

I don't know what to make of that page. I don't have a problem making out any colors, I can just confuse some colors out of context, mostly in the green range. But my view of a traffic light seems the same as the normal sight picture, and nothing like the colorblind version, but I can't explain how being colorblind to start with might impact this observation.

In any event, that page does not seem to reflect my own experience.
Blue,

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 12:48  Blue 

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 02:52:
According to the pictures on the page you linked, what you perceive as red is what a normal viewer perceives as a shade of green (olive, to be precise)... muddy, brownish green.

I don't know what to make of that page. I don't have a problem making out any colors, I can just confuse some colors out of context, mostly in the green range. But my view of a traffic light seems the same as the normal sight picture, and nothing like the colorblind version, but I can't explain how being colorblind to start with might impact this observation.

In any event, that page does not seem to reflect my own experience.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 02:52 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 01:45 Crustacean Soup

I don't have full red-green color blindness, and I understand that it's pretty uncommon. Mine's not super severe. In general, I don't really pay much attention to it. I can still see that grass is green and roses are red and they look like completely different colors.

I guess "washed out" is one way of putting it. A color that's all the way red or green isn't an issue, it's the colors that are in-between that are problematic. It's noticeable in some strategy games that use too many colors (GalCiv 2 comes to mind), or some games where red and green are used in a translucent HUD and so aren't 100% R or G. At some point the two colors just look the same... it's like if you had two balls of very similar shades of blue, and then turned off the light so you can't tell which is which shade.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2012, 01:51.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 20:30 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 18:22:
The world must be a terribly drab place to people who can't see red. I've got a red shirt on, right now! It looks fantastic!

Plus, how can you tell who is going to die during away missions on Star Trek?

Best way to describe color blindness is that it isn't that you DON'T see color, it is just washed out....the colors aren't as vibrant. I can see red. Red is easy. In fact the basic 8 colors are easy. It is all of those fancy ones that cause problems.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 18:22 PHJF

The world must be a terribly drab place to people who can't see red. I've got a red shirt on, right now! It looks fantastic!

Plus, how can you tell who is going to die during away missions on Star Trek?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 17:58 xXBatmanXx

I always point people to this article when they ask about my color blindness.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/what%20colorblind%20people%20see.htm

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 16:41 Dev

The article is incorrect in the % of color blind. 7% of males is only the red/green colorblind. Percent of males is closer to 10% once all the types are taken into account.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 16:19 AutoSear

My Grandpa was a tool and die maker and his colorblindness allowed him to see manufacturing defects that his normal-sighted co-workers couldn't see. I inherited his colorblindness but I haven't found it particularly useful in my web design career It's nice to know I have a higher probability of spotting ninjas in the dark though.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 16:14 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 14:18:
Some good sales at GMG today.
Great timing. As of today I'm officially bored with Skyrim but don't have anything else to play. Thinking of getting into Minecraft.

7. Sword Master Bob Anderson Dies. Jan 3, 2012, 14:22 jdreyer

"There can be only one."

RIP, Bob.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 14:21 nin

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 14:18:

Damn. Arkham City for $20.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 14:18 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 14:03 Cutter

Trying to peddle a fake one million dollar bill? It just boggles the mind how dumb some people are.

Homer: There's a $10,000 bill in it for you.
Barney: Oh yeah? Which president's on it?
Homer: Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 10:53 nin

I thought I remembered it being at the bottom of the page, as opposed to the most recent post...odd.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 10:52  Blue 

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:33:
Established 1995. Over a half-billion visitors since 1997.

Is that new or do you only tack it onto the latest post?

Been there for a long time... It probably said 10 million or something when it was added.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2012, 10:33 nin

Established 1995. Over a half-billion visitors since 1997.

Is that new or do you only tack it onto the latest post?

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo