Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M

Humble Mumble notes that the Humble Indie Bundle 4 has surpassed the $2 million sales threshold. Word is: "With four days left and a record-breaking 380,000 plus bundles sold, Humble Indie Bundle 4 may become the biggest bundle ever. It seems like only yesterday that Jeff and I had launched the first Humble Indie Bundle and were pulling consecutive all-nighters to make sure no customers were left behind." A previous post also explains that the new $1.00 minimum purchase price to be eligible for Steam keys is to stop people from gaming the system: "Hey guys, we’ve noticed that a number of un-humble users are buying lots of Humble Indie Bundle 4’s for one penny, and then using their Steam codes to “legitimize” automated Steam accounts in order to increase their odds of winning prizes in Valve’s current raffle promotion. This is unfair to legitimate entrants and is definitely not what we wanted to encourage with Humble Indie Bundle 4. It’s a lose-lose situation for the indie developers, charities, Valve, and Humble Bundle."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 27, 2011, 07:31 InBlack

space captain wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 18:59:
havent bought any of these nor do i plan to, but if you dont want your customers to do a certain thing, then dont give them a wide open opportunity and invite them to do it

just dont give them a chance.. instead of letting them do it and then getting on the high horse of moral superiority to lavish them with "tsk tsk"s

its fucking stupid

QFT

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 27, 2011, 05:23 Veterator

Plus being one of the first and having charities associated with it gives it a higher profile. But yes I think their game selection AND them giving out extra stuff each bundle keeps people coming back including the previous bundle and what not.

12. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 21:59 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 19:33:
Pretty impressive numbers. It's sad that the Humble Bundle is the only one to get those kind of numbers, though. The other bundles aren't nearly as successful.

The Humble Bundles tend to get the best indie games though. The other bundles have only usually had about one game I actually wanted to play.

11. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 20:02 Kitkoan

Jerykk wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 19:33:
Pretty impressive numbers. It's sad that the Humble Bundle is the only one to get those kind of numbers, though. The other bundles aren't nearly as successful.

I think part of it is because this bundle is the only one that has all of its games on all 3 major platforms and all their games are DRM free.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

10. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 19:33 Jerykk

9. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 19:18 space captain

if thats how you want to read it, then go ahead

faith in humanity... lol

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 19:01 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 18:59:
havent bought any of these nor do i plan to, but if you dont want your customers to do a certain thing, then dont give them a wide open opportunity and invite them to do it

just dont give them a chance.. instead of letting them do it and then getting on the high horse of moral superiority to lavish them with "tsk tsk"s

its fucking stupid

I see your faith in humanity is at an all time low.

And a bah humbug to you sir.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

7. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 18:59 space captain

its fucking stupid

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 17:07 Slashman

killer_roach wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 17:00:
Slashman wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 14:19:
Yeah. A one dollar minimum just makes sense.

Agreed. I had all the games in this Bundle except Shank, so, after buying a Bundle for my younger brother, I bought another one for $1 just so I could get a Steam key for Shank... and even then felt bad about it (then again, being an enthusiastic purchaser of all the previous Bundles, maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself for partially cheaping out this once).

I don't think that's bad at all. I'm fine as long as they get something. That's the whole point of the bundle...they always get at least $5 from me each bundle.

5. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 17:00 killer_roach

Slashman wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 14:19:

Agreed. I had all the games in this Bundle except Shank, so, after buying a Bundle for my younger brother, I bought another one for $1 just so I could get a Steam key for Shank... and even then felt bad about it (then again, being an enthusiastic purchaser of all the previous Bundles, maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself for partially cheaping out this once).

4. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 16:35 Dev

Note that you STILL can do 1 cent or under $1 contributions and get the games. You just wont get STEAM keys for doing so. Unless someone is really hard up, I recommend paying at least a dollar though.

tony wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 12:20:
They should have made a $1 minimum from the start. The transaction fees make anything less than a ~30 cent contribution a loss.
I agree that they shoulda done $1 minimum from the start, and not just for steam, but for all of it.

I'm not sure about the loss thing though, I've read somewhere that anything under about 30 cents, paypal just eats the entire thing but doesn't charge fees beyond the transaction. I don't know for sure though.

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2011, 16:49.

3. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 14:19 Slashman

2. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 13:56 Shok

The more popular Steam becomes the more morons start using it I guess. Gaming it by buying indie bundles for .01 is pretty low though. It would be awesome if Valve IP banned a bunch of accounts found doing this. That would never happen for various technical reasons but it would still be awesome.  

1. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 26, 2011, 12:20 tony

They should have made a $1 minimum from the start. The transaction fees make anything less than a ~30 cent contribution a loss. I imagine there are more people who give less than 25 cents than there are people who give between 26 and 99 cents, so cutting those extremely cheap transactions out will probably save money.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo