Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - A Beatdown in Which No One Threw the First Punch.
That's his prerogative. Penny Arcade is not my business and I've never attended PAX. But the fact remains this incident never would have become the Internet scandal it is if Krahulik didn't decide it involved him and it involved Penny Arcade. There's a difference between saying, for example, "The Boston Red Sox endorse what I write," and "I'm going to a Red Sox game." Well, PAX is a Red Sox game in this case; all Christoforo said was he was going to it, which more than 100 exhibitors do in Boston.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 22:29 JohnnyRotten

Flatline wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 15:34:
And in doing so, it's sounding the horn to rally all the other bullying, hate-filled people to join the cause. Makes it easier to identify them.

Yahtzee

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 11:23 Lokust

Friends don't let friends visit shitty Kotaku articles  

45. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 21:27 Veterator

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 11:59:
Veterator wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 02:52:
Yes you are right, no one should ever do anything to correct the cases of abuse. It's the path to ruin. Ignoring it makes it much better.

Domestic abuse? Police should beat the wife some more, because the husband obviously knows something we don't know...if he wasn't beating her she might become a female hitler.

Pedophilia? Those children asked for it, you don't know it's speculation to assume they didn't.

Animal abuse? Those dogs were probably going to bite someone someday, so better to make them live in their own filth and fight for our amusement.

The people who stop these things are not "good guys", and it's obviously not what the world needs.....space captain has told you. So fuck it.

oh yeh, what was i thinking?? this "PAX vs PR dept" shit is exactly like domestic abuse and pedophilia!

your absolutist stance is only an inability to comprehend reality, not some kind of "discerning wisdom".. that takes something you aint got

Ignoring abuse is ignoring abuse. Once you stop ignoring it, then you fit the punishment to the crime.

This guy hasn't been jailed for his abuse, but lost his job (as Im sure is commonplace when someone fails to perform their job to satisfaction of the employer/business partner) and had some public humiliation (which I don't think he quite considers humiliation but advertising). He may end up jailed for blackmail and holding digital property from it's rightful owners, but that's just another poor decision on his part.

The rest of it was sarcasm on the speculation. And blindly ignoring his history of abusing other customers, which he backpedaled on when brought to the public's attention. His decisions were his own, and if he hadn't acted as such there would be nothing to cause public outrage. Bottom line is, he didn't learn from his mistakes in past..continued to repeat them and I still don't think he's learned.

Arguing that it's commonplace in the business world doesn't magically make it right...if you want to get into inability to comprehend reality and "discerning wisdom". For that matter, sexual harassment was commonplace in the business world, and they have laws governing it now. Does that mean sexual harassment was OK since it was technically legal in the past?

And before we go through the apples and oranges argument. Sexual harassment can be JUST words, much like berating a customer through email is JUST words. You should show me some skin, and you know your boss will take my word over yours because I know the CEO of the company, the mayor of Boston, the Yellow Power Ranger, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Mike Krahulik.

Funny video parodying this for whomever may care: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqV9kx40RG0

44. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 21:06 Veterator

Sarcasm. *woosh*

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 13:26:
Yes you are right, no one should ever do anything to correct the cases of abuse. It's the path to ruin. Ignoring it makes it much better.

The people who stop these things are not "good guys", and it's obviously not what the world needs.....space captain has told you. So fuck it.
What are you prattling on about? Because I don't think I've read anything quite so stupid since the original email by captain elroid douchebag himself over this entire affair. It's always fun to see someone try to take something and make it into the grandest ideological battle of the century, instead of what a person is. Damn PCness run amok, I mean we'd better not hurt the roiders feelings. He might cry in a fit of vein popping rage or something.

43. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 20:36 Jerykk

Should not we all be giving shit to Mike because, no matter weather or not Cristoforo was a dick, Mike sounds like a console gamer and this is Bluesnews where thats looked down apon like AIDS?

Don't worry. If he writes any articles that criticize PC gaming in any way, we'll lay on the haterade.

And further dragging this into the public eye accomplishes... what, exactly?

Cristoforo is no longer working with Avenger and his reputation has been so tarnished that he's unlikely to work with anyone in the industry ever again. Considering how poorly he does his job, that's a good thing.

42. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 15:34 Flatline

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 11:56:
Krovven wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 03:14:
Already knew you were a colossal douchebag. Thanks for making it abundantly clear to everyone else...again.

hey there piece of shit, you want to get caught up in some hate? i can surely oblige you, you fucking degenerate failure of life

your worthless existence is about to be compounded by the magnitude of your ridiculous pomposity, and im more than happy to twist that knife right up your asshole

Your mother must be so proud of that mouth...

Edit: This op-ed does one thing really well. The author admits basically in the article that he's a bullying, hate-filled miserable person, and then proceeds to "defend" the PR guy by attacking everyone else in the situation.

And in doing so, it's sounding the horn to rally all the other bullying, hate-filled people to join the cause. Makes it easier to identify them.

41. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 15:24 Kosumo

Should not we all be giving shit to Mike because, no matter weather or not Cristoforo was a dick, Mike sounds like a console gamer and this is Bluesnews where thats looked down apon like AIDS?

What, Bluesnews is getting console friendly?

Luke Skywalker "NOOOOOOoooooooooo......."

40. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 14:50 Sepharo

All Mike did was post the email and that wasn't even really his idea either, the customer and Cristoforo had already discussed the emails going public and the "publicity" of it all.

If you don't want douchey emails going public then don't send douchey emails.

39. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 13:26 Mashiki Amiketo

What are you prattling on about? Because I don't think I've read anything quite so stupid since the original email by captain elroid douchebag himself over this entire affair. It's always fun to see someone try to take something and make it into the grandest ideological battle of the century, instead of what a person is. Damn PCness run amok, I mean we'd better not hurt the roiders feelings. He might cry in a fit of vein popping rage or something.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

38. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 12:40 yuastnav

Doombringer wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 11:02:
PropheT wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 03:04:
Doombringer wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 21:55:
Krahulik should have stayed out of it. He can spin it however he'd like, but it boils down to "I think I'm pretty important since I run PA and PAX, so I'm going to throw my weight into this bit of arm-flailing."

Between this ridiculousness and the Notch/Yogscast Twitter debacle a few weeks back, the "gaming community" is looking more and more like "kindergarten."

That's absolutely ridiculous.

It might also be worth noting that since PAX, the show the guy was touting that he'd be at, wouldn't exist without Krahulik...he doesn't have to think he's important, he is. If he doesn't want someone with that sort of behavior being on the floor at his show then I think it'd be irresponsible for him not to say something. It's part of why PA is as popular as it is, because they aren't just going to let it slide because someone is paying them money...they actually care about what's going on.

As much as I hate the gaming community in general, the actual event that people are talking about is one of the positive examples of it. The stupidity surrounding it and the juvenile actions of random people who aren't involved with the story sucks (including Kotaku here), but it's pretty silly to think that's a gaming community thing and not a general internet thing.

Cheap entertainment for once and even more cheap entertainment concerning discussions about the morality of the whole story. Kind of redundant, actually.

[edit]
Oh yeah, and clicks, c.f. Forbes article.

37. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 12:20 Dev

Veterator wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 01:09:
Link to website: http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service

He has updated, the original stuff is at the bottom of the site. You'll note Christoforo reversed his attitude when the guy posted all the stuff up for the public to see, but it never got picked up by the big outfits.
LOL, he's got a pattern of douchness.
Doombringer wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 11:02:
Krahulik was showboating as the "defender" here plain and simple. He could have easily put the kibosh on that nitwit's attendance without all the limelight.
If a random douche throws out the name of my event while insulting someone, and then when I email him to call him on it, and he responds with insulting ME the organizer of the event, I'd feel the need to take it public too.

36. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 11:59 space captain

Domestic abuse? Police should beat the wife some more, because the husband obviously knows something we don't know...if he wasn't beating her she might become a female hitler.

Pedophilia? Those children asked for it, you don't know it's speculation to assume they didn't.

Animal abuse? Those dogs were probably going to bite someone someday, so better to make them live in their own filth and fight for our amusement.

oh yeh, what was i thinking?? this "PAX vs PR dept" shit is exactly like domestic abuse and pedophilia!

your absolutist stance is only an inability to comprehend reality, not some kind of "discerning wisdom".. that takes something you aint got

Go forth, and kill!

35. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 11:56 space captain

Krovven wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 03:14:
Already knew you were a colossal douchebag. Thanks for making it abundantly clear to everyone else...again.

hey there piece of shit, you want to get caught up in some hate? i can surely oblige you, you fucking degenerate failure of life

your worthless existence is about to be compounded by the magnitude of your ridiculous pomposity, and im more than happy to twist that knife right up your asshole

Go forth, and kill!

34. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 11:52 Prez

Brucie at least had a retarded charm about him. This Christoforo idiot comes across about as likeable as cancer.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 11:47 Mordecai Walfish

Donkey_Punch wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 02:58:
Holy shit, Brucie came to life from GTA4 and changed his name to Paul Christoforo.

http://gta.wikia.com/Brucie_Kibbutz

Hilarious you mention that because that was one of the first characters his demeanor reminded me of almost instantly, lol.

32. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 11:02 Doombringer

PropheT wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 03:04:
Krahulik should have stayed out of it. He can spin it however he'd like, but it boils down to "I think I'm pretty important since I run PA and PAX, so I'm going to throw my weight into this bit of arm-flailing."

Between this ridiculousness and the Notch/Yogscast Twitter debacle a few weeks back, the "gaming community" is looking more and more like "kindergarten."

It might also be worth noting that since PAX, the show the guy was touting that he'd be at, wouldn't exist without Krahulik...he doesn't have to think he's important, he is. If he doesn't want someone with that sort of behavior being on the floor at his show then I think it'd be irresponsible for him not to say something. It's part of why PA is as popular as it is, because they aren't just going to let it slide because someone is paying them money...they actually care about what's going on.

As much as I hate the gaming community in general, the actual event that people are talking about is one of the positive examples of it. The stupidity surrounding it and the juvenile actions of random people who aren't involved with the story sucks (including Kotaku here), but it's pretty silly to think that's a gaming community thing and not a general internet thing.

Krahulik was showboating as the "defender" here plain and simple. He could have easily put the kibosh on that nitwit's attendance without all the limelight. Nobody here was particularly gracious in their handling of it, and it really boils down to Nerd Wars. "Arm the Twitter Trebuchets, men!" and completely unprofessional behavior all around.

31. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 10:08 Dmitri_M

Quboid wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 19:30:
This is the same people as run Gawker, right?

This is an interesting look at what might be their tactics:
Forbes article

That article is spot on.

30. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 03:14 Krovven

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 00:54:
so fuck it, go ahead and go berzerker on this fool and then pat yourself on the back for being a "good guy", its just what we need, let me tell you

Ahh yes, because you are a shining example of how people should behave on the internet. Your post history is full of wonderful examples.

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 01:24:
maybe the whole company is a piece of shit, and now they are gonna be around longer because they've appeased people by firing this asshole.

Have you read anything before opening your fucking idiot mouth? Christoforo was a 3rd party company hired to do marketing. The controller company was started by a teacher that designed the controller to assist one of his physically handicapped students use gamepads.

29. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 03:04 PropheT

28. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 02:58 Donkey_Punch

Holy shit, Brucie came to life from GTA4 and changed his name to Paul Christoforo.

http://gta.wikia.com/Brucie_Kibbutz

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo