Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling

GameSpot reports that Electronic Arts will not be appealing the recent decision that means Syndicate cannot be sold in Australia. Noting the shooter will be available in New Zealand, they offer the following statement from EA:

It's regrettable that government policy in Australia is denying adults the right to play Syndicate. The game will be not be available in Australia, despite its enthusiastic response from fans. We were encouraged by the government's recent agreement to adopt an 18+ age rating for games. However, delays continue to force an arcane censorship on games--cuts that would never be imposed on books or movies. We urge policy makers to take swift action to implement an updated policy that reflects today's market and gives its millions of adult consumers the right to make their own content choices.

View
14. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 09:59 Numinar

Hello! The original Syndicate was the first game I ever convinced my dad to shell out $80 to. It was awesome on Amiga, and even better on PC-CD (I think it only took up 10 meg on the disc... but still, CD!).

I still have not purchased L4D2. Valve screwed us by releasing the lame-version here... EA did the right thing here. it's better to just not release. Puts more pressure on the industry/people with money to lobby for change.

And the aesthetic needs to be severe. It was in the original. Some imagination was required but the theme and world were well realised as brutal and soullessly uncaring. It's a pretty big leap from 80 pixels to HD-stylised realism and the trailer nailed it! I just hope the 4 player co-op has more of that small team in a sprawling cityscape feeling of the original, because those single player movies don't have that. That's wishful thinking though and it will probably just be more wanky corridor shooting.

As for Aussies being racist, that is true of many of us yet I've seen far worse from Englishmen and American gentlemen. Excuse me I meant yanks and poms. I've met far less of them than I have my fellow Australians so that's pretty solid science right there. Egalitarianism is native to these lands despite the terrors of history and prejudice so I think you lot can give us a break hey?

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 23, 22:32 Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling StingingVelvet
  2. Dec 23, 23:01  Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Overon
  3. Dec 24, 01:10   Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Tehol
  4. Dec 24, 01:33    Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling entr0py
  5. Dec 24, 02:31     Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Wowbagger_TIP
  6. Dec 24, 03:11 Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Cutter
  7. Dec 24, 04:03 Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling jdreyer
  8. Dec 24, 04:31  Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dev
  9. Dec 24, 05:49 Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling dumpy
  10. Dec 24, 06:34  Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Cutter