Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On The Old Republic Queues

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums have an update on queues players are encountering when trying to join servers for BioWare's new MMORPG (thanks GameSpot). Word is they are working on things, but not to expect this to change at light speed:

Many of you who are already playing on these servers are asking for solutions, and we understand your frustration. At this time we can only ask for your patience. Population caps are being gradually raised on these servers, but raising them too fast will create an influx of new players and perpetuate the problem. We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future. If you do not want to queue, you should consider playing on another server, many of which have very low or no queues.

Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

Finally, we are also aware of the issues some have experienced where they have been disconnected during a queue due to internet issues, and had to restart their queue once more. This is a high priority for our server team and we'll be deploying a fix as soon as possible.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 23, 2011, 10:40 Ray Marden

I hate EA, but this is also the smoothest launch (from my limited perspective) that I have experienced to date. As for the queues, there is something really broken with how they are assigning the players or they forewent basic caps. I have yet to experience any queue during peak hours though I can attest to there being low population servers while others list queues of 3+ hours.

As for the game, just as in the beta, I am enjoying it so far. I care more about the world in this MMOG than any other I have played to date and I definitely feel like this is a continuation of the generic KotOR model.

I am still low level, though, so all my concerns remain - will there be an end game, does the game ever really open up to a vast universe, will professions ever be a primary focus, can they keep up with constant content updates, will they streamline the UI, will the improve group questing/instancing, etc.

I have various hopes for where this will go, but if nothing else, I am expecting to play through the game twice, Republic and Empire respectively, for a quasi online/group/single-player game. As to whether or not I actually remain subscribed to the game, it all depends on what there is to do. For now, I raid (only) in WoW and then go play ToR for an enjoyable game. Ultimately, I wish there was a game with the combat/raids of WoW and the story/gameplay of ToR.
ToR's endgame will decide its fate, else I am awaiting Titan.
Finding the Diablo 3 beta somewhat plain,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 23, 2011, 09:45 Dades

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 02:15:
The only thing I find mind boggling is all the goddamn whining all the fucking time about everything. The online community is the most fucked up, bitter, depressed community out there.

I know whining about whiners leaves me in an awkward spot but I care not. SWToR is a new MMORPG. New. As in... released last week. I have played WoW on day one and compared to what it has become, I can no longer understand how I could've enjoyed it without major frustration. SWToR is perfectly playable and I don't get it why people like my cousin, my friends and I love this game while the online community keep slapping their dicks on the plank o' complaints. My cousin was biased as hell because of all the bullshit going on on the SWToR forum months back.. but he got over it after realizing it's all just whining. Whining whining whining whining.

People aren't empty whiners because they don't share your opinion of a videogame. You are contributing more crap to the signal to noise ratio than they are with that kind of weirdo rant.

40. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 23, 2011, 08:53 Endo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 02:15:
The only thing I find mind boggling is all the goddamn whining all the fucking time about everything. The online community is the most fucked up, bitter, depressed community out there.

I know whining about whiners leaves me in an awkward spot but I care not. SWToR is a new MMORPG. New. As in... released last week. I have played WoW on day one and compared to what it has become, I can no longer understand how I could've enjoyed it without major frustration. SWToR is perfectly playable and I don't get it why people like my cousin, my friends and I love this game while the online community keep slapping their dicks on the plank o' complaints. My cousin was biased as hell because of all the bullshit going on on the SWToR forum months back.. but he got over it after realizing it's all just whining. Whining whining whining whining.

I know 99% of the whiners enjoy the games they whine about very much. Very much. It's not like we're talking about a major fuck up like Rage anyway.

Just.. sit back, and THINK about all the crap complaints you write down and if it's really worth your time. After that you might concider if it's not more productive to stop pouring the emptiness of your pathetic little life onto the internet, coated in whine.

I'm the whiner who whines about whiners now and I realize that, but I'm ok with that. Had to get it off my chest and it felt good.

Online game community.. Ugh, sorry bunch. Hate to be a part of it.
I certainly don't feel about it as strongly as you, but I understand and agree.

Me, I'm just having fun in SWToR. I care not about getting to level cap or whether this or that build is better for this or that or whether it's all balanced or not. My only concern is what is going to be fun.

39. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 23, 2011, 02:15 Eldaron Imotholin

I know 99% of the whiners enjoy the games they whine about very much. Very much. It's not like we're talking about a major fuck up like Rage anyway.

Just.. sit back, and THINK about all the crap complaints you write down and if it's really worth your time. After that you might concider if it's not more productive to stop pouring the emptiness of your pathetic little life onto the internet, coated in whine.

I'm the whiner who whines about whiners now and I realize that, but I'm ok with that. Had to get it off my chest and it felt good.

Online game community.. Ugh, sorry bunch. Hate to be a part of it.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

38. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 19:39 HorrorScope

Longswd wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 04:35:
Bhruic wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 20:29:
Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

That an MMO would launch today without thinking that maybe, just maybe they should have character transfers ready for launch is mind bogling.

I'm finding myself saying that about of lot of things in SWTOR. Some rather curious oversights, like no LFG "dungeon" finder. No filtering by equip slot or attribute properties on the auction house. The inability to move UI elements about, a sin compounded by the lack of any add-on support. No target of target display, no defensive target mechanism (I know of the focus target option, it's not very useful) etc. etc..

Yeah a lot of strikes there in quality of life features.

37. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 18:15 Endo

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 16:58:
One of the best things to look forward to with game is that there is almost limitless content they can use because of the era it centers around. Perhaps each expansion could focus on new Sith lords from that time frame or experience the events in lore as they unravel through history.

It's really exciting if they are able to capture that much of the Star Wars universe and provide quality content.
The other great thing about new content is they don't have to fudge around with current content to make the new stuff fit in. Add a new planet with your new content on it. Done.

36. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 18:13 Endo

Longswd wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 04:35:
I'm finding myself saying that about of lot of things in SWTOR. Some rather curious oversights, like no LFG "dungeon" finder. No filtering by equip slot or attribute properties on the auction house. The inability to move UI elements about, a sin compounded by the lack of any add-on support. No target of target display, no defensive target mechanism (I know of the focus target option, it's not very useful) etc. etc..

Some of us don't want all those features. I, for one, absolutely despise the LFG dungeon finder tools as implemented in WoW and Rift. It's one of the major reasons I quit those games. Why? Because it inevitably results in people doing nothing but sitting in a city waiting on the next queue. I don't play MMOs so I can either just city in a city waiting on a damn queue or run around in a nearly-empty world. I can do that in any cooperative RPG with a game lobby. That's Diablo II FFS.

The rest of the things you mentioned, while somewhat inconvenient, are surely not gamebreaking. And they'll be fixed soon once they implement the possibility of mods.

In the meantime I'm greatly enjoying the game just as it is.

35. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 16:58 Wallshadows

One of the best things to look forward to with game is that there is almost limitless content they can use because of the era it centers around. Perhaps each expansion could focus on new Sith lords from that time frame or experience the events in lore as they unravel through history.

It's really exciting if they are able to capture that much of the Star Wars universe and provide quality content.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

34. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 14:00 StingingVelvet

Flatline wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 13:24:
It's not revolutionary in a grand sense, but in the MMO field it's pretty impressive. It's actually fun to play, and the absurd experience rewards weren't toned down, which kind of boggles me (I thought I was on an accelerated path, as I hit level 20 in like a day and a half of solid playing). Which is really bizarre since I never made it out of the prologue and there's supposedly an Act 1 story.

From what I have heard levels 1-30 go relatively fast but levels 31-50 are much slower.

33. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 13:59 StingingVelvet

Alamar wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 12:20:
Just want to point out, for those still 'on the fence', that this is a bit misleading... It's true that each class (not advanced class) has a unique story... However, that's like 20% of your questing, if not less... Meaning, 80% of your time is spent doing the same shit you did on your last character, and unlike some other games (WoW, for example), it is just about all in the same place and same order.

Each faction has 2 starting areas, but once you leave that one, you're in the same location as the other 2 classes.

I would guess that people who want to play it as a singleplayer game will get two really good campaigns out of it, a republic and an empire. The minor differences within each faction are not enough for a third immediate playthrough. Maybe down the road if you want to replay the game they will add some spice.

32. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 13:24 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 10:12:
So, initial impressions. How is the game in the limited time you guys played? How does it compare to WoW in this short time of playtime?

I hated the f*cking smuggler origin story. I detailed my issues with that in the stress test weekend thread a while back. Very immature, boring, I just wanted it to be over so I could move on to better things. Moments of the smuggler story were great, the rest not so much.

Re-rolled an imperial agent and while she plays almost exactly identically to the smuggler (sadly), the story is far more interesting to me.

Also played the first several levels of the sith knight, and that was fun. Haven't gotten farther in that.

It's not revolutionary in a grand sense, but in the MMO field it's pretty impressive. It's actually fun to play, and the absurd experience rewards weren't toned down, which kind of boggles me (I thought I was on an accelerated path, as I hit level 20 in like a day and a half of solid playing). Which is really bizarre since I never made it out of the prologue and there's supposedly an Act 1 story.

Content needs to open way, WAY up. I can see the game sort of being like Guild Wars where you top out relatively early and the rest of the game is end-game content, and that'd be cool.

I really, REALLY wish they'd take space combat off the rails, or at least give us the option to dogfight and keep the rail shooter levels for the more mmo crowd. With an already persistent setup, the idea of guilds/squadrons of players roaming the galaxy, waging war and coordinating battle plans makes me feel funny in my pants.

I mean, a really good x-wing/Tie fighter style space combat sim engine is not unfeasible, and the flashpoint system could set up some *really* interesting scenarios.

I doubt it'll happen though. I'd be happy for a stand-alone game. Hell, I'd pay 15 bucks a month for a Star Wars X-Wing MMO.

PS: The architecture varies from "ho-hum" to "OMFGWTFBBQ" beauty. So far, Hutta was pleasant if uninteresting to look at, the smuggler/soldier starting world was flat out boring and uninteresting, coruscant is a "wow" moment, the sith capital world is a "wow" moment once you actually hit the capital city, and there's some really, really pretty architecture on Korriban. In the general weekend I went to Taris again and saw the wreckage from KOTOR1, which was kind of cool/creepy, but it didn't have much impact.

Other than that I haven't visited any other worlds yet so I can't comment on the art direction, but so far it oddly enough seems very hit and miss. When it hits, it's a home run. When it misses, it's the very most boring of art direction, and that seems to sync up with the parts of the game/story that seem to drag the most.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2011, 13:31.

31. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 Alamar

justice7 wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 11:17:
As for right now, there are 8 single player stories that are quite engaging to play through, and that should allow for plenty of time for new content to be released. I have read that they have the full development team still on staff, still working on new content.

Just want to point out, for those still 'on the fence', that this is a bit misleading... It's true that each class (not advanced class) has a unique story... However, that's like 20% of your questing, if not less... Meaning, 80% of your time is spent doing the same shit you did on your last character, and unlike some other games (WoW, for example), it is just about all in the same place and same order.

Each faction has 2 starting areas, but once you leave that one, you're in the same location as the other 2 classes.

But again, a lot of people seem to only level one character (even more so in the first <insert time period>), so you may forget most of these quests if you go back months later for your second char : )

I do recommend the game however... I'm enjoying it for what it has; a new/different story, involved story elements, etc... And I love that the wife and I can duo flashpoints, as they all require 4 people, but our 2 companions make up the other 2 slots... It hasn't been 'faceroll' easy, but once we learn the dynamics of a boss fight, we adjust and knock it out : )

-Alamar

30. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 11:17 justice7

ASeven wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 10:12:
So, initial impressions. How is the game in the limited time you guys played? How does it compare to WoW in this short time of playtime?

Well, we're still in the honeymoon season of this game so everything new is still shiny and awesome.

That said, I think there's some meat to this game in regards to staying power. It has a lot of things WoW cannot easily implement, one glaring difference is the mass-effect style dialogue. It's a huge step forward for MMORPG's, as it actually puts the RPG back into the MMO. No longer are we forced to just quest-collect and complete, we get a say in how some things go down, and even have character progression that means more than just getting new gear.

Personally, I love it. I think Starwars The Old Republic is a masterpiece for Bioware and Lucas Arts. Activision/Blizzard should be shaking in their boots right now for the fall of many, many wow subs that are sure to follow should SWTOR have the staying power many think it does. THAT SAID, people are still excited as it's still new... we'll see what the endgame brings and what changes they have coming down the pipe in the near future.

As for right now, there are 8 single player stories that are quite engaging to play through, and that should allow for plenty of time for new content to be released. I have read that they have the full development team still on staff, still working on new content.

SWTOR blew away my low expectations, it's a wonderful work of art.

I recommend SWTOR to anyone who's a Starwars fan, or a Bioware fan or even an MMORPG fan. Every single on of these types of gamers will adore this game, and being all three... it's a trifecta I can't seem to ignore.

I have been excited about other MMO's in the past, Rift came close but I feel so burned about that game's mid and endgame that I am still skeptical about SWTOR, but from my perspective.... so far, it's a wonderful experience. Get it!

29. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 10:12 ASeven

28. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 10:11 InBlack

It might not be a huge deal for you but its fucking insidious is what it is.

Granted the last subscription based MMO I played was AoC, but I dont remember that I had to enter my credit card information before my game time was up. In fact Im sure I didnt have to. Ditto for WoW but I canceled my sub for that waaaay before the first expansion pack.

Have people become such sheep in this short interim period? Anything goes thesedays?

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 10:07 Verno

The real issue is that adding the payment information is a separate task rather than part of creating the account/registering the code, and I don't think there is a lot of warning about it. So it's pretty easy to get the game, go to the site, put in your code, then go off to try and play the game. I think most of the "wtf I have to put in my credit card info to play??" stuff comes from the fact that it doesn't prompt you for it when you add the code in the first place. Having to go back to the site to do that makes it seem different.

Yeah I didn't consider that at all, good points

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

26. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 10:04 briktal

Verno wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 09:47:
Hang on, hang on. You cant use your free time that you got with the game, until you SUBSCRIBE??? Oh this is getting richer by the minute!

Way to goooo EA!!!!!

I mean, sure that's stupid because they're obviously targeting the crowd who will forget to cancel their sub but it's not like it's a huge deal. Your credit card has pretty absurd protection and you can always cancel or even charge it back if they conveniently forget to cancel when you request it.

The real issue is that adding the payment information is a separate task rather than part of creating the account/registering the code, and I don't think there is a lot of warning about it. So it's pretty easy to get the game, go to the site, put in your code, then go off to try and play the game. I think most of the "wtf I have to put in my credit card info to play??" stuff comes from the fact that it doesn't prompt you for it when you add the code in the first place. Having to go back to the site to do that makes it seem different.

25. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 09:57 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 09:47:
Hang on, hang on. You cant use your free time that you got with the game, until you SUBSCRIBE??? Oh this is getting richer by the minute!

Way to goooo EA!!!!!

I mean, sure that's stupid because they're obviously targeting the crowd who will forget to cancel their sub but it's not like it's a huge deal. Your credit card has pretty absurd protection and you can always cancel or even charge it back if they conveniently forget to cancel when you request it.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

24. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 09:51 Wallshadows

I never really followed the news on ToR and was skeptical about how well it would do based on the information I saw such as gameplay footage and how the space battles were on rails. But I have to say, actually playing the game is a much more amazing experience which really draws you in to your character and to the world.

You're actually involved with your character, the choices made, and the path you take rather than simply skipping over text. I'm actually approaching the level of Dark V and it's reflected in the items I can use and the look of my character which is fantastic! It reminds me of how much of a destructive force I am in the galaxy.

The combat, crafting, and companions are all great too. The way the crafting/gathering/mission quests work is also another great way to handle professions. It feels much more fluent and exciting than just spending time at a forge and making item or flying around collecting materials (even though you still can).

Locations really capture the Star Wars universe and can be huge.

Space combat is on rails but it's pretty much a hybrid of Star Fox and it's fun. It's a great mini-game and a nice way to collect bonus experience while sending your companions out on missions. That's really all that can be said about that.

The only problem I have with the game is the UI. Given the amount of skills I have for a Sith Marauder, I almost have no more room on my bar. I've pretty much scrutinized every ability to see which ones I don't use often and even then it's a pretty tight fit and I still have yet to obtain all of them. I wish there was a way to customize the UI or that they allowed UI support much like in WoW. I can live without threat meters and recount but a cleaner UI would work wonders.

Throw in a guild bank too would be nice.

Either way, I have been blown away by this title. Not only as an MMO but in general. I don't think I have ever 'bonded' so much to a character such as the one I made in a very long time and the transition from chapter 1 to chapter 2 was phenomenal.

Way to goooo EA!!!!!

This has been the case for every MMO I have been a part of which includes WoW, Aion, and Conan so nothing new there. You don't need to enter a CC # either, a game card will work too as long as you set it up as your subscription and then the free 30 days is tacked on.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

23. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 09:47 InBlack

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 08:14:
Jonny wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 07:36:
I've not had bad queues, around 20 minutes for a full server. Didn't really have a choice to go for a low population one because I had the full 7 days of early access.

What is really annoying me at the moment is that I'm locked out of the game until I sign up for a subscription and their subscription link times out all the damn time. They got my CC details when I bought the thing off Origin, why do they need a subscription until my month runs out?

Yep -- and if you follow their twitter thread they just took swtor and the ea shop offline to try and fix this. This is unfortunate.

It seems to me that swtor has a queue to enter their website (smart) and the ea shop does not (dumb).

Sadly, we can't play until we subscribe.

Way to goooo EA!!!!!

I have a nifty blue line!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo