Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 24, 2011, 08:46 Shadowcat

Verno: You think the old release system was a nightmare for add-on developers?! I'm struggling to believe that you can actually think that the new system is an improvement.

Add-on developers had some basis for specifying compatibility before. Now that the versions mean absolutely nothing, how are they supposed to have any idea about which future versions of the browser their add-on is going to be compatible with.

It looks to me as if most the those devs are now setting arbitrary future version numbers as being compatible with their add-ons, because even though that might not turn out to be true, it's better than the add-on breaking every few weeks when Mozilla releases a new version. One of mine says it's compatible up to version 99, because the author obviously doesn't have the time to be dealing with this nonsense.

That's a retarded situation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2011, 16:29 Ant

avianflu wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 14:22:
firefox versioning is officially ridiculous
I am still using old Firefox v3.6.xx and SeaMonkey v2.0.14 web browsers for now.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2011, 09:33 Verno

Shadowcat wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 08:40:
The "one major feature per release" policy has absolutely nothing to do with the "each release is a new major version number" policy.

Not according to Mozilla. For myself, I think it's part user perception marketing for sure but there has been a marked improvement in the browser since they implemented it which is hard to argue with. Was anyone really happy with the slow development and numerous point releases that plagued the 4.x line? It was a nightmare for addon developers and users alike, it also lead to Firefox market share stagnating due to the browser bloating up from them trying to shove too many features into every major release.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2011, 08:40 Shadowcat

The "one major feature per release" policy has absolutely nothing to do with the "each release is a new major version number" policy.

They could use semantic version numbers AND do a release each time they implement something significant. They choose not to for (IMHO) utterly retarded marketing reasons.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 16:51 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 16:40:
They release a new version for each major feature roadmap they hit

So was the "major feature" they just hit two finger swiping, or support for font-stretch?

Actually it was the new Javascript engine (amongst other things). I don't know why you're making light of it either, it's a smart process compared to how they used to iterate. Since they started focusing on features a few at a time the browser has rapidly improved. Every change can't herald something innovative as the commercial software world well knows. This is very similar to the process Chrome used to make its rapid ascent to the top of the browser market - both in quality and market share.

The reason we have versioning numbers is to give people an idea of what's been changed. 3.0.9, for example (assuming previous version was 3.0.8) would let people know that it's a minor bug fix. 3.1.8 would let people know it's a major bug fix. 4.0.0 would let people know they've done a large overhaul on the program. By making almost every minor change to Firefox lead to a new version, they've basically thrown out that system.

It depends on your perspective. Versioning is used internally first, how external users view it is usually a secondary considersation. They haven't totally broken away from your description either, they are still issuing point releases for bug fixes for example. They have changed their development process and the versioning system was meant to reflect those changes. Instead of constant bug fix patches and long delays between major releases they iterate more quickly but base their major versions on a few important development goals at a time.

It's really improved the state of the browser too compared to where it was mired in the 4.x days. Eventually they'll likely move to background updating anyway (its already being worked on), making this all a moot point. What's really important, the number or the browser itself? They expect you to keep updating no matter, that's the mantra from all of the major browsers now. Whether that's appropriate or not is a different discussion.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2011, 17:04.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 16:40 Bhruic

They release a new version for each major feature roadmap they hit

So was the "major feature" they just hit two finger swiping, or support for font-stretch?

The reason we have versioning numbers is to give people an idea of what's been changed. 3.0.9, for example (assuming previous version was 3.0.8) would let people know that it's a minor bug fix. 3.1.8 would let people know it's a major bug fix. 4.0.0 would let people know they've done a large overhaul on the program. By making almost every minor change to Firefox lead to a new version, they've basically thrown out that system.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 15:42 Verno

Halo wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 15:31:
I think it's because one headline reads 9.0 is out and another reads 3.6.25 is out. Not because they don't understand updates.

Somehow I doubt that judging by the responses but in any case, 3.x is on life support for the corporate world/internet curmudgeons.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 15:31 Halo

Verno wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 14:57:
They release a new version for each major feature roadmap they hit, I don't see what's so difficult to understand about it. It's a number, why does it bother you so much? Chrome has been doing it for years already. Previously Mozilla struggled to hit development targets and were falling far behind on features. This is exactly what they needed and it's let them hit feature parity with other browsers while improving on oft complained about things.

Before - Many features developed for significant revision, milestones constantly missed and dev targets late while features slip

After - One major feature for each major iteration instead of throwing the kitchen sink into each release, they are actually hitting release targets and bringing the browser back up to parity with competition

But blargghh that number bugs me rarrr! Pretend it's Firefox 3.0.9 or something, sheesh. The number doesn't matter in the slightest to the end user other than giving them something to identify, the update content does.

I think it's because one headline reads 9.0 is out and another reads 3.6.25 is out. Not because they don't understand updates.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 15:02 Overon

Firefox versioning is the same as google's chrome. Google's chrome automatically updates itself in the background with none the wiser.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 14:57 Verno

They release a new version for each major feature roadmap they hit, I don't see what's so difficult to understand about it. It's a number, why does it bother you so much? Chrome has been doing it for years already. Previously Mozilla struggled to hit development targets and were falling far behind on features. This is exactly what they needed and it's let them hit feature parity with other browsers while improving on oft complained about things.

Before - Many features developed for significant revision, milestones constantly missed and dev targets late while features slip

After - One major feature for each major iteration instead of throwing the kitchen sink into each release, they are actually hitting release targets and bringing the browser back up to parity with competition

But blargghh that number bugs me rarrr! Pretend it's Firefox 3.0.9 or something, sheesh. The number doesn't matter in the slightest to the end user other than giving them something to identify, the update content does.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 14:28 nin

Yeah, it's pretty stupid. I've got to where I just ignore their announcements anymore.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 21, 2011, 14:22 avianflu

firefox versioning is officially ridiculous  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo