Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Bans?

A thread on reddit offers an email purportedly from BioWare support informing the recipient of unspecified sanctions in Star Wars: The Old Republic, saying this was for accessing areas and loot meant for higher level characters in the just-launched MMORPG. There's a follow-up post on The Old Republic forums pointing out some discrepancies like typos and other issues that suggest this is not a legitimate email. There's also a post on Rock, Paper, Shotgun suggesting this may be a legitimate ban, and the player who was banned omitted details about how this was more of an exploit than described. Thanks Joao.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 19:16 Teddy

WyldKat wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 15:10:

Once again, They're banning for their own bad game design not an actual bug exploit.

And... Once again, they were obviously exploiting a game mechanic in an unintended manner. They knew they were doing it, they knew it was wrong. They deserve their bans 100%.

Could it have been avoided with more careful design? Yes. Could it be fixed via patch? Yes, and it probably will be.

It doesn't matter that it's a design flaw they're exploiting and not a bug. This is something they absolutely knew they were wrong in doing, and yet did it anyways in the hopes of quick profit. They got caught, and that's that.

As for your complaint about the PVP dailies... they're PvP dailies for a reason. They're supposed to require PvP, AND require that you win/complete your task. Acting like you 'deserve' to finish the repeatable quests every day without doing the work involved is just sad and lazy. You don't have the right to exploit the system simply because you disagree with the implementation of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 19:05 Sepharo

ASeven wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 18:46:
Been googlefuing a bit more, found this, no idea if they're real or fake.
http://i.imgur.com/e3dRQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/ncUKU.jpg

Holy shit warned for "playing" the auction house? You mean my early WoW strategy of buying all the cotton is illegal in swtor?

24. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 18:46 ASeven

Been googlefuing a bit more, found this, no idea if they're real or fake.
http://i.imgur.com/e3dRQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/ncUKU.jpg

23. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 17:44 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 15:01:
Yet another reason this game is doomed.

If the game designers got a nickel for every time you said that about an MMO they wouldn't need the subscription fees.

22. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 17:28 Respen

Really? It must suck to be EA/Bioware because apparently anything you do garners a crazy amount of criticism. A player being banned for exploiting, with or without a full description of the issue... yes, I'm sure this has nothing to do with said player's behavior and everything to do with the unjust EA empire.

Same goes for the swearing in general chat. Dropping F bombs; at least in front of women and children is still illegal in this state, a short ban is nothing to scream at Bioware about; Blizzard does the same thing after all.

I'm all for Calling EA out when they do something wrong, and they OFTEN do us wrong, but ya'll look like a bunch of crybabies whining about some selfish players getting banned... and not even permanently banned.

21. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 16:30 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 15:07:
If I recall I think I got a warning about swearing in the beta. Blew my mind. I asked them wtf the chat filter was for in that case. Yet another reason this game is doomed.

Cutter, every MMO out there even with a filter will tell you it's still not OK to swear in their games with exception to Age of Conan.

I don't know what games you've been playing but every MMO chat I've ever seen has been totally blue.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 15:23 Flatline

If I recall I think I got a warning about swearing in the beta. Blew my mind. I asked them wtf the chat filter was for in that case. Yet another reason this game is doomed.

Which that screencap must have been from the beta. You don't know *when* that screencap was made- all the comments say "today".

I've dropped enough profanity, both filtered and worked around the filter, to make an aircraft carrier full of sailors blush. I haven't gotten a warning yet.

Early on in beta I can see how they might set it up so every time the profanity filter kicked in it binged somewhere. That isn't an excuse of course. You'd think Bioware *wanted* to test the profanity filter. Someone must have been an awful big blue light moderator.

19. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 15:21 Dev

If the flipping thing is true, sounds like its more bioware's fault than anything else. Hasn't anyone learned when you do an MMO you ALWAYS look for how griefers and lamers can game the system? You don't design these things to be trusting that everyone is 100% honest, you design them to prevent the hopefully small percentage of bad apples from screwing the game. Designing a setup that basically encourages flipping (it gives you more benefits to flip than holding onto it and stopping the flipping) is moronic. Blizzard isn't making everything with D3 on their servers because they trust people not to exploit.

Valve didn't bother to take even the smallest of precautions in their gift event (except to require an account have a game on it), and look how fast mfers took advantage of that. All valve had to do was not let coal be traded, and it would have stopped the majority of it.

18. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 15:10 WyldKat

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 14:38:
Actually it has NOTHING to do with looting. The player was taking a low level character into a level 50 pvp zone and flipping objectives so players on the other side could flip them back. He was exploiting and was banned for doing so.

Helps if you folks actually read more then just the headlines.

Once again, They're banning for their own bad game design not an actual bug exploit. IF people under 50 aren't allowed to go to Ilum then they should have restricted where your ship could take you. IF you're not supposed to be able to just flip points and ignore PVP then they should have made the objectives actually require some PVP and not just mindless flip grinding. Also bear in mind that even on PVE servers, it's full PVP in this particular part of Ilum, so being a lowbie on Ilum just means you're going to get rocked if you DO go there and encounter PVP. Also, this game lets anyone create an alt on the opposite faction on the same server. There are also no mobs in this area, which could have easily been a good way to prevent lowbies from capping.

That's why this is occurring. There's not a lot of action on Ilum when the ONLY point to be there is to do your PVP daily then GTFO.

There isn't an actual bug that's being exploited, they are banning because their horrid game design in this area encourages this type of play, because on low-pop servers or off-peak times you won't likely see a base flip or PVP happen, making the dailies impossible to finish.

17. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 15:07 The Half Elf

Cutter, every MMO out there even with a filter will tell you it's still not OK to swear in their games with exception to Age of Conan.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 15:05 yuastnav

Sorry, but that there was absolutely no way that they could've made room for a word filter in their budget.

15. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 15:01 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

14. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:58 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 14:38:

OH SNAP!

13. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:56 Dev

Typos doesn't automatically mean its not legit. Look at that PR douch who has the emails published by penny arcade (the stuff has been linked here in the news recently). His emails were full of typos and cell phone kinda typing, looked like an illiterate bum.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2012, 15:20.

12. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:56 nin

and the player who was banned omitted details about how this was more of an exploit than described.

Noooooooo!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:38 The Half Elf

Actually it has NOTHING to do with looting. The player was taking a low level character into a level 50 pvp zone and flipping objectives so players on the other side could flip them back. He was exploiting and was banned for doing so.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:35 Omni

EA care.

yours sincerely EA.

9. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:32 WyldKat

There is no such thing as a "Flip Exploit". Flipping the capture points is what you HAVE to do to complete your dailies and because of Bioware's stupid ass decision to not give ANY rewards or other incentives for world PVP, people just sit there and let the other faction flip your points while you flip theirs. People only go to the PVP area on Ilum to do their dailies and then leave because there's no reason to be there. Bioware (especially if Mythic did PVP) should have flipping realized that people don't want to world PVP for the sake of it, we want something for the time we spent doing it too and of course we will take the path of least resistance when forced to do a grind. Because grinding is not, flipping, fun.

They SHOULD have gone the DAOC and LOTRO route and have cappable bases that give benefits to the whole faction, benefits you don't instantly lose if you don't hold all the points as in the current design. Seriously... there's no lockout timer if you actually DO hold all the points, so getting the buff is pointless to even try for. That and it only buffs commendations gained in INSTANCED PVP... not World PVP...because you get zero commendations for World PVP... WTF?

So yes, Bioware drastically needs to look at World PVP and the Ilum zone if they want to keep the currently high population of PVP players. Let's not even get into how broken it is to toss in Tier 3 geared level 50s with level 10s in the same warzone. Level bolstering is a great concept but not sectioning off the 50s who are the only ones who can access Expertise gear (which is HUGE in PVP) is just a decision I can't fathom Bioware not thinking about when they consciously added THREE tiers of level 50 PVP gear.

So yeah... flip the flipping flippers until they fix this shit.

8. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:27 ASeven

Doing a bit of Googlefu and it's showing something worrying, people reporting that you cannot cancel your sub even if you got a ban.

If any of this is true, from the article to this, then Bioware sure is trying its hardest to make SWTOR F2P ASAP.

7. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 14:13 Riker

osage no onna wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 13:44:
This one's even better:
http://i.imgur.com/1J98e.jpg

Wow. Fuck you, BioWare.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo