Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost

The Bethesda Softworks Forums have a thread on a new utility for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim claiming to offer framerate improvements of up to 40% on CPU-constrained systems (thanks Acleacius). Here's the skinny:

This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities. It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.

There has been some confusion about the original dll file and the current one for Script dragon. Script Dragon's dinput8.dll is 592kb The non working TESV Accelerator dinput.dll is 74kb

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

60. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 26, 2011, 20:01 Jerykk

all tho in ME1 i do seem to remmeber thinking on the PC "ffs, why is the diolog options still designed for a pad" - mind you they use that wheel even on there mmo, and thats pc only.

Yeah, the conversation wheel is an unfortunate abomination that Bioware insists on using these days. I much prefer a traditional dialogue tree where I can see exactly what I'm going to say before I say that.

I think Bioware likes the conversation wheel because it makes it easier for them to arrange options for moral alignment. In the ME games, the Paragon options are always in the upper left or right-hand corners of the wheel, while the Renegade options are always in the lower left or right-hand corners. Combined with the color-coded options, you have a system where players can get the moral alignment they desire without actually having to read or listen to any of the dialogue.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 26, 2011, 08:04 Theo

All good arguements i got nothing really

in my defense its such a long time since i played ME1 i probably am confusing it with 2 so much.

2 imo, wasnt good on the ui front on the pc, i own it on both the 360 and the pc; only finished it on the xbox. (mainly due to i can never get through a BW game more than once). all tho in ME1 i do seem to remmeber thinking on the PC "ffs, why is the diolog options still designed for a pad" - mind you they use that wheel even on there mmo, and thats pc only.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

58. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 26, 2011, 06:31 Jerykk

Have played masseffect on both platforms. I stand by what i said for that game, i have not played dragon age. The layouts are very "efficent" on the console if you are using a pad. Changes for the Pc version were retro fitted to make it useable on the PC, is was still minamalistic in terms of UI conversion. Better than skyrim by i mile i grant you; its still not a good example.

I'm not really sure how you can call it minimalistic. For one, the Xbox version of ME1 didn't even let you order your squad members to move to specific positions. That was added in the PC version. Secondly, replacing a radial menu with a hotbar is a significant change. Finally, if your entire argument is based solely on the ME games, you really need to play the rest of Bioware's ports. I'm basing my argument on KOTOR, Jade Empire, ME1, ME2, DAO and DA2. They were all good ports, though ME2 was the weakest in terms of PC-centric UI changes.

Thats fair comment, i am well aware of how development works (give you know, done it for a living); it still adds time at the end of the process though - as you should know / any diversion of code (and UI is basically just that and a tiny amount of art) adds to testing and bugging time.

The PC UI would have to be specifically tested anyway, even if it were the same as the console UI. It doesn't matter if the UI is PC-centric or not, it needs the same amount of testing regardless.

57. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 26, 2011, 06:09 Theo

Jerykk wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 05:48:
PS: biowears redesign of ui's is minimal at best, really not a good example; they do the bear minimum to make it work on a pc; its not like that dam convo wheel wasnt invented for a 360 pad ffs.

I think you really need to play the console versions to see just how different the UI really are. The PC versions of Dragon Age have hotbars, resized fonts and icons, re-arranged layouts, etc. The Mass Effect games have the same (though less effort was put into ME2's UI). Conversely, the console versions of these games had large fonts, large icons, less efficient layouts and relied heavily on radial menus.

Have played masseffect on both platforms. I stand by what i said for that game, i have not played dragon age. The layouts are very "efficent" on the console if you are using a pad. Changes for the Pc version were retro fitted to make it useable on the PC, is was still minamalistic in terms of UI conversion. Better than skyrim by i mile i grant you; its still not a good example.

Out of interest, would you have liked skyrim to have a better UI and PC specific tweeks at the expense of content for all platforms?

That's not how development works. Level designers, environmental artists, character artists, scripters, riggers, etc, don't work on UI. Typically, there's one UI designer/artist and one UI programmer. That's it. These two people could have easily made a better PC UI without sacrificing any of the game's other content. Hell, a modder made a better UI in a matter of weeks and that wasn't even his full-time job. It's not like salaried employees get paid extra based on how much work they do. Not in the games industry. They could have designed a PC-centric UI without paying them even a cent more.

Thats fair comment, i am well aware of how development works (give you know, done it for a living); it still adds time at the end of the process though - as you should know / any diversion of code (and UI is basically just that and a tiny amount of art) adds to testing and bugging time.

There's really no valid excuse for Bethesda's laziness. They, like most other publishers and developers, are content with simply making sure that their ports are functional, rather than ideal. Despite the lackluster DA2, I have to give credit to Bioware for the effort they put into their ports. Even DA2 was a good port, if not a good game.

Ill take your word for it, as mentioned i didnt play it for longer than it took to realise they were copying and pasting content.

56. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 26, 2011, 05:48 Jerykk

PS: biowears redesign of ui's is minimal at best, really not a good example; they do the bear minimum to make it work on a pc; its not like that dam convo wheel wasnt invented for a 360 pad ffs.

I think you really need to play the console versions to see just how different the UI really are. The PC versions of Dragon Age have hotbars, resized fonts and icons, re-arranged layouts, etc. The Mass Effect games have the same (though less effort was put into ME2's UI). Conversely, the console versions of these games had large fonts, large icons, less efficient layouts and relied heavily on radial menus.

Bethesda's changes for PC UI constitute a bare minimum. Bioware's changes go above and beyond what most console ports do.

Out of interest, would you have liked skyrim to have a better UI and PC specific tweeks at the expense of content for all platforms?

That's not how development works. Level designers, environmental artists, character artists, scripters, riggers, etc, don't work on UI. Typically, there's one UI designer/artist and one UI programmer. That's it. These two people could have easily made a better PC UI without sacrificing any of the game's other content. Hell, a modder made a better UI in a matter of weeks and that wasn't even his full-time job. It's not like salaried employees get paid extra based on how much work they do. Not in the games industry. They could have designed a PC-centric UI without paying them even a cent more.

There's really no valid excuse for Bethesda's laziness. They, like most other publishers and developers, are content with simply making sure that their ports are functional, rather than ideal. Despite the lackluster DA2, I have to give credit to Bioware for the effort they put into their ports. Even DA2 was a good port, if not a good game.

55. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 26, 2011, 05:27 Theo

Jerykk wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 19:57:
I completely disagree. If you're going to release a game on multiple platforms, you should ensure that each platform gets equal focus. For the PC, this means redesigning the UI as necessary (as Bioware tends to do). Skyrim's UI was clearly designed for gamepads, not M/KB, and even with gamepads, it's slow, clunky and requires an excessive amount of scrolling. Skyrim would be a better game if the UI were better.

I dont doubt that in a ideal world companys would do this. Budgets, and release schedules on the other hand mean that if it works it goes out the door.

I really think we need to accept (unfortunatly) that in the world of multi-platform releases that compromises are being made to take the experiance to a wider audiance. That in its self has benafits, the more they sell the larger the buget they have for the next title; admittedly the larger the budget has to be to to support a multiplatform release however, given the "minimalistic" way things are ported in terms of UI and design; lots of said design budget does go on content.

54. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 19:57 Jerykk

A port of a game is where the games resources are converted to be used on another system after it's been released to a particular system.
Nobody ports a game in mid development. That's called developing for multiple platforms and a smart developer will save time by sharing resources between different teams and systems.

Oh dear. You clearly have no idea how development actually works. In multiplatform development, only one platform is considered the lead. This is the platform that receives the most attention and the game is designed around this platform. In Bethesda's case, this platform is the X360 because X360 games tend to sell the most. During development, the game is ported to the secondary platforms (PS3 and PC in this case). These platforms receive less attention than the lead platform because they are just ports. That's why the PS3 version of Skyrim suffered from crippling performance issues and why the PC version is so poorly optimized and lacks PC-centric UI elements like scroll bars.

It runs and looks better on PC than it does on any other system. What fucking port have you ever known to do that? If that's a port, I want Bethesda to 'port' every game.

Uh, almost every port in existence looks better on PC because PC supports higher resolutions, higher AA, higher AF and higher framerates. It's really not difficult to make a port look better on PC. While it was nice of Bethesda to include the ability to adjust detail settings, this doesn't suddenly mean the game isn't a port.

You look through Morrowind and Oblivion's files and you'll find graphics for the XBox and 360 buttons. Doesn't mean those games were ports.

Morrowind was obviously designed for the PC, considering that it was released for the PC more than a month before the Xbox version and the UI was very PC-centric. I'd be surprised if it included any graphics for the Xbox. Do you have a source for that info? As for Oblivion, that was obviously designed for the X360 given the console-centric UI.

You seem to believe that ports are inherently bad, hence your refusal to accept that Skyrim is a port. In truth, ports aren't inherently good or bad. They just are. You can have good ports, bad ports, great ports, horrible ports... but in the end, they're still ports unless PC was the lead platform during development. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. Skyrim is a port but it's still a good game. Same with Arkham City, Fallout: New Vegas and a large number of games released over the past five years.

Adding my $0.02 to this: All that means is that they made a multiplatform UI to ease the workload, and focus on the more important task of development of the actual game as opposed to custom UIs. I like it that way. It's lead to a better game in this case, IMO.

I completely disagree. If you're going to release a game on multiple platforms, you should ensure that each platform gets equal focus. For the PC, this means redesigning the UI as necessary (as Bioware tends to do). Skyrim's UI was clearly designed for gamepads, not M/KB, and even with gamepads, it's slow, clunky and requires an excessive amount of scrolling. Skyrim would be a better game if the UI were better.

53. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 14:41 theyarecomingforyou

Kastagir wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 14:00:
This is a highly subjective statement. I had no such issues with 1.1.21.0 on release day, but I have a capable system that I keep clean. I know this is not the case for everyone.
Forums and posts here were filled with posts of people with issues, so it's not like it was a specific issue with my machine. And for what it's worth I had an issue with my computer before Skyrim was released, so I did a clean install - so don't accuse everybody with an opinion that differs to yours of being morons that don't know how to manage their computer.

Kastagir wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 14:00:
The real problems began to show up once the first mods appeared on skyrimnexus.com. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Actually, it was the modding community that fixed the game - the community patch was recognised by Bethesda and then incorporated into an official patch. So than your RETARDED and BASELESS accusations of the mod community being responsible it was actually the mod community that FIXED the game.

It's great that your four year old laptop with Intel graphics didn't have an issue. But those of us with more powerful machines - like mine, with 12GB of RAM and 2GB of VRAM - and that ran on maximum settings actually DID have a problem.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

52. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 14:16 ^Drag0n^

Tanto Edge wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 14:01:
That's some retarded logic there.
They design a UI that will work on all systems and that defines a port.

Adding my $0.02 to this: All that means is that they made a multiplatform UI to ease the workload, and focus on the more important task of development of the actual game as opposed to custom UIs. I like it that way. It's lead to a better game in this case, IMO.

The PC has tons of graphical options and other enhancements over the console versions. I really kind of get tired of this "if it's available on the 360/PS3, IT'S A PORT!" crap sometimes.

Besides, the mod community for Beth games ALWAYS makes new UIs for people not liking the vanilla version.

Look, I understand that some folks are having issues with the game in terms of compatibility of some of the software they are running (usually AV/anti-malware that is not, in general, game friendly), or issues with being dissapointed that some of their hardware is long in the tooth compared to the high-end system requirements that the game has. I get it. I finally pushed myself to get a new card for this game, replacing my 8800GTX SLI setup. Haven't regretted it at all, other than feeling bad that I have to give up two cards that worked great for 5 years.

What amazes me is that in a pinch, on lower settings, I can actually play this game on an ion2 NETBOOK. Sure, it looks like shit, but it's (mostly) playable.

I guess my point is, this thing is GOTY material because the gameplay is awesome. I have no disrespect for anyone in the mod community; I think it's great that they are extending the hardware reach of the game, but I don't think Bethesda, a company that actually makes games and gives you the tools to mod them, is in any way derelict of duty. Aside from the Threatfire issue I found, I haven't had any issues with the vanilla game.

YMMV.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, all! God bless us, every one!

^D^

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2011, 14:28.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

51. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 14:10 Krovven

Tanto Edge wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 14:01:
It makes perfect sense for a company developing a game on multiple platforms, to share resources to lighten the development load.
It doesn't mean the game is a 'port'.

You look through Morrowind and Oblivion's files and you'll find graphics for the XBox and 360 buttons. Doesn't mean those games were ports.

A port of a game is where the games resources are converted to be used on another system after it's been released to a particular system.
Nobody ports a game in mid development. That's called developing for multiple platforms and a smart developer will save time by sharing resources between different teams and systems.

It runs and looks better on PC than it does on any other system. What fucking port have you ever known to do that? If that's a port, I want Bethesda to 'port' every game.

I hate to admit it, but even Rage wasn't a port. It was just so sloppy it may as well have been a port.

We can argue about this until next Christmas, but I say that if it's in the development cycle, it's not a port. It's just being developed in tandem, regardless of whatever 'build' the resources 'came from'.

Clearly you don't have a clue what a port is.

50. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 14:01 Tanto Edge

That's some retarded logic there.
They design a UI that will work on all systems and that defines a port.

It makes perfect sense for a company developing a game on multiple platforms, to share resources to lighten the development load.
It doesn't mean the game is a 'port'.

I hate to admit it, but even Rage wasn't a port. It was just so sloppy it may as well have been a port.

We can argue about this until next Christmas, but I say that if it's in the development cycle, it's not a port. It's just being developed in tandem, regardless of whatever 'build' the resources 'came from'.

Jerykk wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 05:18:
Why on earth would I be ashamed of buying a game from a studio that doesn't port, but rather enhances ANDadds modding tools to some of the deepest games made today?

Erm, Bethesda definitely does port their games to PC. The console-centric UI is pretty much indisputable evidence of that, along with the fact that all the official media is taken from the Xbox build (as has been the case since Oblivion). While I applaud Bethesda for making their games highly moddable and supporting modders with official tools, I can't applaud them for the quality of the ports themselves. Skyrim is a good game but a mediocre port.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

49. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 14:00 Kastagir

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 13:13:
Actually, the game was ridiculously unstable out of the box. The LAA patch has now fixed that but I was getting frequent crashes, at one point I was getting less than 10 minutes playtime before a crash.

This is a highly subjective statement. I had no such issues with 1.1.21.0 on release day, but I have a capable system that I keep clean. I know this is not the case for everyone. Considering the sheer numbers of people that were playing the game during the first week, the ones having problems with performance and/or stability were incredibly small, relatively speaking. The real problems began to show up once the first mods appeared on skyrimnexus.com. I don't think that's a coincidence. This game has been very stable with an acceptable number of bugs (again, relatively speaking considering the scope of the game). If you were having problems with the game and weren't using mods, you're likely not using hardware that's up to the task or your computer is in need of some cleaning - either physically or by way of uninstalling Call of Duty. Or both.

48. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 13:13 theyarecomingforyou

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 12:04:
You're either dumb, a troll, or have a shitty system. The game is one of the most playable games in memory. It's almost entirely bug-free when you consider the scope of this thing. With all of the stuff they managed to pack into it, and there's almost NOTHING that's game-breaking, AND they hit their release target. That's pretty amazing if you ask me. But then, maybe you've never played it.
Actually, the game was ridiculously unstable out of the box. The LAA patch has now fixed that but I was getting frequent crashes, at one point I was getting less than 10 minutes playtime before a crash.

As for this "fix", it does appear to improve performance. However, I got a few weird speed-up-slow-down moments and I'm not sure if that's related to this. Overall, definitely worth applying and I'm interested to see how Bethesda responds.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

47. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 13:10 flechett3

I should point you to the speedrunning afforts over at speeddemosarchive and see what you have to say about how they use plates to walk through walls. >.>  

46. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 12:04 ForgedReality

Luke wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 05:57:
My god peps buying a game then have to make it run probably with all kinds of tweaks and so forth its just one big console game and people are jumping up and down over it saying "game of the year"
This piece of shit can never be the game of the year if you have to be somekind of mini programmer to get it to run probably copy paste this copy paste that gezzz Clown
You're either dumb, a troll, or have a shitty system. The game is one of the most playable games in memory. It's almost entirely bug-free when you consider the scope of this thing. With all of the stuff they managed to pack into it, and there's almost NOTHING that's game-breaking, AND they hit their release target. That's pretty amazing if you ask me. But then, maybe you've never played it.

45. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 12:00 ForgedReality

DrEvil wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 12:39:
It's just like the LAA patch that the community hacked up; I've never seen the skyrim process using more than about 900MB of memory, even after hours of playtime. I think Bethesda made that change eventually not because it was necessary, but because it made the community happy.

No, they did it because it was a problem and they needed to fix it. Before I employed the LAA fix, the game was crashing fairly regularly. Luckily it autosaves pretty regularly too. The reason you weren't seeing issues is because you don't have a powerful system that can take advantage of maximum settings. When you use maxed settings (or higher, like many people do through ini edits), you're utilizing more memory. You're running at higher resolutions, using higher resolution textures, with more shit on-screen at once, and more distance visible at a time. It crashed when it ran out of memory, but LAA entirely fixed that.

44. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 09:41 eRe4s3r

Well, i never claimed anyone here is sane

Merry XMAS btw

43. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 08:21 Slashman

Hey Jerykk,

Are you testing this mod out? Does it help with your specific town performance issues?

42. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 08:11 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 07:05:
Nobody (sane) uses bethesda forums

So I'm guessing a few people on this thread do.

- Quboid

41. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 07:05 eRe4s3r

And here is the link to nexus
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4387

Nobody (sane) uses bethesda forums

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo