Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well my prep work went smoothly, so I'm off for a tooth extraction tomorrow. This will be pretty early, so I'll most likely update afterwards: Hopefully I'll be on just the proper amount of painkillers to make it a fun update, rather than a missed one.

R.I.P.: James Rizzi, US pop artist, dies aged 61. Thanks Acleacius.

Prepped Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Zomblast.
Slow and Blow Pirates.
Stories: Less is more: Simple living in small spaces.
Foods So Spicy You Need A Waiver.
Science: Mosquitoes Pick Out Human Meals With Help from Microbes. Thanks nin.
More time at school 'boosts IQ'.
Bid to host Square Kilometre Array telescope.
Images: Matej Kren's 'Idiom': Fascinating Book Wormhole Overwhelms The Eye.
Grammar matters.
Media: Don Cherry's Piano Desk. Thanks Drexal.
What Dubstep Sounds Like to Your Parents.
The Funnies: Buttersafe.
Follow-up: Soyuz back in service after failed launch.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2011, 23:07 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 21:46:
MisterBenn wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 21:00:
I can relate to the need for lots of dental work! I've had 5 extracted teeth - 4 milk teeth when I was young and a fifth a few years back that had an abcess underneath... removing that one was agony. I had three rounds of root canal around the year 2000 as well! Finally, last year I had an overgrowth of gums due to being allergic to a medication, I almost had to have a gingivectomy where they shave away the excess gum tissue!!! Luckily I escaped that but they needed to clean underneath this new gumline where I couldn't keep it clean properly... that involved pulling the gums away from the teeth and it produced a lot of blood! Anyhow this all taught me that it's possible to learn a phobia from scrath, I was fine with dentists years ago but I hate it now!

MisterBenn (smashing the stereotype about British teeth)

Holy sheeit.

In my early teens I had braces and a nightmarish device to correct an overbite. Those piston-like rods are supposedly never supposed to come apart but I must have a big mouth because mine constantly did. "Mmm this burger is going to be great" *takes big first bite* intense surprising pain as unhooked free swinging metal rods spear into the roof and sometimes bottom of my mouth. Also the first few weeks that I had them on I really couldn't chew anything solid since my back teeth no longer touched together.

Fuck orthodontics.
My teeth were bad. I went through crazy times too (crazy setups, multiple surgeries, etc. since I was born with multiple disabilities) and still do (go to dentist almost monthly). I don't chew since I was born (mouth is jacked up due to tiny jaw and huge upper part).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2011, 15:15 Sepharo

My apartment looks palatial compared to those places but I don't doubt that I could live with a mattress and a computer desk.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2011, 11:32 xXBatmanXx

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 14:10:
Tiny houses?

When BBC says "for many Americans" what they mean is "for a handful of hipsters".

Then the article makes more sense.

ummm....yea....I went to his website, and watched the video for his business....

1. I wouldnt like to live in a tiny place that smells like my poop everytime I poop.
2. I don't think he likes sex
3. Can't/shoulnd't raise a family
4. Can't/shouldn't have a dog
5. Where would the hooker pole go?
6. I don't sleep comfortably on a hard surface with a matt

I could go on and on. My house isn't big, but it isn't small either. After we add a couple kids, it will actually feel kind of cramped at 2100 square feet. 4 bed, 1.5 bath.

That type of thing was fun when I was a little kid. As a Minnesotan, it looks like a fish house....and I wouldn't want to live in a fish house.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2011, 00:08 xXBatmanXx

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Just got Just Cause 2 for doing the Revenge of the Titans cheevo!!!!!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 22:38 PhysicalEd

Good luck Blue! Hope it goes smoothly...  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 21:46 Sepharo

MisterBenn wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 21:00:
I can relate to the need for lots of dental work! I've had 5 extracted teeth - 4 milk teeth when I was young and a fifth a few years back that had an abcess underneath... removing that one was agony. I had three rounds of root canal around the year 2000 as well! Finally, last year I had an overgrowth of gums due to being allergic to a medication, I almost had to have a gingivectomy where they shave away the excess gum tissue!!! Luckily I escaped that but they needed to clean underneath this new gumline where I couldn't keep it clean properly... that involved pulling the gums away from the teeth and it produced a lot of blood! Anyhow this all taught me that it's possible to learn a phobia from scrath, I was fine with dentists years ago but I hate it now!

Holy sheeit.

In my early teens I had braces and a nightmarish device to correct an overbite. Those piston-like rods are supposedly never supposed to come apart but I must have a big mouth because mine constantly did. "Mmm this burger is going to be great" *takes big first bite* intense surprising pain as unhooked free swinging metal rods spear into the roof and sometimes bottom of my mouth. Also the first few weeks that I had them on I really couldn't chew anything solid since my back teeth no longer touched together.

Fuck orthodontics.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 21:00 MisterBenn

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

10. and it fucking sucks donkey asshole Dec 29, 2011, 19:31 space captain

dubstep = disco  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 18:34 Ashley

Good luck tomorrow, Blue.

Had a similar situation and it was very easy thanks to the magic of nitrous oxide. Afterwards, over the counter painkillers were enough for me after the novacaine wore off.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 16:21 Cutter

Just got back from seeing Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and it was bloody marvelous! The entire cast was stellar. Gary Oldman was brilliant of course, but I really enjoyed Mark Strong's performance. It was also nice being in a theater of adults. It was so quiet you ould have heard a pin drop, that's how much people were into the film. The downside of course was the goddamed 15 minutes - yes I timed it - of advertisements before the film followed by another 5 of previews. And I thought theaters now had to show when the actual film started. Anyway, well worth seeing in the theater if you can, if not, a must rent/buy/ppv when it comes out. It'd be fantastic bit of cinema to to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon with a good bottle of wine or scotch. If it doesn't get several Oscar nods - the cinematography and music were incredibly good as well - than I give up on the Academy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 14:37 xXBatmanXx

More time at school 'boosts IQ'.

Shuold go right along with the article "sitting on the couch doing (insert ANY activity) increases risk of obesity".

It is amazing people can make money doing this "research".

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 14:10 Silicon Avatar

Tiny houses?

When BBC says "for many Americans" what they mean is "for a handful of hipsters".

Then the article makes more sense.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 13:11 Deadmeat

Stock up on juice, jelly and yoghurt which will let you eat/drink something to get the taste of blood out of your mouth. Cause there'll be heaps of blood to taste ;/

The worst (well, relatively speaking) thing about getting a tooth removed is when you eat potato chips (crisps?) they poke into the gummy bit where your tooth was and get stuck.

4. Re: Out of the Blue - toothy Dec 29, 2011, 11:45 Steelcamp

I can see bluesnews friday now:

UPDATE:

uh huh

:-)
X-0

dyrt....but

Um...some stufff hapenz and my dog said hi....

Ihaz a tank...........................................pew pew

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 11:39 mch

Don Cherry's Piano Desk is great. God, what loudmouth piece of shit he is.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 11:18 nin

What Dubstep Sounds Like to Your Parents.

Post of the day.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 11:17 RenownWolf

The Dubstep video sounds like shit, and is overly loud... Guess that makes it accurate!

I'm not even old and it sounds like ass. Yes I listen to various types of music, except country and now dubstep.

http://www.renownwolf.com

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo