Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Tech Bits Jan 1, 2012, 11:34 wtf_man

TurdFergasun wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 19:30:
i know you like meat and potatoes, but alot of ppl like change for the better and not just "what was good for muh pah is good fer me and everyone else" mentality.

I wasn't claiming to "speak for everyone". It just seems like an unnecessary fad, like 3D. Most people that I know can't stand 3D, and it isn't exactly flying off the shelves like the manufactures and content providers had hoped.

I suppose if things get cheap enough, like they have with Blu Ray, eventually this stuff will catch on... but I don't see a very quick transition.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Tech Bits Jan 1, 2012, 05:33 killer_roach

TurdFergasun wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 19:30:
you will after your tv breaks at the designed point of obsoletion. ppl are already using 2560x1600, or in the case of having 3 monitors 5760x1200. i know you like meat and potatoes, but alot of ppl like change for the better and not just "what was good for muh pah is good fer me and everyone else" mentality. get some glasses jebidiah 1080p is bunk if you sit close enough your screen is mimicking an actual theatre aspect ratio, and relative viewing size.

[url=]http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html[/url]

That being said, a lot of back-catalog films only have 2K digital transfers... it's mostly new films and a small cross-section of classic titles that have 4K digital transfers available. There's a large amount of the corpus of cinema that will never take advantage of any resolution much greater than 1080p.

Of course, having 4K sets in the wild will force digital cinema to step their game up... but that's a different case entirely.

12. Re: Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 19:30 TurdFergasun

you will after your tv breaks at the designed point of obsoletion. ppl are already using 2560x1600, or in the case of having 3 monitors 5760x1200. i know you like meat and potatoes, but alot of ppl like change for the better and not just "what was good for muh pah is good fer me and everyone else" mentality. get some glasses jebidiah 1080p is bunk if you sit close enough your screen is mimicking an actual theatre aspect ratio, and relative viewing size.

[url=]http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html[/url]

11. Re: Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 11:24 wtf_man

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 10:29:
First test broadcast of ultra definition scheduled for 2020? Uh, ok -- guess I'll wait until 2025 or so to buy a TV like this.

Right.

Also, Youtube and others can stream that resolution sooner?
Yeah, I want to hit my bandwidth cap after a few shows / movies.

I can already see the pot marks underneath the makeup on the actors faces at 1080p. Why the fuck would I want even more poor-skin revealing detail???

Seriously though... 1080p on a 60 inch TV is BEYOND clear. And more clarity than that seems kind like a fad... like 3D. Also... people are just now starting to rebuild their libraries with Blu Ray (Because it's cheap enough now) and HD formats on Hard Drives or Home Servers... So, with not that much need to gain clarity, do the content providers really think people will want to rebuild Yet AGAIN???

10. Re: Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 10:29 Mr. Tact

First test broadcast of ultra definition scheduled for 2020? Uh, ok -- guess I'll wait until 2025 or so to buy a TV like this.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. you are a gimmick Dec 31, 2011, 01:26 space captain

its still subjective  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 01:23 TurdFergasun

space captain wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 01:05:
yeh just like 3D, which is now in every household and taking over the entertainment world like gangbusters, i tell ya

yes but 3d is a gimmick, and it's been implemented poorly, shutter glasses are a very ghetto 3d solution. resolution is a tangible benefit. gaming is really the only place to utilize that kind of resolution for a consumer right now tho. unless you live in the NHK building. you can also stream 4k from many youtube sources.

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U7e_quvkPQ[/url]

so far this is the only display i've seen which has a chance at producing a convincing, non-irritating 3d experience at home.
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCYKk_ZxkY[/url]

only because it draws a seperate image for each eye, and each image is isolated so that the left eye only sees the left image and vice versa. sony is meh, but i've love to see more dlp displays or oled like this

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2011, 01:33.

7. Re: Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 01:05 space captain

yeh just like 3D, which is now in every household and taking over the entertainment world like gangbusters, i tell ya  
Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Tech Bits Dec 30, 2011, 20:05 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Dec 30, 2011, 12:08:
I don't get what these "ultra resolutions" for TV are for.

We barely have broadcast at 1080p. Blu Ray and Streaming only do 1080p.

So wtf content can you get at 4K, let alone some of the ones that are doing 2K???

There's also an "if you build it, they will come" mentality to it as well. You're not going to get 4K content at the consumer level without 4K consumer displays.

5. Re: Tech Bits Dec 30, 2011, 20:05 reisub

The main reason LG is pushing 4K (their version of 4K at least) is because the Film Pattern Retarder used in their passive 3D TVs basically halves the vertical resolution of 3D content. It's not quite as bad as it sounds as they show double the number of frames for each eye and your brain combines them into a 1080i image effectively. Still, far from ideal and some people can see the horizontal lines (alternate lines are polarised differently).

For games at least I'd like to see a high res head-mounted display that fills your field of view and has perfect head tracking. I'd call it...virtual reality. Probably wouldn't catch on.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2011, 20:11.

4. Not 4K, 3.2:1 ratio Dec 30, 2011, 15:14 jdreyer

I don't really care about 4K yet. I would prefer a parabolic ultra widescreen monitor over a 4K set. Something along the lines of 3200x1000 pixels, but at a reasonable price. The current ones aren't even flat panels and cost $7000.

I realize that what makes LCDs cheap is the fact that they are flat. But it seems to me that an enterprising monitor maker could combine 6 or 8 or 9 smaller panels into one display. Although it wouldn't be perfectly curved, it would still provide a 90 degree view while eliminating the bars that divide 2 or 3 separate monitors in a multi-monitor setup.

Here's to hoping that we don't have to wait 5-7 years for cheap OLED displays before getting reasonably priced wrap around displays.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Tech Bits Dec 30, 2011, 15:04 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Dec 30, 2011, 12:08:

So wtf content can you get at 4K, let alone some of the ones that are doing 2K???

The only place I've heard that you can watch 4K samples is on youtube.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Tech Bits Dec 30, 2011, 15:02 Prez

I disagree with categorizing DNF as a "fail" (Seriously folks - could we please go back to using the correct term "failure"? It's not that much longer...). The failure was that of idiotic George Broussard's. The fact that Gearbox was able to take that moron's mess and release a working product (that was nowhere near as bad as the gaming press made it out to be) that actually recouped some of the massive losses caused by Broussard's utter incompetence and stupidity qualifies it as a success for 2011 in my view.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

1. Re: Tech Bits Dec 30, 2011, 12:08 wtf_man

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo