Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned

Battlefield 3 lead designer Alan Kertz tweets about plans to nerf the Famas rifle from the Back to Karkand DLC for Battlefield 3: "After playing with and without fore grip on my FAMAS, not sure I could nerf it enough lol. Hmm, this one is a biiiiiiiiiit OP." The DICE weapons expert explains on reddit why he wasn't available to catch this prior to release:  "I was on vacation, I think the Back 2 Karkand team did a great job without me, and the FAMAS just demonstrates that the foregrip is OP. It's the only accessory without any downside. Given that the FAMAS is very difficult to use without the foregrip, I can't really blame the team on B2K for having an item from the base game OP one of their additions. We'll get this sorted out and in the mean time, it's still only good at mid to close range." Thanks BF3blog.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 30, 2011, 07:12 Dmitri_M

Yeah I was in much the same position a few days ago on the karkland TDM map. A group of snipers were parachuting and using their...flying robot things (I've never used recon kit) to airlift themselves (FIX THAT BEFORE THE FAMAS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) onto the central skyscraper on the map and effectively camped the entire game to pieces. I got the hell in and set about mortaring the top of the skyscraper. I never use mortar except to clear out these lazy fuckers. The mortaring set off a giant bitchfest on the part of the snipers. The items and the weapons were clearly tested by people unaccustomed to the sorts of exploits experienced fps players will devise. I imagine a designer/testing department full of gamepads, beanbags and inkjet printouts of cats.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 29, 2011, 14:35 venomhed

I'd love to punch this guy in the face. Sniper rifles fire faster and are more powerful than Mortars? I saw a sniper last night, wide open, setup my mortar, blasted him with two direct hits, found he moved, and a 3rd hit finally killed him.

Meanwhile all the snipers have a 12x zoom, semi auto, 1 shot 1 kill rifle with up to 1700 meter range.....

Please come to the bay area Alan Kertz, my fists are waiting for your jaw!

33. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 23:38 eRe4s3r

Yeah i find ECM to be an awesome perk all around, unless theres a lot of stingers around, if theres too many people with stinger ecm is not gonna save you.

I love flying in BF3 and was happy with flares for a long while until the soflam guys got annoying enough that i checked what ECM does (and it does a lot more than flares)

32. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 22:59 Dmitri_M

Panickd wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 18:44:
Perhaps you didn't read the whole of my last thought: Great potential but shitty unbaked execution.

So you were expecting them to innovate beyond what they achieved with previous BF games, or perhaps not regress as they have on voip and the bottlenecked maps?

These days the best you can expect is "as good as a 10 year old game". See Dues Ex HR.

31. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 22:58 bhcompy

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 20:06:

One thing though, if you ever try to take down a jet with ECM perk with a javelin... forget it. These jets pilots can activate a sustained jammer against ALL (and multiple) missiles and often just fly straight up and jam once they hear a firing ping. Theres no way to down these with ground based weapons.

Actually, if it's firing it seems to be too late. I pop ECM while being targeted as a jet. And yes, ECM>Flares for the most part

30. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 20:06 eRe4s3r

I can only give you like.. 3 pointers.. its hit and miss.. a good pilot you will NEVER destroy with just 1 engineer doing stinger duty.

1) What you see, is not what the server sees. Just because it doesn't say locked, doesn't mean you can't shoot. There is a ever so slight delay between locked and shot (and between actual lock and client displays lock lock) So paint a heli and keep clicking fire, notice it fires BEFORE the lock appears.

2) Now that he popped flares aim somewhere at the heli where theres no flares in between heli and your targeting reticule. If you paint a heli with flares in the reticule it won't work. But you have some freedom where to actually point the targeting thing. As soon as you see the tracer tone again keep pressing fire until it fires and don't wait for the lock text. Its a guaranteed hit, haven't seen any pilot/gunner combo yet that suspected a quick refiring, most of the time when they hear the stinger and shot ping they dive behind the landscape, gives you time. Also makes it impossible to destroy them ;/

3) If all fails, find a server where people read the chat, ask for soflam at the heli and take javelin yourself. Best if its in your squad. Javelin is a 100% kill against flares.

One thing though, if you ever try to take down a jet with ECM perk with a javelin... forget it. These jets pilots can activate a sustained jammer against ALL (and multiple) missiles and often just fly straight up and jam once they hear a firing ping. Theres no way to down these with ground based weapons.

29. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 18:44 Panickd

bhcompy wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 14:38:
Panickd wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 14:09:
I don't understand how a game with so many blatant flaws/bugs/bad design can have so many people who love it.

It's because there's nothing else like it.

Yeah, except BF2 and it's various vestiges (BC, BC2) most of which had working VOIP (and most of which were far less buggy).

Perhaps you didn't read the whole of my last thought: Great potential but shitty unbaked execution.

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 17:04:
So are they changing the FAMAS, or the foregrip? The quote seems to indicate the latter...

The way I read it is that the foregrip makes the FAMAS too accurate but the FAMAS on it's own is fine so they'll either nerf the foregrip accuracy for the FAMAS or deep-six the FAMAS foregrip altogether.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2011, 18:49.

28. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 18:30 LittleMe

Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 12:48:
edit:To explain the shooting before the lock on... the game is sometimes out of sync by a second or so. I've run around the corner of a building while under fire several times and after rounding the corner died from bullets hitting me which clearly couldn't have hit me since there is no longer a line of site. So how could they hit me? Because on the other end (the guy firing at me or the server side) I'm still out in the open. Been the same with all the Dice games that I can remember... at least.

BF2 this wasn't an issue for me. BF3 this is a serious problem. It's a way to hide latency (lag) at the cost of realistic behavior. I really hope they fix this. I've been down behind cover for up to 2 seconds and still taking hits as if I was in the open due to this 'bug.'

Perpetual debt is slavery.

27. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 17:04 jacobvandy

So are they changing the FAMAS, or the foregrip? The quote seems to indicate the latter...  

26. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 16:56 Kosumo

+1 to classic Thumbsup Matshock  

25. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 15:56 Wildone

I also believe the choppers can lock up jets at further distances, I see them sometimes just hovering at the edge of my radar and locking me up, before I can get close to them they have fired 2 heat seekers at me whilst pinging me with cannon. I can either fly try to outrun them or fly at and over the top of them. By the time I lock up my heatseekers on a chopper Im virtually at guns distance anyway..so its definitely skewed in their favor again!  

24. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 15:55 Agent.X7

Matshock wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 12:51:
A man never fires his stinger before the chopper fires her flares.

I understand, I understand, it's exciting but you just need to think about your K/D ratio or something until the time is right.

Haha, awesome.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 15:52 Wildone

Once they pop flares, you lose your lock and it resets the timer again of your stinger/Heatseeker. With beem scanning I can re-aquire faster BUT (in the case of jets) the heatseeker reload is the same, so its cancelled out in effect. The only way to get them is if someone else already spoofed them like that and you can sneak in and get 1 shot..but 1 shot wont down them or even half. They are that tough.  

22. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:45 Bucky

Matshock wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 14:01:
Seriously though, the pilot/gunner hear a lock tone when you've got a SAM locked on them- they don't get an actual launch warning.

Just wait for them to pop flares, wait a second or two depending on how fast they're moving then fire.

Actually, there's a lock tone and then there's a 'pinging' tone when the missile is actively tracking you. I know better than to pop the flares before the missile is on the way, though occasionally it's on me too fast to even get the flares off.

With that said, I've found focusing on the ground game to be more effective for me. While everyone else is flying around and neutralizing each other I'm running around capturing flags.

21. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:38 bhcompy

Panickd wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 14:09:
I don't understand how a game with so many blatant flaws/bugs/bad design can have so many people who love it.

It's because there's nothing else like it.

20. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:31 DangerDog

I don't know why they bother putting so many different rifles in the game when they just turn around and make them all the same (within each class anyway).  

19. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:20 Dmitri_M

I have found the action too intense and fun to spend so much time nitpicking the issues you mention.

I'm too busy averaging in the top 3 players on the TDM servers I frequent

18. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:09 Panickd

I don't understand how a game with so many blatant flaws/bugs/bad design can have so many people who love it. I am forever finding "holes" in maps that let you drop below the level where you can walk around and shoot people above you but they can't hit you or rounding corners and taking a few steps only to drop dead from bullets that shouldn't have had any way of hitting me unless the shooter is doing some crazy magic bullet Matrix shit. On top of that I've been killed by enemies while the deathcam clearly shows them running around with 0% health raining hot death on everyone no matter how many times they're shot. And who releases a tactical FPS in 2011 without VOIP? When admins have to set rules on "base raping" to keep a level playfield, something is clearly wrong with a map's basic design!

I really think OP weapons are the least of this game's problems. I honestly can't play for more than an hour at a time without getting disgusted by all crap that's wrong with it and all the people exploiting it. BF3 has some great potential but it sure as hell wasn't complete (or "done") when they released it.

17. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:01 Matshock

Seriously though, the pilot/gunner hear a lock tone when you've got a SAM locked on them- they don't get an actual launch warning.

Just wait for them to pop flares, wait a second or two depending on how fast they're moving then fire.

16. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 13:58 Wildone

YES. And thats total B.S. imho. Jets only get 1 round, choppers have a pilot who can lock you up, plus a gunner who can tag you but like whats been said all I can do is come in from above or behind (as long as no one else is chasing me or locking me on the ground)  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo