Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling

GameSpot reports that Electronic Arts will not be appealing the recent decision that means Syndicate cannot be sold in Australia. Noting the shooter will be available in New Zealand, they offer the following statement from EA:

It's regrettable that government policy in Australia is denying adults the right to play Syndicate. The game will be not be available in Australia, despite its enthusiastic response from fans. We were encouraged by the government's recent agreement to adopt an 18+ age rating for games. However, delays continue to force an arcane censorship on games--cuts that would never be imposed on books or movies. We urge policy makers to take swift action to implement an updated policy that reflects today's market and gives its millions of adult consumers the right to make their own content choices.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 17:40 JayDeath

And Australia seems like such a nice place to live until you gotta deal with this horseshit.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

Why isn't there a remake of Westworld?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 15:57 space captain

Dmitri_M wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 10:09:
Unlike in Europe and America were it as has and people at least need to pretend not to be racist.

yeh i probly shoulda said "openly racist as hell"... USA is still pretty bad, its just "taboo"

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 10:09 Dmitri_M

space captain wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 08:10:

btw i heard lots of aussies are racist as hell, just some off-topic for ya

Yeah they are. They're very sheltered in Australia. Did such a "great" job wiping out the aborigines that white guilt never had a chance to form. Unlike in Europe and America were it as has and people at least need to pretend not to be racist.

14. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 09:59 Numinar

Hello! The original Syndicate was the first game I ever convinced my dad to shell out $80 to. It was awesome on Amiga, and even better on PC-CD (I think it only took up 10 meg on the disc... but still, CD!).

I still have not purchased L4D2. Valve screwed us by releasing the lame-version here... EA did the right thing here. it's better to just not release. Puts more pressure on the industry/people with money to lobby for change.

And the aesthetic needs to be severe. It was in the original. Some imagination was required but the theme and world were well realised as brutal and soullessly uncaring. It's a pretty big leap from 80 pixels to HD-stylised realism and the trailer nailed it! I just hope the 4 player co-op has more of that small team in a sprawling cityscape feeling of the original, because those single player movies don't have that. That's wishful thinking though and it will probably just be more wanky corridor shooting.

As for Aussies being racist, that is true of many of us yet I've seen far worse from Englishmen and American gentlemen. Excuse me I meant yanks and poms. I've met far less of them than I have my fellow Australians so that's pretty solid science right there. Egalitarianism is native to these lands despite the terrors of history and prejudice so I think you lot can give us a break hey?

13. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 09:04 Spektr

yeah well I think some people are racist as hell all around the planet..
And yes, they can download it illegally... As of legal downloads, I am not sure they check if you are Australian or not. But I am sure there are workarounds.
It can only mean two things: a) Governments are completely unaware of what's going today in our societies b) They are but they are completely helpless. The Internet and globalized economics are more powerful than they are.
Kinda scary in some way but glad the internet is once again helping against governement censorship.
PS: And yes I would order it from Amazon or something..

12. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 08:10 space captain

cant people in australia just order it from a shop in another country? import it?

or pirate that shit like a motherfucker?

fuckin nanny state.. cant hang with that, id bounce out like a kangaroo

btw i heard lots of aussies are racist as hell, just some off-topic for ya

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 07:52 Muscular Beaver

Cutter wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 06:34:
dumpy wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 05:49:
I still haven't killed anyone IRL.

...yet.
Exactly! Just you wait 2000 years and one of your descendants will kill someone!

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

10. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 06:34 Cutter

dumpy wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 05:49:

...yet.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 05:49 dumpy

Despite losing the Australian retail market for this game (I'm unsure if electronic sales will be affected), I can see this publicity working in EA's favour.

The original Soldier of Fortune was plastered with warnings all over the retail box, though that didn't deter my parents, and I only wanted it more. Only a little persuasion was needed to convince my dad to get it for me.

8. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 04:31 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 04:03:
We were encouraged by the government's recent agreement to adopt an 18+ age rating for games. However, delays continue to force an arcane censorship on games--cuts that would never be imposed on books or movies.

Really? Is there a double standard with games vs. books and movies?
Yes, in AU there is. Its because they lack a M/18 rating in AU for games, so any game they think should be that rating they just outright ban. For movies (dunno about books), they HAVE an adult rating, so adult movies are no problem, they get that rating and can still be sold.

Thats why the AU setup is so stupid. "Hey, we don't have a rating for this, so lets just ban!"

7. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 04:03 jdreyer

We were encouraged by the government's recent agreement to adopt an 18+ age rating for games. However, delays continue to force an arcane censorship on games--cuts that would never be imposed on books or movies.

Really? Is there a double standard with games vs. books and movies? Here's the litmus test: If Elfen Lied is banned in Australia, then I see no double standard, as the violence in each is similar (Elfen Lied violence here. Compare to Syndicate here. Both links NSFW.) If Elfen Lied is not banned but Syndicate is, then EA has a point.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 03:11 Cutter

"enthusiastic response from fans"

Well, I'm sure both of them will be sad pandas about this.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 02:31 Wowbagger_TIP

entr0py wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 01:33:
Tehol wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 01:10:
what is this adult content?it 's a shooter not rpg.
are they talking about gory scenes?

Yep. From Gamestop:

UPDATE: The Classification Board has now released its decision report into Syndicate, which states that the game was indeed refused classification because of its high impact violence.

In its report, the Board cited several examples of high impact violence, including the fact that "combatants can take locational damage an can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated, or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals."

"The game also allows a player to repeatedly damage enemy combatants' corpses. For example, it is possible for a player to decapitate a corpse with a headshot before individually blowing off each of its limbs."
Awesome deal for EA. The Classification Board just wrote their marketing material for them!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 01:33 entr0py

Tehol wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 01:10:

Yep. From Gamestop:

UPDATE: The Classification Board has now released its decision report into Syndicate, which states that the game was indeed refused classification because of its high impact violence.

In its report, the Board cited several examples of high impact violence, including the fact that "combatants can take locational damage an can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated, or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals."

"The game also allows a player to repeatedly damage enemy combatants' corpses. For example, it is possible for a player to decapitate a corpse with a headshot before individually blowing off each of its limbs."

3. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 01:10 Tehol

2. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 23, 2011, 23:01 Overon

The only time I agreed with EA is today. They still suck though.  

1. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 23, 2011, 22:32 StingingVelvet

They only say that shit for business reasons, but I still can't help but say yay.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo