Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2011, 17:15 Jerykk

Voice acting adds. Imagine Fallout without the narrator? VTM: Bloodlines without Jack, et al. The problem is when you try to do it on the cheap like Bethsoft and keep using the same 3 or 4 voices for all the roles.

The narrator played an extremely minor role in Fallout. You only heard him during the intro and endings. The rest of the game was fine without VO. As for VtMB, I agree that the voice acting was an important part of the NPCs but the player was silent. This was good, as it allowed the designers to write completely unique dialogue for Malkavians, something they wouldn't have been able to do if the player character were voiced.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2011, 17:08 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 30, 2011, 09:18:
CNN of all places actually has a pretty good list.

I like that list. Maybe not the order, but overall...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2011, 09:18 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 11:50:
Sphinx has a decent list, although I wouldn't have TF2 in there at all....it has been out for a few years, and recently just went F2P.

The article
New games top a thrilling year
is actually a who's who of games this year. And if I only could play 10 or so games, I would have wanted to play the ones he mentions.

CNN of all places actually has a pretty good list.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2011, 07:26 Cutter

Voice acting adds. Imagine Fallout without the narrator? VTM: Bloodlines without Jack, et al. The problem is when you try to do it on the cheap like Bethsoft and keep using the same 3 or 4 voices for all the roles.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2011, 05:15 Jerykk

In some cases it can work well - the ME series would be a lesser game without it.

I'm inclined to disagree. Without a fully voiced player character, you could have a lot more role-playing possibilities in ME. Like the ability to play as a non-human. And more dialogue options. And most importantly, the ability to see exactly what you're going to say before you say it. I think the series would be better off with a silent protagonist.

Sadly, voice acting is hugely in demand.

Too true. There's a growing trend towards making games more "cinematic" at the expense of depth, challenge and interactivity. All style, no substance. It's a damn shame.

16. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 23:32 Bhruic

Voice acting does severely limit role-playing games.

Sadly, voice acting is hugely in demand. In some cases it can work well - the ME series would be a lesser game without it. But I still remember the flak that Age of Conan took because the starter island was fully voiced, but once off it, only some major questlines were. People complained like crazy. Personally, I didn't find it that big a deal. I find the voices in Skyrim much more annoying, simply because of the limited dialog.

15. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 22:47 Jerykk

Sphinx wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 14:42:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 14:03:
I still don't understand the fascination with TF2. Was better when it wasn't an RPG with hats.

Ppptthh.. I could murder anyone with a flamethrower. Hell I could train my 3 year old nephew to do that. It takes style to murder them with a flamethrower while wearing a sombrero, monocle, and a Southern Gentlemen's beard. Don't hate me cause I'm stylin'.

I like the hats. I just don't like the bazillion other weapons and items they've added since the game's original launch. Classes used to serve very specific roles but that's no longer the case, as a Demo can now be extremely effective at close range and Pyros can be effective at long range. Engineers can completely suppress another team thanks to the Wrangler and proper placement of turrets in certain chokepoints. Hell, Engineers can even use their own turrets to rocket jump to places they shouldn't be able to go.

Granted, there are still some vanilla servers still up and running but the majority of servers and players use the regular, non-vanilla mode.

14. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 21:13 Jerykk

I usually disagree with cliffski but in this case, he's right. Voice acting does severely limit role-playing games. If the player character were fully voiced, we would not be able to play as Orcs, Argonians or Khajitt because there simply wouldn't be enough time and money available to record that much unique VO. Same applies to NPC reactions, though part of the issue is that Bethesda just sucks in making reactive gameplay in general.  

13. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 17:35 J

I still don't understand the fascination with TF2. Was better when it wasn't an RPG with hats was TF.

FTFM

12. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 14:49 Beamer

Wasn't Ken Rolston lead on Oblivion?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 14:42 Sphinx

I still don't understand the fascination with TF2. Was better when it wasn't an RPG with hats.

Ppptthh.. I could murder anyone with a flamethrower. Hell I could train my 3 year old nephew to do that. It takes style to murder them with a flamethrower while wearing a sombrero, monocle, and a Southern Gentlemen's beard. Don't hate me cause I'm stylin'.

-Sphinx

10. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 14:03 xXBatmanXx

Sphinx wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 12:16:
Sphinx has a decent list, although I wouldn't have TF2 in there at all....it has been out for a few years, and recently just went F2P.

All the MORE reason to have it on there. With the monetary price point being a big fat zero to get started, the only variable cost to letting me and anyone else accumulate many more stylish hats is murdering other gamers. That's something most of us would gladly pay to do in any other game since most gamers -- including us here -- are jerks.

And Valve takes it one step further by giving us stylish headgear to prance around in while unleashing rockets and bullets.

What did BF3 give me, a new type of LMG or camo gear? Big woop. Give me a Kaiser Pickelhaube DICE and then I might get a bit more excited about your field of battle thing.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

9. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 12:20 Sphinx

Krovven wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 12:13:

But it wasnt released this year, thus should not qualify for GoTY. Titanic 3D comes out this year...I suppose it should be eligible for awards again?

Obviously you're right, it wasn't released this year but I was still playing it A LOT since I couldn't afford a lot of games to play so I have to work with what I got.

Of those games I reviewed I think I paid full $50-$60 price for maybe three of them. The rest were Steam sales this month or gifts from friends.

Now if you want to underwrite my game playing so I always have the freshest games on my reviews and lists I will GLADLY take your cash.

-Sphinx

8. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 12:16 Sphinx

All the MORE reason to have it on there. With the monetary price point being a big fat zero to get started, the only variable cost to letting me and anyone else accumulate many more stylish hats is murdering other gamers. That's something most of us would gladly pay to do in any other game since most gamers -- including us here -- are jerks.

And Valve takes it one step further by giving us stylish headgear to prance around in while unleashing rockets and bullets.

What did BF3 give me, a new type of LMG or camo gear? Big woop. Give me a Kaiser Pickelhaube DICE and then I might get a bit more excited about your field of battle thing.

-Sphinx

7. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 12:13 Krovven

PHJF wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 12:04:

And yet it's still the best non-competitive shooter out there. Imagine that.

But it wasnt released this year, thus should not qualify for GoTY. Titanic 3D comes out this year...I suppose it should be eligible for awards again?

6. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 12:04 PHJF

And yet it's still the best non-competitive shooter out there. Imagine that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 11:50 xXBatmanXx

The article
New games top a thrilling year
is actually a who's who of games this year. And if I only could play 10 or so games, I would have wanted to play the ones he mentions.

4. Re: A game devs thoughts Dec 29, 2011, 11:42 Ratty

Jeez, I wish I could find it now. I read an interview with Ken Rolston after his retirement and though he was cordial I couldn't help taking away the impression he was much unhappy with Bethesda's new direction of RPGs for the masses. He was never critical in the interview but he did say something along the lines of "Apparently voice acting is what all the kids want nowdays."

Voice acting is such a two-edged sword. On the one hand it really does make the game come alive. Yes, I loved that Oblivion introduced all spoken dialog. On the other hand, it's obvious: as the author states, voice acting is crippling to the AI. Without voice acting Skyrim could be an entirely different game with a whole new level of immersion. But I'd sure hate to see it go. Having partially spoken dialog like Morrowind just wouldn't do it for me though.

Ah, just looked it up again and found a reference in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion#Audio

3. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 11:34 nin

Well it's $24.99 at amazon, and they should give you a steam code, so chop chop.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2011, 11:30 Sphinx

I didn't get a chance to play it, sorry. I have to ration my budget for games nowadays and so I had to save up my pennies for Arkham City and some of the other games listed there. I keep trying to solicit free games and sell out like the cheap game hussy that I am to these game developers but no takers.

If I could back and change things I would not have bought Brink and probably would have tried DX instead. I'm a terrible person though and never even played Deus Ex when it came out in 2000. I think I was consumed with Quake 3 or Serious Sam co-op around that time.

-Sphinx

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo