Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost

The Bethesda Softworks Forums have a thread on a new utility for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim claiming to offer framerate improvements of up to 40% on CPU-constrained systems (thanks Acleacius). Here's the skinny:

This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities. It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.

There has been some confusion about the original dll file and the current one for Script dragon. Script Dragon's dinput8.dll is 592kb The non working TESV Accelerator dinput.dll is 74kb

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

40. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 05:57 Luke

My god peps buying a game then have to make it run probably with all kinds of tweaks and so forth its just one big console game and people are jumping up and down over it saying "game of the year"
This piece of shit can never be the game of the year if you have to be somekind of mini programmer to get it to run probably copy paste this copy paste that gezzz Clown

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 05:18 Jerykk

Why on earth would I be ashamed of buying a game from a studio that doesn't port, but rather enhances ANDadds modding tools to some of the deepest games made today?

Erm, Bethesda definitely does port their games to PC. The console-centric UI is pretty much indisputable evidence of that, along with the fact that all the official media is taken from the Xbox build (as has been the case since Oblivion). While I applaud Bethesda for making their games highly moddable and supporting modders with official tools, I can't applaud them for the quality of the ports themselves. Skyrim is a good game but a mediocre port.

38. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 04:41 eRe4s3r

Chances are, if they are fully focused on Console development, there is no coder around that even knows what optimizations flags are or what they do for PC.  

37. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 03:11 LittleMe

Yeah if this was a mission critical application, being cautious about speculating is appropriate. But this is a game and we are getting poor relative performance in cities and some other areas and then these experienced and known individuals point out apparently obvious discrepancies in how Skyrim PC was compiled. I'm inclined to believe them.

Sure, maybe compiling it with those flags on makes the game unstable but that again points to problems with Bethesda's methods more than anything else. There's a recurring theme here with their lack of attention with developing for the PC platform.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

36. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 02:43 Tanto Edge

Naysayers be damned. Anybody complaining about "modders not knowing what they're doing" is a damned retard.

Doctors 'practice' medicine.
In this case, some 'doctors' are 'practicing their medicine' on Bethesda's beautiful creation, and have had positive effect.

If you're worried about your precious save file (and those many hours you've spent organizing your fucking potion shelves) then copy/paste them into an encrypted rar, burn it to a bluray and cram it up your ass.
Entitled little know it all shits.

Bethesda has demonstrated that PC gaming is worth supporting, and the community has demonstrated that they will support a good game.
As a result, the community has figured shit out, and either we can expect an official patch or enjoy the fruits of the community as it stands.

Either way, bravo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

35. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 01:33 ^Drag0n^

Why on earth would I be ashamed of buying a game from a studio that doesn't port, but rather enhances ANDadds modding tools to some of the deepest games made today?

I really don't understand a lot of this Bethesda-Hate. Most of the issues people are having are not poor programming on behalf of the developer, but rather poor programming of other programs/utilities people are running (see my previous report on ThreatFire).

I actually shelled out the coin for the CE, as I'm not just a fan of Bethesda's games, but also a fan of how they treat the mod community.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

34. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 01:01 KilrathiAce

Another example why console ports and games that are console developed first PC 2nd are bad thing for PC gaming no matter what. People who paid full price for PC version at release need to be ashamed, you paid full for a product that was just thrown together off console version. Hopefully Bethesda actually puts this into official patch, if they don't sad.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

33. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 23:43 Ant

^Drag0n^ wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 13:53:
Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 13:36:
Whoohoo! Just picked up Skyrim for $40!

Seems that this should be my last purchase for the Christmas sale period since I got Deus Ex:HR for $10 earlier this morning!!!

I can now sit back and bask in my overloaded games list and wonder when I'll actually get around to playing everything... Sweatdrop

You're not doing that already?

Damn these Steam sales....more games than i'll ever play!

;-)

^D^
I refuse to get any since I still haven't finish my old ones from years ago!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

32. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 20:34 Bhruic

It's the scripting I'm worried about, something doesn't get set and 4 quests later, the main plot leads me to an impossible situation. Even if I have saves from before hand, it's a pain in the ass to retrace my steps.

There's no quest that you can't fix via the console, even on the off-chance that you did have something go wrong.

31. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 19:57 Gen7

Not always that simple. Sometimes a flag gets flipped that you don't see the effects of until other conditions are met that make the crash occur.

Didn't say it was. This mod doesn't affect anything permanently with the game, it's changing the way the game runs the code, using SKSE, and the issues due to the bug in the first release disappeared when disabling the mod.

30. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 19:49 Suddenly_Dead

A bunch of non-inlined getters running around sounds pretty weird, I wonder if/how/why that happened.  

29. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 19:46 Jerykk

Third, I know it's fun to bash developers, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet that Bethesda actually screwed something up. Without actually seeing the original project files used to compile the code, wild-ass guesses and rampant speculation are about all anybody has.

I think the fact that framerates drop by 50% in cities is sufficient evidence that Bethesda didn't do a very good job optimizing this console port.

28. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 18:57 Kastagir

In case anyone is wondering just what was "wrong" with the previous version of this mod, there was a typo in the code that prevented certain scripts from firing, particularly some events in the tutorial (cave-ins and such). Also, forges found in dungeons and other areas were invisible. The newest version seems to fix these issues.  

27. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 16:49 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 16:18:
It doesn't matter what experience they have with Oblivion or Fallout, this is a whole new engine.

Ha!

It's the scripting I'm worried about, something doesn't get set and 4 quests later, the main plot leads me to an impossible situation. Even if I have saves from before hand, it's a pain in the ass to retrace my steps.

Still, I would like a few more FPS in Markarth. I've no idea if that's CPU or GPU but it can crawl there.

That can't happen in the main plot. Everything is straight-forward. Do this, and this triggers, making you do that, after which so and so triggers, etc. It's all linear.

Markarth is heavily CPU bound. A lot of the gains are found in Markarth and Whiterun.

Creston

26. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 16:18 Quboid

It doesn't matter what experience they have with Oblivion or Fallout, this is a whole new engine.

Ha!

Still, I would like a few more FPS in Markarth. I've no idea if that's CPU or GPU but it can crawl there.

- Quboid

25. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 16:12 space captain

Aero wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 15:23:
It's kind of odd that there would be any x87 FPU code in there to begin with. There's not a lot of reasons to use that anymore.

i would not be surprised if there are legacy bits of coding from the daggerfall days, or at least similar logic

Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 15:59 ^Drag0n^

Gen7 wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 14:35:

The thing that scares me about this is I install it, something goes wrong 5 hours later and I've lost my 100 hour game. For basic mods I'm confident this is fine but something deeper like this? I don't fancy it, not yet.

Back up your saves. They're in Documents/MyGames/Skyrim. It's Copy and Paste from there.

Not always that simple. Sometimes a flag gets flipped that you don't see the effects of until other conditions are met that make the crash occur.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

23. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 15:23 Aero

It's kind of odd that there would be any x87 FPU code in there to begin with. There's not a lot of reasons to use that anymore. Also software that only works properly with optimizations disabled is usually a sign of bad code (though isn't uncommon to see)--fixes bugs that the developer doesn't really understand, but it works, so they leave it be.

Interesting insight to the engine. That said, without any mods or anything, it ran pretty well for me and except for one crash early on has been completely stable for almost 70 hours of play, and only once did I have to load a savegame because an event didn't trigger properly.

22. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 15:01 Fletch

@DrEvil

I'm not a programmer, so I couldn't even speculate. All I know is anecdotal. It crashed before the hack and susequent patch, and now it doesn't. If they actually used magic pixie dust... great, because that shit worked.

21. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 15:01 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 13:33:
The thing that scares me about this is I install it, something goes wrong 5 hours later and I've lost my 100 hour game. For basic mods I'm confident this is fine but something deeper like this? I don't fancy it, not yet.

Not gonna happen. It doesn't alter any files; it's an SKSE plugin. If you find it goes wrong somewhere, you delete the plugin, and there's no harm done. That's the beauty of using a plugin. You can genuinely use this free of worry.
Edit : I guess you're talking about a script messing up. I suppose it's possible something like that might happen where a proper stage wouldn't get set, and that one particular quest would break. So I'll grant you that. You could still fix that with the setstage command, however.

The SKSE guys have been writing this stuff since Oblivion. They likely know Bethesda's engine as well as the guys at Bethesda themselves.

Edit : Lots of worried people in this thread. :Shrug: I'm happily getting 10 extra FPS in certain areas. Game on, fellas.

Creston

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo