Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mobilization

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Mobilization Dec 30, 2011, 08:20 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 22:05:
killer_roach wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 21:53:
Quboid wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 20:15:
Santa brought me one of the £79 ones. The Kindle Fire looks like a bad e-reader (short battery, bad screen) and a bad tablet (locked down, mediocre hardware), a sort of worst-of-both-worlds thing, so I'm surprised to see it get so much love.

Root it and you can largely overcome three of those limitations. The screen's still not fantastic, but the rest would be more than serviceable.

To be fair, if you want to make the battery last on any kindle, you turn off the wifi unless you're specifically doing something online.

THat, and I use the brightness at the lowerst level, even during the day in my squad. The brighter it is, the less battery life you will get.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 22:05 nin

killer_roach wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 21:53:
Santa brought me one of the £79 ones. The Kindle Fire looks like a bad e-reader (short battery, bad screen) and a bad tablet (locked down, mediocre hardware), a sort of worst-of-both-worlds thing, so I'm surprised to see it get so much love.

Root it and you can largely overcome three of those limitations. The screen's still not fantastic, but the rest would be more than serviceable.

To be fair, if you want to make the battery last on any kindle, you turn off the wifi unless you're specifically doing something online.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 21:53 killer_roach

10. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 20:18 Prez

With all of the bad press the Kindle Fire has gotten over its use as an e-reader (as compared to its siblings), I figured I would barely touch the e-reader portion. As it turns out, however, it is a fine e-reader in its own right and not at all taxing on the eyes despite what more than one reviewer has claimed. I just got done reading a book on it, and I'm ready to dive into another. Yes, the excellent "e-ink" look from the other Kindles is absent, but otherwise I see no problem at all with it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 20:15 Quboid

- Quboid

8. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 19:36 Shok

The Fire apps I seem to use the most are Readitlater and ezPDFReader...and the google reader app (once rooted) to keep updated on all my rss feeds. For games I keep coming back to Flight control; it's just a perfect tablet game. For streaming videos from my network I use an app called emit. My amazon prime trial is over but I'll probably subscribe to that again eventually also.  

7. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 17:18 Cram

Fion wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 13:02:
Gotta say as well, glowing reviews on the bluesnews forum says a lot as well.

Indeed. Am I on the right site?

6. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 13:02 Fion

Amazon Fire is indeed pretty awesome. I didn't get one for xmas (sad face) but I'm going to pick one up next month likely. My mother got one however and she loves the thing. I got to spend several hours really digging into it and I came away very impressed.

Gotta say as well, glowing reviews on the bluesnews forum says a lot as well.

5. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 12:23 Hyatus

Got my Fire on Christmas. Rooted it and now it's way more awesome(stupid Amazon trying to force me to register my CC with them just to download free apps).

The first one I got developed a line of dead pixels across the width within two days. I got the second one a couple of days ago and it seems fine.

I love it so much.

4. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 12:15 Prez

I am amazed at how much I love the Kindle Fire. Given the amount of trade-offs such an inexpensive media consumption device inevitably has when compared to full sized tablets (which I have absolutely zero interest in), none of its obvious relative shortcomings bother me in the least. I've barely put the damn thing down since I got it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 11:58 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 11:50:
I think I got mine in sept or oct and love it. Use it almost every day.

Yea, bought one the week they came out (the 79.00 one) then bought a fire on or around Dec 3rd. My Fire is used a ton by me and my wife. Was thinking about getting one for her.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

2. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 11:50 nin

I think I got mine in sept or oct and love it. Use it almost every day.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Mobilization Dec 29, 2011, 11:43 xXBatmanXx

Amazon moves 4 million Kindle units in December.

I love mine.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo