Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Stats

EA and BioWare announce more numbers from the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic, their new Force-powered MMORPG. Word is: "Over this past weekend, players continued to flood the servers of the fastest-growing subscription MMO in history, immersing themselves in the game for over 5.5 million hours. Star Wars: The Old Republic is also proving to be a critical smash hit, with an average review score of 88*, making it the highest rated MMO of 2011, while also winning over 105 industry awards, including “Best Multiplayer Game of 2011” from MSNBC. Enthusiasm for The Old Republic has also gone viral, as over 1.6 million fans have viewed the Jedi vs. Sith Freeze Mob in Times Square on launch day, making it one of the most viewed videos on YouTube during this past weekend." Here is a breakdown:

• Over 60 million in-game hours – roughly equivalent to watching all six Star Wars movies over 4 million times
  • Over 850,000 Sith Warriors and over 810,000 Jedi Knights created
  • Over 260 million quests completed
  • Over 44 million PvP battles
  • Over 9 million space combat missions completed
  • Over 3 billion NPCs killed

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

48. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 20:22 Acleacius

CreamyBlood wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 19:57:
Has anyone here tried Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)?
Several people play from RPGWatch, here's a thread if you want to take a look.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 20:18 Hatyara

CreamyBlood wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 19:57:
But seriously, how does DDO stack up against WoW (never played it) or this new game? I'm having a good time when I'm in the dungeons.

You can play WoW for free now, level cap is 20 and you cannot join a guild or whisper players. Give it a go

46. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:57 CreamyBlood

Has anyone here tried Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)?

I'm not a fan of MMO's but it lets you play for free and has a suprising amount of depth, much more than an Oblivion or or KoTOR (not that that's hard to do). I was surprised at how simple it seems at first then slowly drags you into the game. I mean, Grey Oozes wreck your weapons and if you're using swords instead of bashing they'll split up into more oozes.

I realize that it doesn't have full voice acting or advertisments like I just watched but there's a lot of complexity in the mechanics. Perhaps it gets boring after awhile, I don't know but I've been mostly just playing it as a single player game and am having fun. I'd have to say it's one of the few games released in the last *many* years that actually feels like, get this, an RPG.

Yes, it has text, and isn't great writing although sometimes I get a chuckle. I'm finding some of the dungeons are kicking my ass now that I'm up a few levels. From a purely FPS persepective, they are kind of devious. Throw in the Dungeon Master voice overs, the D&D rules and it gives a bit of flavour.

I guess I'm just saying that I'm pleasantly surprised with it and think it might actually be a good game. At least, so far, a not too shabby RPG.

As to Bioware, I've had trouble thinking of them as game developers for several years now. I suppose if watching a bunch of people in New York take iPhone pictures of your fake flash mob of Star Wars geeks is the way to sell a game, then go for it. I thought it was kind of creepy and almost desperate. But who knows, maybe there's a video game under the massive facade somewhere. From experience though I think they should just make Halo XXX with romance and get rid of any pretext of having any gameplay or RPG elements.

But seriously, how does DDO stack up against WoW (never played it) or this new game? I'm having a good time when I'm in the dungeons.

45. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:49 Fibrocyte

TurdFergasun wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 19:28:
so has this been cancelled and re-made into a facebook game yet?

No ma'am, it hasn't. It's too good and too successful for that.

Back to Farmville with you.

44. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:41 heroin

It can be both fun and a waste of time, it is a MMO. If I'm not convinced it is worth delving into until the end by paying a subscription then I would be wasting my time now wouldnt I?

It may be subjective, but lets not forget that Blizzard created their art style and everything in it. But, one thing is for certain ambient and environmental sound just simply aren't there in the way it was implemented in BC going forward in this Star Wars MMO.

43. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:29 Hatyara

TurdFergasun wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 19:28:

I think when Blizzard releases Titan this game will be done.

42. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:28 TurdFergasun

41. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:21 Hatyara

My character is level 33 so I have gone to Nar Shadda - it was not that great, I am up to Taris at the moment. I don't know much about Star Wars lore so I would not know what is good or bad, I just feel that the world environments while looking great graphically are not as well put together as they could be. When your standing there you just don't get the full immersion, maybe some work on the sound department would fix that.

I would rather queue up for a group and do things in the world, like archeology or daily quests or tradeskills etc then sit there sitting spamming in general that I need a healer or DPS to finish a heroic quest or a flashpoint.

Also, disclaimer, I have not played any Bioware game before. This is the first bioware title I have played.

40. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 19:09 Kawlisse

heroin wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 18:29:
Dragon Age is a better singleplayer game than this. KOTOR I and II, better than this, ME I and II better than this.

And yet WoW is still a much better MMO in all aspects. Art, ambient sound, music, sound in general, spell effects, mechanics... everything.

Its still fun, but definitely not paying for a sub for this complete waste of time. Not sure if I will ever pay for a sub or digital assets for a MMO ever. Spent over $1K on WoW. That is a lot of money that I wont spend on WoW wannabes. Stupid capitalists.

Wow, better arts, ambient sound and music and the spell effects!!! what are you smoking ???

And you seem to contradict yourself, "its still fun, not paying for this complete waste of time" well stay in wow please... we dont need your kind

39. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 18:51 Bad Dos

Hatyara wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 18:33:
You nailed it here, flying around Azeroth in between dungeon/raidfinder queues and doing archaeology you really do get to appreciate the work that went into building the game world. I don't get this feeling in SWTOR.

That is exactly what is wrong with wow now. You find stuff to do in between queues, in swtor you actually have to adventure to get to the dungeons!

38. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 18:51 Trevellian

Hatyara wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 18:33:
You nailed it here, flying around Azeroth in between dungeon/raidfinder queues and doing archaeology you really do get to appreciate the work that went into building the game world. I don't get this feeling in SWTOR.

lol you obviously haven't been to planets like Hoth or Belsavis, hell even the earlier Nar Shadda.
Keep your "I barely played the game and saw Dromund Kass" opinions to yourself.

It's obvious great work and art went into the planets. It very much feels like Star Wars. Hell of a lot more interesting than half the zones in WoW.

Also the Agent storyline alone has been worth playing the game. And I am sure I'll put just as much time into the other storylines.

Personally I'd rather have to use general chat, and find people to group with for their Heroic 4 man quests, etc. Than sit in a fucking queue all day. That became my issue with WoW and with Rift. Queue, Queue, Queue. No exploration or wandering around the beautifully designed world involved. This is why I miss games like Everquest as well.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

37. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 18:48 space captain

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 16:37:
Have a friend with two 50's already.

sounds like a fun guy

Go forth, and kill!

36. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 18:33 Hatyara

35. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 18:29 heroin

Dragon Age is a better singleplayer game than this. KOTOR I and II, better than this, ME I and II better than this.

And yet WoW is still a much better MMO in all aspects. Art, ambient sound, music, sound in general, spell effects, mechanics... everything.

Its still fun, but definitely not paying for a sub for this complete waste of time. Not sure if I will ever pay for a sub or digital assets for a MMO ever. Spent over $1K on WoW. That is a lot of money that I wont spend on WoW wannabes. Stupid capitalists.

34. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 18:23 Flatline

Hatyara wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 17:01:
I play in between raiding in WoW. The game is okay but the combat is a little weird and this is made worse with the ability lag which is a major issue. There is around a 0.5sec lag in abilities, you can test this by simply trying to mount onto your speeder.

The lag is the oddest part. I'm almost positive it's server-side, and has really odd effects. Your mouse cursor sticks, you get lag bubbles, things warp around, your charge abilities cancel (this REALLY pisses me off when it happens) but your ping is rock solid and your FPS doesn't dip at all. The cursor sticking is the oddest part. There's no reason for that at all. My hard drive isn't getting hit, and what monitoring I can do doesn't seem like the CPU is getting nailed. It seems like you're not allowed to do anything, even move the cursor around, unless you're talking to the server.

33. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 17:26 Hatyara

I play on Wound in the Force, 5 minute queue times.  

32. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 17:23 Steelcamp

I like BF3 much more
LittleMe,

Find me on origin for BF3 PC

On SWTOR I am waiting a bit. The queue times suck from what I understand.

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

31. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 17:06 LittleMe

A friend bought a copy for me. It's alright. I'm not that much of an MMORPG type though. I like BF3 much more. I'm much more excited about the Skyrim mmo/multiplayer mod but that will take a while yet.

These MMO's are in a way, not really a game but more of an avatar/alter ego creator that takes weeks/months to do.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

30. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 17:01 Hatyara

I play in between raiding in WoW. The game is okay but the combat is a little weird and this is made worse with the ability lag which is a major issue. There is around a 0.5sec lag in abilities, you can test this by simply trying to mount onto your speeder.  

29. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 16:37 Ozmodan

Have a friend with two 50's already. Now he is into raiding so makes sense for him, but what about all those that don't raid? Usually only 10-15% of the playerbase raids. That sounds like major server merges sometime this summer.

The worlds are small and with all the transportation in game there is little feeling of exploration or challenge. It is a single player Bioware game with an element of multiplayer thrown in.

I passed on this game, the beta was fun, but could not see $60 for a month of this. Even the crafting is too easy.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo