Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On The Old Republic Queues

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums have an update on queues players are encountering when trying to join servers for BioWare's new MMORPG (thanks GameSpot). Word is they are working on things, but not to expect this to change at light speed:

Many of you who are already playing on these servers are asking for solutions, and we understand your frustration. At this time we can only ask for your patience. Population caps are being gradually raised on these servers, but raising them too fast will create an influx of new players and perpetuate the problem. We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future. If you do not want to queue, you should consider playing on another server, many of which have very low or no queues.

Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

Finally, we are also aware of the issues some have experienced where they have been disconnected during a queue due to internet issues, and had to restart their queue once more. This is a high priority for our server team and we'll be deploying a fix as soon as possible.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 09:01 Fion

Before the game came out officially I hardly ever saw a queue accept on a saturday night. Now there are two dozen new servers and nobody on them. I think the blame can partially be placed on new players who didn't do the smart thing, like going onto one of those new servers, but rather went on some servers because 'they look cool'. Like Krayt Dragon.

Yes I'm sure a number are hopping on highly populated servers because that's where their guild was placed (and that makes it Biowares fault for not including more servers to start).

Granted I'm on an RP server that only queues at saturday evening and then it's a 5 minute wait. So call me lucky.

To add to the quality of the game. I'm really enjoying myself. My main is a Smuggler (Scoundrel) and that class is a blast both in combat and in the storylines. Combat is fun and responsive, the crafting is really nice (if generic in it's base systems) and the companions are fun and interesting. I for one and generally 'extremely' tired of WoW generation themepark MMOGs so I really wasn't sure I'd enjoy SWTOR, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I will likely play until GW2 comes out, which is at the least, likely six months from now. And even after that I'll probably play it casually.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 08:24 Jonny

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 08:14:
Jonny wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 07:36:
I've not had bad queues, around 20 minutes for a full server. Didn't really have a choice to go for a low population one because I had the full 7 days of early access.

What is really annoying me at the moment is that I'm locked out of the game until I sign up for a subscription and their subscription link times out all the damn time. They got my CC details when I bought the thing off Origin, why do they need a subscription until my month runs out?

Yep -- and if you follow their twitter thread they just took swtor and the ea shop offline to try and fix this. This is unfortunate.

It seems to me that swtor has a queue to enter their website (smart) and the ea shop does not (dumb).

Sadly, we can't play until we subscribe.

Thanks for that, now at least I know why I've been stuck in a waiting room for the last 15 minutes.

And as I was writing the queue popped and I got through and placed my sub in about 20 seconds because it already had my CC info. Now to see if the game recognises it.

20. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 08:22 Fibrocyte

Both sites are back up, now. I was able to subscribe in about 60 seconds.  

19. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 08:14 Fibrocyte

Jonny wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 07:36:
I've not had bad queues, around 20 minutes for a full server. Didn't really have a choice to go for a low population one because I had the full 7 days of early access.

What is really annoying me at the moment is that I'm locked out of the game until I sign up for a subscription and their subscription link times out all the damn time. They got my CC details when I bought the thing off Origin, why do they need a subscription until my month runs out?

Yep -- and if you follow their twitter thread they just took swtor and the ea shop offline to try and fix this. This is unfortunate.

It seems to me that swtor has a queue to enter their website (smart) and the ea shop does not (dumb).

Sadly, we can't play until we subscribe.

18. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 07:36 Jonny

17. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 06:29 InBlack

Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 20:36:
To those who say that "Star Wars: The Old Republic" is actually KotoR 3, I will only say that I never had queuing problems in the first 2.

Hehehe

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 05:48 Fibrocyte

Longswd wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 04:35:
Bhruic wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 20:29:
Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

That an MMO would launch today without thinking that maybe, just maybe they should have character transfers ready for launch is mind bogling.

I'm finding myself saying that about of lot of things in SWTOR. Some rather curious oversights, like no LFG "dungeon" finder. No filtering by equip slot or attribute properties on the auction house. The inability to move UI elements about, a sin compounded by the lack of any add-on support. No target of target display, no defensive target mechanism (I know of the focus target option, it's not very useful) etc. etc..

While I've noticed most of those things, too - they somehow don't detract from SWTOR being a very solid MMO.

I'm not a Star Wars fan and was really expecting SWTOR to be disappointing but in fact it is quite good. Even if I stay interested for 2 months (my 1 free month + 1 paid month), I'll feel I received good value from it.

Some things I like:

1. The Crew Skills (crafting) system. It is unique and brilliant. I can craft while on the go and almost never need to roam around zones collecting items - my companions do it for me.

2. Companions. They're integrated into the story, the have some personality, they are quite useful outside of just combat (can craft; can run off and sell items for you while you're out in the field, etc). When you do use them for combat, they're effective.

3. The look and feel. SWTOR is very different than WoW and that's a big attraction for me. WoW is great and they did an excellent job, but after so many years it feels tired and dated. I've heard people complain about SWTOR graphics and I just don't see it. Its perfectly fine for an MMO in my opinion (also, I hear enhancements are coming soon).

4. The Quest System. If you're patient enough to care, the quests are rather engaging. When you engage a quest giver, you get an in-game cut scene where they talk to you and you talk back, etc... and the voice acting (all that I've seen so far) is very well done. I played a Jedi Consular from levels 1-11 and the quests were serious and that was fine. I then started a Smuggler and my character is a cocky, flirty, jerk and the conversations I have with quest givers are actually funny.

5. Flashpoints. I have limited experience here, only going through The Esseles so far, but I like what I've seen and hope they remain interesting and fun.

6. Combat. The combat is good for an MMO. With the Consular, the up close saber combat was neat but what I really enjoy is the smuggler and the whole cover system they've implemented for him. I hear some people in the game love it and some hate it - I personally like it. It adds a nice twist to combat.

Of the cons listed by Longswd, I would say that no addon support is kind of harsh. I originally made a Consular (now a Jedi Sage) to be a healer but am too used to the Healbot mod to go back to the manual mundane method of healing.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2011, 06:02.

15. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 04:35 Longswd

That an MMO would launch today without thinking that maybe, just maybe they should have character transfers ready for launch is mind bogling.

I'm finding myself saying that about of lot of things in SWTOR. Some rather curious oversights, like no LFG "dungeon" finder. No filtering by equip slot or attribute properties on the auction house. The inability to move UI elements about, a sin compounded by the lack of any add-on support. No target of target display, no defensive target mechanism (I know of the focus target option, it's not very useful) etc. etc..

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

14. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 03:22 PropheT

Teddy wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 00:12:
Except that there are people who have been playing for a week and a day now, not just one day. That's a bit more frustrating to lose when you suddenly find out that all your friends joined some other server.

Transfers just move the problem around rather than alleviating it unless it's transfers that they allow only to certain underpopulated servers...and even then with Christmas coming up who knows what will happen with another influx of players.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, though. I'm on the server I'm on because that's the one my guild was assigned to. I just don't think transfers are a solution rather than kicking the can down the street to someone else's door.

13. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 02:22 Dev

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 00:23:
You can't me they don't have character xfers yet. Obviously they do, but they want to monetize it ala Actiblizz. However, doing so right now when all this is going on would create a massive backlash. It's just so asinine. They're shooting themselves in the foot out of greed when just allowing xfers for free for the first few months should be par for the course for any new MMO - hell the xfers should always be free on all these games anyway.
What they could do is offer free transfers, but only going from more crowded server, to less crowded. Later on they can introduce paid transfers that can go any where.

Offering free transfers to anywhere with no restrictions would likely end up with tons of extra people on the most crowded servers.

12. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 02:09 StingingVelvet

Picked this up inspired by Ars Technica's column about playing it as KOTOR 3. I have to say it's really damn solo friendly and singleplayer-like. It does not surprise me a lot of MMO vets are complaining it's like a singleplayer game on the surface.

Usually I would dislike the idea of paying monthly and always being online for a singleplayer game. For Bioware and Star Wars I am making an exception, plus I leave the country in 3 weeks so I won't be paying any monthly fees until 2013, and by then it might be free-to-play.

11. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 00:25 LazyCat

I am on a pre-release server and got in tonight without a queue, last night it was 10 min. Not bad. mini patch today sposed to have cleared up a few issues.
So far game is fun.
You can play it pretty solo if you want, just find a nearbye group for "heroic" areas and the flashpoints when you get around to it.

8 story lines to play though- so good for 4 months or so depending on your playtime.

10. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 00:23 Cutter

You can't me they don't have character xfers yet. Obviously they do, but they want to monetize it ala Actiblizz. However, doing so right now when all this is going on would create a massive backlash. It's just so asinine. They're shooting themselves in the foot out of greed when just allowing xfers for free for the first few months should be par for the course for any new MMO - hell the xfers should always be free on all these games anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 00:12 Teddy

PropheT wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 21:52:
Well, if the game came out yesterday and you had to re-roll on a new server you'd be out one day worth of low level character.

Except that there are people who have been playing for a week and a day now, not just one day. That's a bit more frustrating to lose when you suddenly find out that all your friends joined some other server.

8. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 22:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 20:36:
To those who say that "Star Wars: The Old Republic" is actually KotoR 3, I will only say that I never had queuing problems in the first 2.
Lies. I had plenty of problems finding a copy of KoToR when it first came out.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 22:33 Alamar

heh... I came into this thread to mention my results... And wrote a rant : )

I was going to mention how I haven't seen much of the queue stuff yet, other than about 30-40 min (for a 15m estimate) queue yester-morning at 11am, but it was gone when friends logged in around 6 (which seems so backwards; on a work day).

Tonight however, I got one of those DCs where the game isn't smart enough to close for me... Instead, it gives me a server screen that I can't log into, because I've been disconnected for real this time, and I need to relaunch... Which put me in a queue... Which then DC'd me, and restarted the queue...

I should take the hint and play some more steam winter sale games, but I haven't played much TOR today, and I wanna : )

-Alamar

6. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 22:30 Alamar

PropheT wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 21:52:

Well, if the game came out yesterday and you had to re-roll on a new server you'd be out one day worth of low level character.

Not that it wouldn't be nice, I guess, it's just not something I'd want taking away from development time pre-release when it's not really a big deal coming out of the gate. Doing it because of queues at this point just moves the problem around rather than fixes it anyway.

While your point sounds logical and what not, I think it's flawed...

First of all, because of an entire week of pre-release... Which are typically the servers bogged down the most after launch day. A week is a long time for people obsessive enough to pre-order and get in to early launch...

Secondly, because it's simply not your time/investment... Losing 'a few hours' doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's still a few hours wasted... Somewhat inevitable in other cases, like the reason I coordinated with various groups of people to get on one server (so that I didn't have group A on server Z, and group B on server Y).

Thirdly, this complaint isn't going away in a week, month, etc... It's still going to be the exact same problem and complaint with people that have put in a bit more time.

Also, a lot of people really enjoy fresh content... I assume the number is astronomical, considering how many people have a 'main', and it's their only 'over XX level character', so they're even less likely to want to see the same shit over again, even (or more so) a day later.

My thoughts/stance? I find it disappointing that free transfers aren't avaialable on pre-launch day... It's not a new concept, and working it in from inception is easy enough that it won't be the big fiasco it was (with WoW, for example, when it was introduced).

-Alamar

5. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 21:52 PropheT

Not that it wouldn't be nice, I guess, it's just not something I'd want taking away from development time pre-release when it's not really a big deal coming out of the gate. Doing it because of queues at this point just moves the problem around rather than fixes it anyway.

4. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 21:21 Paranoid Jack

Even though I was not hooked or impressed when I played the marketing test/closed beta test I'm having thoughts of buying this one again. I've loved/hated MMOs in the past. Just usually not for very long. The longest of course being WoW... for more than a year from closed beta until eight or more months after launch when I was finally pulled away long enough to get that monkey off my back.

Strange, now I try to avoid being addicted or so hooked on a game that it takes over my spare time. I found myself avoid Skyrim lately (for the past two weeks) because I already have 87 hours invested and I'm not far into the main quest line.

I will most likley be into TOR sometime soon...

3. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 21, 2011, 20:55 HorrorScope

Without a doubt. Or take it a step further build in functionality when logging in to move your character to any server on a whim whenever you want. Progress imo is usually a good thing. But to think they don't have this, a possible revenue stream not ready to roll day one is a marketing fail at this point in time.

Not saying this is a bad game, but as said... it's like history repeating itself over and over.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo