Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - A Theory About Humor In Games.
Consider the laughter that occurs in a friendly game of Scrabble or Spin the Bottle. The chuckles that occur are just as honest as those that come about when listening to a stand-up comic, but the means of creating the insights are different. Game are unique in their ability to set up systematic, repeatable opportunities to create and confront mental models. Specifically in multiplayer games, the rules of the game often deliberately encourage players to create their own time, place and group specific jokes.

truepcgaming - Steampocalypse 2011: The Rise and Fall of a Coal Addict.
Valve: I give up. You win. I lost. Im done with this. Im putting your coal and your achievements and your sale away. Im just gonna go play fun games that I want to play now. Thanks for keeping me from doing that for past two weeks of my life.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 22:50 Wraith

I find it difficult to understand how anybody got fooled into Valve's latest piece of subscriber-insulting nonsense. After the fiasco which was the Portal 2 release, how anybody could miss that this whole thing would be a monumental fucking waste of time is beyond me.

Mind you, consumers are stupid. It's the entire premise behind the Home Shopping Network.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 10:18 Prez

They should have given the main prize to me - probably would have saved them some money.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 09:09 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 07:06:
It comes out to a little over $20K USD, if I remember correctly, so that's not bad. On the other hand, plenty of that "value" likely comes from games that you'd never actually play. I know that even if I won every game Steam has, I'd still only play about 5% of them.

I'd have been perfectly happy winning my top 10 wishlist games.

Indeed, forget the grand prize, I have enough silly shit I'll never play in my Steam account as it is.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

35. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 07:06 Bhruic

It comes out to a little over $20K USD, if I remember correctly, so that's not bad. On the other hand, plenty of that "value" likely comes from games that you'd never actually play. I know that even if I won every game Steam has, I'd still only play about 5% of them.

I'd have been perfectly happy winning my top 10 wishlist games.

34. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 05:50 ViRGE

Pyloff wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 23:32:
Is the grand prize that great? (I own pretty much every game I want to play) Or was everyone trying for the conversions to games and coupons?
It's every game on Steam, so yeah, that's pretty good. Considering the vast number of games available on Steam, you're basically winning a collection that represents a large chunk of every modern PC game ever made.

33. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 03:19 Dev

Deathbishop wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 19:20:
It does suck that so many tried to game the system though. I guess some of that was out of Valve's control, since they couldn't have anticipated that humble bundle would be gamed to get steam keys and thus, extra accounts. Perhaps next time keep the contests limited to only those with a steam purchase in their libarary.
It WAS limited to accounts with at least one non F2P game in steam. What they should have done was not allowed coal trading, that would have stopped most of the crap that went on.

32. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2012, 01:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 14:36:
Do the games I bought as gifts for others show up on my list? If not, that list should be twice as long or longer. Thank God and Superman that my wife doesn't pay close attention to the bank account that we make online purchases with.
Lucky you! I had to explain to my wife that my purchase of the latest Humble Indie Bundle was done out of pure, unadulterated altruism. It's for the children, really!! Ok, not entirely, but I did pay $25 for it, and that was before they added more stuff to it too. Oh, and I had a couple of the games already.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

31. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 23:59 Silicon Avatar

I bought Limbo for cheap. That was about it for me. I completely forgot about the Steam store mini-game or whatever it was.  

30. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 23:32 Pyloff

Is the grand prize that great? (I own pretty much every game I want to play) Or was everyone trying for the conversions to games and coupons?

The only game I owned in the contest was Binding of Isaac but I like that game, got 13 mom kills in Ended up with a free game from the very first event and 5 lumps of coal from doing dumb stuff like writing reviews.

I used to dislike Steam a lot but you can't beat the deals

29. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 22:12 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 18:34:
Prez wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 12:52:
I think his point is that there is an inherent compulsiveness to "achievement-centered gaming" that drives you to play games you'd rather not instead of games you like. How resistant one will be to it will vary, based on mental fortitude and willpower (among other things) , but it's fairly compelling nonetheless. Valve sets up these events masterfully, and I'm not above admitting that I played into their evil plot over the sale.

For others, I suppose this is the thread where you gloat about how much more wise and strong-willed you are than the rest of us if you abstained. Still, anyone who ever bought a scratch-off ticket or a lottery ticket may want to be careful about where they throw stones lest they damage their own glass domicile.

We all have our addictions/weakenesses. Fortunately for me it's never been the usual sin stuff - booze, drugs, gambling, sex, etc. - and I've certainly never been an avhievement whore in games. However, that isn't to say I don't cave to these things every once in a while, and when I do I tend to take it to the extreme. After all, in for a penny, in for a pound. No point in half-assing a good bender. And when I'm in that mode it's good times had by all.

And as for lottery, why not? Investments are a crap shoot as well. And some people really do have a lot of good luck, my mom being one of them. It boggles the mind how much stuff she's won over the years. Every week there's people winning stuff and the opposite end of the spectrum too. I've always just took it in stride as if I win, super, if not, c'est la vie.

I've never really understood the compulsion people have with achievements or the chance (no matter how slight) to win stuff. Sure, if you buy a bunch of cheap games that you have no interest in playing and grind the necessary achievements, you slightly increase your chance to win something. But surely you realize that even your increased chances are so miniscule that it won't make any meaningful difference, right? When you're competing against millions of other users, having 10 coal instead of 1 doesn't really help much. Instead of spending hours to trying to get enough coal to earn a chance to get a free game, why not just buy the game at its already low price? You'll save yourself a lot of time, effort and frustration.

I guess it all comes down to numbers or more specifically, having the largest numbers. For many people, the simple ability to increase their numbers is sufficient justification to do so, even if it doesn't lead to any sort of meaningful result. I've known people who are willing to sacrifice things like image quality, performance, mod support and superior controls, all in favor of the ability to earn Gamer Points. It's a sad but all too telling indication of why almost all games have leveling or achievements of some sort these days, even when it works against the core gameplay.

28. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 22:01 PHJF

Giants... now there's a game that needs a sequel, like, yesterday.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 21:06 Prez

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 20:18:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 19:18:
Hardest I've laughed at a game...

Don't think I've laughed at a game so hard as when I played this for the first time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2scpc_N5w

Best videogame chase EVER. I couldn't stop laughing the whole time, making completing that fairly difficult. A lot of "Giants" (AWESOME cutscenes!!!) had me in hysterical laughing fits as well.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 20:45 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 20:18:

Don't think I've laughed at a game so hard as when I played this for the first time...

You left out "in a while"... All time would have to be something from Psychonauts or Monkey Island or any MP HL mod, PVK is a good example, or something from the BF series.

Okay, I dunno what my funniest game moment would be.

25. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 20:18 Krovven

24. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 19:20 Deathbishop

The article was funny but there is truth in it. I didn't buy anything with the purpose of trying to get an achievement (in fact, two I bought that had achievements, SPAZ and Dungeon Defenders, i haven't even played yet), but I did subject myself to games I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise (rusty hearts, crimecraft) to get the achievements. After awhile I figured out I was more than likely not going to get anything of value.

Where the guy in the article went wrong was he should of saved his coal instead of crafted and then traded them for something. Coal, especially in the first week of the sale, had a decent trade value and people were getting stuff like Risen for 12-14 coal, which the OP could have got with patience and time on the Steam Forums (or even Reddit). That's what I did and wound up with Amnesia and Sequence via trades.

It does suck that so many tried to game the system though. I guess some of that was out of Valve's control, since they couldn't have anticipated that humble bundle would be gamed to get steam keys and thus, extra accounts. Perhaps next time keep the contests limited to only those with a steam purchase in their libarary.

23. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 19:18 Sepharo

Hardest I've laughed at a game in a while has to be during the short period I played APB. The absurd levels of customization really aided that because being chased down by a pedobear in a pedobear decorated van playing a Yankee Doodle midi while my friends fire AKs from the windows of my cop suv is hilarious.  

22. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 18:37 Jerykk

I think game humor works best when it's unintentional/emergent. Seeing some the crazy/retarded stuff the NPCs do in an Elder Scrolls game, for example. Or punching prostitutes in DX:HR. Or being a jackass in the original DX. I generally find these things funnier than any explicit jokes the writers have come up with.  

21. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 18:34 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 12:52:
I think his point is that there is an inherent compulsiveness to "achievement-centered gaming" that drives you to play games you'd rather not instead of games you like. How resistant one will be to it will vary, based on mental fortitude and willpower (among other things) , but it's fairly compelling nonetheless. Valve sets up these events masterfully, and I'm not above admitting that I played into their evil plot over the sale.

For others, I suppose this is the thread where you gloat about how much more wise and strong-willed you are than the rest of us if you abstained. Still, anyone who ever bought a scratch-off ticket or a lottery ticket may want to be careful about where they throw stones lest they damage their own glass domicile.

We all have our addictions/weakenesses. Fortunately for me it's never been the usual sin stuff - booze, drugs, gambling, sex, etc. - and I've certainly never been an avhievement whore in games. However, that isn't to say I don't cave to these things every once in a while, and when I do I tend to take it to the extreme. After all, in for a penny, in for a pound. No point in half-assing a good bender. And when I'm in that mode it's good times had by all.

And as for lottery, why not? Investments are a crap shoot as well. And some people really do have a lot of good luck, my mom being one of them. It boggles the mind how much stuff she's won over the years. Every week there's people winning stuff and the opposite end of the spectrum too. I've always just took it in stride as if I win, super, if not, c'est la vie.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. wtf Jan 2, 2012, 16:55 space captain

Consider the laughter that occurs in a friendly game of Scrabble or Spin the Bottle. The chuckles that occur are just as honest as those that come about when listening to a stand-up comic, but the means of creating the insights are different. Game are unique in their ability to set up systematic, repeatable opportunities to create and confront mental models. Specifically in multiplayer games, the rules of the game often deliberately encourage players to create their own time, place and group specific jokes.

yeh man fill that quota

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 16:50 Krovven

Edit: Wrong thread, but whatever, will repost in the right thread.

Thank to everyone that participated in Play It Forward! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/playitforward2012xmas

Special thanks to Prez on behalf of everyone, for his generosity which gave me the idea to start the group. Group only saw 43 members, but I'm sure there were many others that either didn't get an invite or just didnt accept the group invite.

Invites privs are now locked to only Prez and myself. I'll open them up again next time or make a new group.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2012, 16:57.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo